How to create two shares for one directory? RRS feed

• Question

• I would like to move to WHS in the very near future but I have one issue.
    I currently use a Windows server and I have a few shares.  (example:   MUSIC)
    I keep the shares Read Only and then use the $  administrative share to update with Write access.

How can I create a Read Only share on a WHS and also a Writable share to the share directory?

Thank you.
    Saturday, September 12, 2009 1:06 AM

All replies

• Windows Home Server doesn't permit you to create and manage multiple shares that are all tied to the same physical directory.

Before you make the move to Windows Home Server, I encourage you to read all the information available through this page . You will learn a great deal about the product.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, September 12, 2009 3:02 AM
  • Yes, thank you for the response.
    I have read a lot about home server and I have even run a demo of WHS. (that is how I discovered my problem).

I really want to use WHS to take advantage of the aggregation features.
    I was hoping someone could help me create a Read Only share and a Write share to the same directory.
    I like to have everyone (including me) in the house access the Pictures share via Read Only. I only want Write access when it is time to update. I don't want to have to change users. I would like to connect to a different share (same Pictures directory) for Write access.

Can anyone suggest a work around?
    Thank you
    Saturday, September 12, 2009 10:46 AM
  • As I've already said, working within the Windows Home Server management tools it's not possible to do what you want.

It is, however, possible to create a share that is completely outside of the normal Windows Home Server management tools. Doing so is unsupported, and you will have to manage the share (and all permissions) yourself. Such a share should be placed outside of the Windows Home Server storage pool (i.e. on a separate disk added just for the purpose), as Windows Home Server expects to have complete control over everything in the pool.

Your best workaround is to assign most users READ access, and yourself WRITE access.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, September 12, 2009 1:07 PM