Update Rollup for Windows Home Server 2011 (KB2630434) RRS feed

• General discussion

• This was in today’s updates, only issue that I am seeing at this point is in
    the "view alerts". It is now saying "The “Retrieve additional information
    from the Internet” option is not enabled".

I don't want this enabled, there was a fix in this to disable overwriting
    music file tags.

Here is the link to what was included on this rollup-

• Changed type Ken Warren Saturday, February 18, 2012 2:00 AM Not a question...
    Wednesday, February 15, 2012 3:24 AM

All replies

• This is another stupid alert.  I did a lot of work to insure I had high quality album covers and do not want them overwritten with low quality crap.

THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT I DO NOT WANT!! "After you enable this option, information for your customized music album may be overwritten by the latest information from the Internet."

Texas

• Edited by TxRedCat Wednesday, February 15, 2012 5:57 AM
    Wednesday, February 15, 2012 5:44 AM
  • Well, to some extent I can understand this. We're getting the alert (a) because the default behaviour of WHS 2011 has been changed from downloading metadata and writing it into the media files to the new default of not doing that and (b) an alert has been implemented to show that metadata is not being downloaded.

Suppose that Microsoft had not changed the default. Then I suspect those people who are blithely unaware of the metadata sync task (and the likely damage it's doing) would continue to be blithely unaware. And new users, having set up the brand new WHS 2011 installations, would also be unaware of the danger.

At least this way, everyone who has, up until now, been unaware of this issue is now going to get the alert, which hopefully will prompt them to think about the metadata issue. They now have the choice to either set the "ignore alert" switch, or revert to turning the sync task back on.

I just wish that Microsoft had bothered to update the Help pages about this issue. They still say nothing about it (or even about the newly-implemented checkbox). This is not helpful for the "Home user"...

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 12:21 PM
  • When it says "The option is not enabled" is there now a way of setting that option in the Dashboard?

I have it disabled, but by disabling the Task in Task Scheduler and since the update, I have not received the Alert reported above!

So microsoft does listen after all.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 7:21 PM
  • Phil - it's a new checkbox on the Media Settings page of the Server Settings in the Dashboard. See http://gcoupe.wordpress.com/2012/02/15/whs-2011-and-metadata/
    Wednesday, February 15, 2012 8:49 PM
  • Geoff

Thanks - nowhad a chance to look and it's there. Have you played with it? Does it just disable the scheduled task? I also receive the Alert which I immediately set to "Ignore".

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 11:17 PM
  • I installed the latest Update Rollup for WHS 2011 last night (along with a few other .NET updates) and now I can no longer see shared files in the "Remote Web Access: Shared Folders" window.  The folders show up in the left-hand navigation pane, but there is nothing in the right-hand file/folder navigation pane at any level below the HOMESERVER level, not even folders.  Has anyone else reported anything like this?

Steve

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 11:37 PM
  • Phil,

Did you disable this in Task Scheduler on WHS 2011 before this update? I am
    wondering if it was already disabled and then this update went through that
    might be causing this alert to come up.

Thursday, February 16, 2012 1:36 AM
  • Don

Yes it was disabled before the update but see my second post - I am now seeing the alert.

Thursday, February 16, 2012 1:51 AM
  • ... Does it just disable the scheduled task? ...
    Yes.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Thursday, February 16, 2012 2:36 AM
  • The alert is normal, and is informational only. 

First, a shout-out to the WHS team for making this update rollup available.  I appreciate the change to give more control over this behavior on the server.

I'm not excusing Microsoft for this issue--special considerations should be made for server data, and this feature should have been user opt-in all along.  That said, my strong advice to the those who have been complaining about this issue is that Folder.jpg is *not* the appropriate way to store your high-resolution album art.  In current versions of Windows, this is a hidden Windows system file, the use of which is not documented or exposed to end-users.  If you write to this file directly you should expect Windows to overwrite it--this is not a "flaw" in Windows Media Player, but expected behavior.

