Share Internet on WHS ? RRS feed

• Question

• hi everyone,

I retrieved an old PC with a C3 processor. I installed WHS and I want to share the internet connection (WiFi) WHS with my XBOX360.

I saw nothing in the settings to share my connection.

It is my recommendation to create a NAS to share my connection with the Xbox360

This method works for internet on my gaming console and access files from WHS.

But since I created the NAS, it is impossible for home computers that connect to WHS and access files, no streaming and no remote control.

Is it possible to share its Internet connection with my xbox 360 and to access all the functions of WHS (Streaming etc..)?

Thank you
    Wednesday, November 11, 2009 3:50 PM

All replies

• You should get a router, rather than trying to configure Routing and Remote Access Services (RRAS) on your server. First, RRAS is unsupported on Windows Home Server, and it's a violation of the EULA to enable it. Second, RRAS requires the server to have two separate network connections. This is often called "multi-homing", and Windows Home Server is not designed to work in a multi-homed network environment, so you may experience a number of issues such as inability to back up home computers, inability to access the Remote Access web site internally or from the Internet, inability to access the console and/or shares, etc.

Consumer routers aren't particularly expensive, and overall they're a much better solution to the problem.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, November 11, 2009 4:01 PM
  • Thank you for your reply. I have a router (livebox) in my living room. My game console and WHS are in a room. So I find it difficult to access the Internet without using ICS.

I am willing to invest in a router to get internet in my room and connect my game console, but I do not know what type of router is capable of such a thing.

The WiFi on the Xbox 360 is a good solution but I found the WiFi adapter rather more (more expensive than a router or a wireless card for PC)
    Wednesday, November 11, 2009 4:11 PM
  • This is not really the forum for teaching the basics of network topology, but in general you want your Internet connection (broadband modem of some sort, I assume) connected to the WAN port on your router. Then you connect all of your internal devices to your router through either LAN ports on the router, or a switch connected to your router, or through a wireless access point connected to (or built in to) your router, or all of the above. :) You don't need a second router if you already have one, you simply need to make the one you already have the first device in line on your internet connection. In other words, the Xbox Wifi adapter (or a wired connection) is the recommended configuration.

Unfortunately, Windows Home Server will not do what you want.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, November 11, 2009 4:21 PM
  • I do not how it's possible, but I just call again the NAS in order to play online with Xbox 360 and access the file server rather than let the ICS for other PC in the house and strangely, it little access to the server with any PC. However no streaming, console and remote control: (

Does Windows Server 2003 would be a solution?
    Wednesday, November 11, 2009 6:47 PM
  • Finally this configuration did not work for long. Windows Home Server does not seem to offer me what I want. Is this with Windows Server 2003 I will be able to share Internet and my files on my home network?
    Friday, November 13, 2009 2:29 PM