WHS does not shutdown RRS feed

• Question

• WHS will not shutdown when shutdown is selected from the server itself or from the console. It will however reboot on command from the server or from the console. It disconnects from the network properly and goes through the shutdown routine right up to the point that it should power off. The only way to shut it down is to power it off with the switch after all activity ceases. When it is restarted there are no warnings about improper shutdown and there are no related errors in the logs. Otherwise it works well and operation seem normal. I've spent some time searching this forum but have not found similar issues.

It is a fresh install of WHS from the 120 Day Eval disk (Build 3790 SP2). All of the updates have been installed. The only non MS software installed is a VIA Velocity Gigabit lan driver.

The server doesn't seem to be giving much for clues... has anyone had a similar experience - Thanks!
    Saturday, May 2, 2009 8:38 PM

Answers

• WHS will not shutdown when shutdown is selected from the server itself or from the console. It will however reboot on command from the server or from the console. It disconnects from the network properly and goes through the shutdown routine right up to the point that it should power off. The only way to shut it down is to power it off with the switch after all activity ceases. When it is restarted there are no warnings about improper shutdown and there are no related errors in the logs. Otherwise it works well and operation seem normal. I've spent some time searching this forum but have not found similar issues.

It is a fresh install of WHS from the 120 Day Eval disk (Build 3790 SP2). All of the updates have been installed. The only non MS software installed is a VIA Velocity Gigabit lan driver.

The server doesn't seem to be giving much for clues... has anyone had a similar experience - Thanks!

My guess would be some sort of hardware issue/conflict.  If this is a fresh install (no data on the server), I would start by doing another New Installation.  Once it's complete, try shutting down before installing any drivers or updates.  If it works at that point, try installing the NIC driver, reboot the server, then after it's done rebooting, try shutting down.  If it still works at that point, proceed with the updates.
    • Marked as answer by silentserver Sunday, May 3, 2009 12:32 AM
    Saturday, May 2, 2009 11:16 PM
  • My guess would be some sort of hardware issue/conflict.  If this is a fresh install (no data on the server), I would start by doing another New Installation.  Once it's complete, try shutting down before installing any drivers or updates.  If it works at that point, try installing the NIC driver, reboot the server, then after it's done rebooting, try shutting down.  If it still works at that point, proceed with the updates.

kariya,

You were right about it being a hardware issue. I had already been thinking about starting over as you suggested and bring it back in stages to isolate the problem. But before I went to that trouble it seemed to make sense to try removing the LAN driver. I removed it and the server would shutdown; reinstalled it and no shutdown. Dug around on the viaarena site and found a new driver and installed it. Shutdown and operation are normal now.

Thanks for your thoughts, they helped a lot and made it easy to get it working properly.
    • Marked as answer by silentserver Sunday, May 3, 2009 12:36 AM
    Sunday, May 3, 2009 12:31 AM

All replies

My guess would be some sort of hardware issue/conflict.  If this is a fresh install (no data on the server), I would start by doing another New Installation.  Once it's complete, try shutting down before installing any drivers or updates.  If it works at that point, try installing the NIC driver, reboot the server, then after it's done rebooting, try shutting down.  If it still works at that point, proceed with the updates.
    • Marked as answer by silentserver Sunday, May 3, 2009 12:32 AM
    Saturday, May 2, 2009 11:16 PM
  • My guess would be some sort of hardware issue/conflict.  If this is a fresh install (no data on the server), I would start by doing another New Installation.  Once it's complete, try shutting down before installing any drivers or updates.  If it works at that point, try installing the NIC driver, reboot the server, then after it's done rebooting, try shutting down.  If it still works at that point, proceed with the updates.

kariya,

You were right about it being a hardware issue. I had already been thinking about starting over as you suggested and bring it back in stages to isolate the problem. But before I went to that trouble it seemed to make sense to try removing the LAN driver. I removed it and the server would shutdown; reinstalled it and no shutdown. Dug around on the viaarena site and found a new driver and installed it. Shutdown and operation are normal now.

Thanks for your thoughts, they helped a lot and made it easy to get it working properly.
    • Marked as answer by silentserver Sunday, May 3, 2009 12:36 AM
    Sunday, May 3, 2009 12:31 AM