Writing to Folder.jpg directly is a bad habit that developed in the Windows XP era.  If you want high resolution album artwork for your media files, the best place to store the artwork is in the files themselves.  This is better than storing artwork at the folder level for many reasons.  There are a number of tools available that can import high-resolution artwork to your audio media (mp3tag is a good, safe choice).  (Don't use WMP, as it downsamples the artwork to 200 x 200 when importing to the file.)

It sucks that Microsoft still has a 200px limit on folder-level artwork, but "gaming the system" or trying to outsmart Windows is not the best way to do this.

Thursday, February 16, 2012 1:31 PM
  • I installed the latest Update Rollup for WHS 2011 last night (along with a few other .NET updates) and now I can no longer see shared files in the "Remote Web Access: Shared Folders" window.  The folders show up in the left-hand navigation pane, but there is nothing in the right-hand file/folder navigation pane at any level below the HOMESERVER level, not even folders.  Has anyone else reported anything like this?

Steve

I have same issue Steve, not one single file or folder!

/Hans

Thursday, February 16, 2012 3:10 PM

Steve

/Hans

Have the same problem in IE v.9.x (not Firefox), but added to the URL to "Trusted Sites" & the problem was resolved.
    Friday, February 17, 2012 4:47 PM

Steve

/Hans

Have the same problem in IE v.9.x (not Firefox), but added to the URL to "Trusted Sites" & the problem was resolved.

I have 11 users with logins that now can NOT access their folders.  I added as trusted site and still can not see shared folders.

Texas

• Edited by TxRedCat Friday, February 17, 2012 5:13 PM
    Friday, February 17, 2012 5:09 PM
  • Standard troubleshooting steps will apply:

• Clear your cache
    • Clear your cookies
    • Clear your browser history
    • Try a different browser

For what it's worth, it's not likely to be a global issue with the update, since not everyone is having a problem.

Friday, February 17, 2012 5:47 PM
  • And now today it's working, havent done anything... very strange
    Friday, February 17, 2012 6:16 PM
  • I found that the update removed all of the user permissions from the shared folders.   From the Dashboard select "Server Folders and Hard Drives" select the "Server Folders" tab.  Right click on your shared folders and select "View the folder properties" select the "Sharing" tab and set the correct Access level for each user.  The update had changed all of shared folders to "No access".  Problem resolved.

Texas

Friday, February 17, 2012 8:03 PM
  • Please submit a bug report on Connect (you may need to register first, then join the Windows Home Server program).

Saturday, February 18, 2012 2:00 AM
  • How do you submit a Bug report for WHS 2011, the WHS tool kit dowload and instructions on the Connect Home Page are all for V1?

The roll up update now causes all my clients to pop up health notifications about the server and connector errors that the servers version is newer than the client (even after updating all the clients).  So I get yellow then blue pop up notifications then everything goes back to green.  Server sees all the client computers and appears to be backing them and itself up (praying). 

Crashing around the net on different WHS boards there is talk of this with others (including here) so it's not just a one off issue.

Paul

• Edited by PaulNJ Saturday, February 18, 2012 11:51 AM correction
    Saturday, February 18, 2012 11:45 AM
  • How do you submit a Bug report for WHS 2011, the WHS tool kit dowload and instructions on the Connect Home Page are all for V1?

Yes - Microsoft have never bothered to update that page. Shows the degree of care that they take over the WHS 2011 product, I think.

Anyway, what you need is this: Instructions and download link for Log Collector: http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=27567

Saturday, February 18, 2012 12:05 PM

• Click "Feedback".
    • Search for feedback someone else has submitted that matches your issue (you won't find any). Searching first is mandatory, because otherwise there would be a thousand minor variations on "Add Media Center to WHS", which just makes Connect hard for everyone to use. 
    • Click "Submit feedback".
    • You should be given the option to submit a suggestion, or a bug report. Choose to submit a bug report.

