Cant change my Windowx XP Pro Key with KeyUpdateTool_enu.exe tool. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,
    Few days ago, i bouth a new system. But i lost my windows xp CD. Its an OEM Pro with genuine cd Key.
    So i decided to install an old windows that i got from school. This old windows is now a Blocked VLK, in the past it worked fine, but now its blocked, so i cannont make windows updated!
    Well, now i would like to change my blocked CD key with my original oem one.
    Went i run the KeyUpdateTool_enu.exe, it says:
    "The product key could not be updated on your computer. This may be due to technical difficulties or network conectivity issues."
    Ive made a lots of research and found that it could be the a firewall, antivirus, antimalware/antispyware or the ISP.
    Well, i unistalled my antivirus, disabled the only firewall that i have( windows firewall) and i get to my friends houses(they have differents ISP than me) to see if could by the internet.
    I called  my ISP support, they say that My ISP dont have any Proxy at all and i can accept any kind of conection.
    My system date/time is syncronised with windows time server.

I think that the whole problem here is the "This may be due to technical difficulties" part...
    Can anyone help help me please?
    Tuesday, March 17, 2009 8:41 PM

Answers

• Oh, dint know about that. The Updater needs to be more specific.^^
    Anyways tanks. Am gona buy a new XP licence, it says 199 for canadian users. :P
    Tanks for the info.
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Wednesday, March 18, 2009 5:34 PM
    Wednesday, March 18, 2009 5:30 PM

All replies

• Tato,

Your best option is to contact the Technical Support section of the manufacturer of your system. Next you want to ask for them to send you the recovery media software for your particular model system. There may be a nominal charge for this but this way you know you are getting the orginal and genuine software.

Thank you Tato,

Stephen
    Attention All Forum Users: Please Do Not post your issue in someone else's Thread...Create your own which will help minimize confusion. If any post fixes your issue, please click the "Post was Helpful" button for that post. This will help us showcase the threads that best help our customers. Thank you, Stephen Holm
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Tuesday, March 17, 2009 8:48 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by TATO Mtl Tuesday, March 17, 2009 10:09 PM
    Tuesday, March 17, 2009 8:48 PM
  • No, is not a manufactured system.
    I buy separated parts, motherboard, gpu, cpu, and build my system.
    The windows that i had was a XP Pro Oem. I still have the key.
    Like this one:
    http://www.acesoluciones.com.ar/acesoluciones/catalog/images/xp%20pro.jpg
    Tuesday, March 17, 2009 8:50 PM
  • Why the KeyUpdateTool_enu.exe is not working?
    Can someone help me with some workaround?
    Tanks.
    Tuesday, March 17, 2009 10:07 PM
  • Tato,

Please follow the steps on the sticky post http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/genuinewindowsxp/thread/c2be4a37-9ac3-4674-9b30-08fdc9b99dd8 and run the MGA Diagnostic Tool.  When you have completed this please provide us with your results.

Thank you

Stephen
    Attention All Forum Users: Please Do Not post your issue in someone else's Thread...Create your own which will help minimize confusion. If any post fixes your issue, please click the "Post was Helpful" button for that post. This will help us showcase the threads that best help our customers. Thank you, Stephen Holm
    Tuesday, March 17, 2009 10:18 PM
  • I have done everything from the link that you posted.
    Still not working.
    WGADiag do not show the repair option.
    I installed the oga.
    Windows Product Key Update Tool seems to have a problem, it stop responding afther 1-2 minutes of inactivity. Then it shows the same error message.
    What else do i need to install to be able to change my windows version?
    Tuesday, March 17, 2009 10:46 PM
  • Tato,

Please run the tool and physically paste the results here so I can analyze what your seeing.

Thank you,

Stephen
    Tuesday, March 17, 2009 11:35 PM
  • Can anyone help me with this please?

Wednesday, March 18, 2009 3:38 AM
  •  Hello TATO Mtl,

As I understand your situation, you are trying to update the installed product key for Windows XP Pro on a newly purchased computer.  The current installation was done with a CD and PK that you received thru school, but as it turns out, that PK is no longer valid and is blocked.  The PK you are attempting to use with the Updater is a PK from an OEM copy of XP Pro from your original computer.

Please understand that the PK Updater utility is not going to complete the process because what you are tyring to do violates the End User Licensing Agreement (EULA) for the original OEM copy of XP.

As a rule, OEM licenses for Windows Operating Systems are permanently tied to the computer onto which they are first installed and are not permitted to be moved to any other computer.  By trying to update the bad PK with your existing OEM PK, you are in effect trying to move that OEM license from the old computer to the new computer and that is a violation of the EULA.

You can verify this by starting the old computer, click Start>Run, then type in winver and click OK, then click the link to view the EULA that applies to that specific installation.

In order to run Windows on your new computer, please visit your favorite trusted local or online retailer and purchase a Full Retail copy of the Windows version and edition of your choice.

Alternately, you may want to follow the nongenuine prompts you are seeing to order a Windows Genuine Advantage Kit, which consists of a Genuine Product Key emailed to you and a genuine XP Pro CD that will be mailed to you in several weeks.  If you are in the USA, this sells for $149 delivered and is actually much cheaper (half-price) than buying a full retail copy of XP Pro, which usually sells for around $299.

You might also consider installing the Beta version of Windows 7, which is free (but of course is a beta release) or you might want to try a Linux distro.
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Wednesday, March 18, 2009 5:11 PM
  • Oh, dint know about that. The Updater needs to be more specific.^^
    Anyways tanks. Am gona buy a new XP licence, it says 199 for canadian users. :P
    Tanks for the info.
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Wednesday, March 18, 2009 5:34 PM
    Wednesday, March 18, 2009 5:30 PM
  • Hello TATO Mtl,

Once you process your order for the WGA Kit, you will be emailed a Product Key.  You will also get a genuine hologrammed XP Pro CD and Certificate of Authenticity in the mail in a few weeks.

You can try to use the Product Key Updater with the new Product Key to "genuine-ize" your current installation.  The PK Updater may or may not be able to complete the task (as you have experienced) if there are too many "hacked and cracked" files on the current installation.  If that happens, you should wait until the genuine CD arrives, then do a clean installation of XP onto the computer after backing up and offloading your valuable files.

Good Luck!
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Wednesday, March 18, 2009 5:36 PM
  • Can i transfer programs configuration and programs files softwares from this Windows XP to the new One? Or i need to re-install all my programs, plugins, bla bla bla? ^^
    Wednesday, March 18, 2009 6:07 PM
  • Hello TATO Mtl,

You can use the XP Files and Settings Transfer Wizard to move files, settings, and email (if using Outlook or Outlook Express) from your current installaton of XP to the new one.

The FAST does not move the actual program files themselves, you do that by doing a fresh installation of your programs from disc or from download.

Here are some links to check out for all the details:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/winxp/migrate.mspx

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/293118

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/fast.html
    Wednesday, March 18, 2009 6:47 PM
  • Tanks for the info.
    Mush apreciated.
    Wednesday, March 18, 2009 6:48 PM