Upgrade to OEM from Trial - No options to "reinstall server" RRS feed

• Question

• I've been using WHS for 4 months with the evaluation version.  Like the product a great deal.  Being in the less than 30 days zone of the trial remaining, I purchased an OEM version.  Read the forums to prepare and attempted a reinstall...

Problem - Booting from DVD drive simply loads my trial version of WHS, I log in, then the install screen pops up in the "finalizing installation" phase.  Completes, reboots, does it again, and again, and again.

I get no options to "reinstall server".  I have a primary harddrive partioned to C: (sys) and D: (data) and 2 connected USB drives.  I'm on the verge of formatting the drive and starting over, but was hoping someone could point me in the right direction prior to going to extremes :)

Thanks
    Sunday, January 3, 2010 6:37 PM

Answers

• I get the BIOS message "Booting from CD/DVD drive", the DVD drive spins up, and then it loads identically as it would if I were booting from the hard drive with the exception that after I log in it then shows the desk top, then jumps to the WHS installation screen at step 4 (finalizing installation).
    Then I would guess you have a problem with either the DVD drive or the media.
    Wednesday, January 6, 2010 1:37 AM

All replies

• Oh, I don't get the "install server" options either, just boots to the trial, log in screen, then does the above described.
    Sunday, January 3, 2010 6:39 PM
  • I've been using WHS for 4 months with the evaluation version.  Like the product a great deal.  Being in the less than 30 days zone of the trial remaining, I purchased an OEM version.  Read the forums to prepare and attempted a reinstall...

Problem - Booting from DVD drive simply loads my trial version of WHS, I log in, then the install screen pops up in the "finalizing installation" phase.  Completes, reboots, does it again, and again, and again.

I get no options to "reinstall server".  I have a primary harddrive partioned to C: (sys) and D: (data) and 2 connected USB drives.  I'm on the verge of formatting the drive and starting over, but was hoping someone could point me in the right direction prior to going to extremes :)

Thanks
    What is the first thing you see when it boots from the DVD?  Have you tried replacing the DVD drive?
    Monday, January 4, 2010 2:32 AM
  • I get the BIOS message "Booting from CD/DVD drive", the DVD drive spins up, and then it loads identically as it would if I were booting from the hard drive with the exception that after I log in it then shows the desk top, then jumps to the WHS installation screen at step 4 (finalizing installation).

Tuesday, January 5, 2010 3:26 PM
    Then I would guess you have a problem with either the DVD drive or the media.
    Wednesday, January 6, 2010 1:37 AM
  • I doubt this is correct. I have the same problem but the WHS setup detects something that won't allow the "reinstall" to appear. I'm not sure what it is and setup is non-communicative as one might expect so I think I have to reinstall. Not very helpful, Microsoft. I have to say  I'm amazed that the product is that hard to install. Why offer free downloads if you can't offer seamless licensing? Why make it hard? Is this just rhetorical?
    Saturday, February 6, 2010 1:20 AM
  • In that case I would boot your trial version - backup the data that you need onto another medium and then install a fresh copy of the OEM Windows Home Server. 

Your system may have got itself into a state where by the Windows Home Server installer cannot detect the hardware that you have in your machine.  You could try removing hardware that you have added since your original install.
    --
    Sunday, February 7, 2010 6:21 PM