After submitting the bug report, Microsoft will likely ask for logs. They should also provide instrucitons for collecting and attaching those logs to the bug report, or you can use the link that Geoff provided to install the log collector and just deal with it all "up front". It's important to note that uploading logs using an automated tool, in the absence of a bug report, is useless, as Microsoft will have no way to figure out that any given set of logs is associated with any specific bug report. 

Saturday, February 18, 2012 2:43 PM
  • Saturday, February 18, 2012 4:02 PM
  •  I fyou'd read the thread I think you'd have seen that this is a newly "as designed" behavior to compensate for a newly "as designed" feature to not have these updates performed whether you want them to be or not.
    Saturday, February 18, 2012 7:01 PM
  • Exactly, it really ain't a bug - it's really a feature!
    Saturday, February 18, 2012 7:43 PM
  • What I filed is that it is constantly in the alerts window, I can�??t find a way to stop it from showing up.

So, why is it in there all the time, what isn�??t working?

I know it is a feature, it is what was needed.
    Saturday, February 18, 2012 11:21 PM
  • Just select the Alert in the Alert screen and click "Ignore this Alert". The blue informational icon of the Alert will then turn grey. It will continue to show up in the Alert screen as a greyed-out Alert, but it won't be counted in the Alert summary listed at the top of the Dashboard.
    Sunday, February 19, 2012 7:46 AM
  • What I filed is that it is constantly in the alerts window, I can�??t find a way to stop it from showing up.
    So, why is it in there all the time, what isn�??t working?
    I know it is a feature, it is what was needed.

Presumably, you can stop if from showing up by re-enabling the scheduled media synchronization.

I think it's clear that Microsoft views media library metadata synchonization as a beneficial feature for most users.  (After all, how many consumers are really going to replace the hidden, system folder.jpg files with their own files?)  The informational message is there as a reminder to those who may have inadvertenty changed this setting.

For those of us who really do want this feature disabled, it's no great hardship to simply mark the alert as ignored, and then it no longer shows up in the Launchpad.

• Edited by Gary Voth Monday, February 20, 2012 12:25 AM
    Monday, February 20, 2012 12:24 AM
  • Presumably, you can stop if from showing up by re-enabling the scheduled media synchronization. ...

This. For the average home user, it probably is beneficial; I know of folks who have thousands of tracks that they've collected from <cough>P2P networks<cough>, with tags of variable quality, often no album art, etc.

Monday, February 20, 2012 2:55 PM
  • Then I guess I'm just not average. I personally own every CD that I've ripped to WHS 2011, have never downloaded stuff from P2P networks, and still the damn media synchronisation service gets it wrong and pollutes the quality of my metadata.
    • Edited by Geoffc1 Monday, February 20, 2012 3:10 PM
    Monday, February 20, 2012 3:10 PM
  • I am with you on this one Geoffc1 - does that make us both abnormal?

Monday, February 20, 2012 3:32 PM
  • ... does that make us both abnormal?
    Not at all. I have over half a terabyte of audio, all carefully tagged. (That's 35,000 tracks of Apple Lossless media.) But I know plenty of people with twice that number of tracks who feel like tagging isn't really important, as long as they get the latest Nine Inch Nails release from a torrent the day it goes on sale.

Monday, February 20, 2012 9:25 PM
  • Hi TxRedCat,

Could you open a connect bug and attach your server logs? The issue you specified is quite interesting and we'd like to have more investigation on it.

Thanks

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 1:15 AM
  • Hi TxRedCat,

Could you open a connect bug and attach your server logs? The issue you specified is quite interesting and we'd like to have more investigation on it.

Thanks

Bug was submitted:

https://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/feedback/details/726181/remote-user-folders-missing-after-installing-update-rollup-for-windows-home-server-2011-kb2630434

Texas

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 7:15 PM
  • I had the same problem as others, that after the update I could not see the files or folders in the right pane of the remote shared folders. Same problem on several client computers. xxx.homeserver.com site already set as trusted in IE settings. Chrome worked fine. I cleaned temp files i IE. No change. Then I can CCleaner, and now the files and folders are back in IE.
    Wednesday, February 22, 2012 7:37 PM