Media sharing to extenders from user created folders broken RRS feed

• Question

• Was wondering if others have seen this:

Essentially, if you try to create a folder, and then access it through an extender, you get a "you don't have permissions to access this folder".

Works fine on default music, videos, recorded TV, etc folders, which have the exact same permissions.

100% reproducable. And of course, the new folder shares work fine from normal desktop systems, its only xbox360 or linksys extender that gives this issue...If you try to manually map the share from extender with a valid userid/password, same error occurs.

Sunday, September 12, 2010 6:25 PM

All replies

• Are you creating the new shares via the dashboard not via a remote desktop login? 

Creating new shares directly off the RDP session will not link in correctly to the dashboard and can give symptoms similar to what you have described.

Dave

Sunday, September 12, 2010 8:53 PM
  • I was creating via dashboard (from the client). Tried with a brand new share however, from admin remote desktop login, and got the same problem.

If you're also seeing this, feel free to vote the bug. Its a serious one, and very easy to repro.

https://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/feedback/details/597259/cannot-access-user-created-server-folders-from-either-xbox360-or-linksys-extender

Monday, September 13, 2010 2:06 AM
  • What happens if you make the extender forget the credentials, then enter them again?
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, September 13, 2010 3:17 PM
  • No actual "credentials" since normally extender/xbox360 just connects via DLNA. If I try and map a share through the xbox360, using a valid user/pass on the home server, I get the exact same problem. Surprised more people haven't seen this, very easy to replicate 

Monday, September 13, 2010 3:50 PM
  • I'll try this evening, but I've not had trouble so far with streaming from my Vail server to my Xbox. It's always possible that your issue is installation-specific in some fashion...
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, September 13, 2010 5:04 PM
  • when you say DLNA, do you mean you are using Play To or exactly what and how?

On Mon, 13 Sep 2010 15:50:35 +0000, Proteus7 wrote:

>
    >
    >No actual "credentials" since normally extender/xbox360 just connects via DLNA. If I try and map a share through the xbox360, using a valid user/pass on the home server, I get the exact same problem. Surprised more people haven't seen this, very easy to replicate 

Barb Bowman

http://www.digitalmediaphile.com

Monday, September 13, 2010 6:05 PM
  • From the extender menu, when you browse for resources to add to the library, my understanding is that it will look for DLNA shares by default. There is also an option to add a share, with a UPN, username and password. Neither one works. The shares are seen, but the authentication error occurs.

From any desktop, there is no problem accessing those same shares. Note that this is through the media center interface on the xbox, not the video browser.

Monday, September 13, 2010 11:37 PM
  • "from any desktop" - are those machines configured with media center to extender
    pairings? I'm pretty sure that the Linksys DMA2100/2200 proprietary modes use a
    version of Windows Media Sharing.

On Mon, 13 Sep 2010 23:37:27 +0000, Proteus7 wrote:

>
    >
    >From the extender menu, when you browse for resources to add to the library, my understanding is that it will look for DLNA shares by default. There is also an option to add a share, with a UPN, username and password. Neither one works. The shares are seen, but the authentication error occurs.
    >
    >From any desktop, there is no problem accessing those same shares. Note that this is through the media center interface on the xbox, not the video browser.
    >

Barb Bowman

http://www.digitalmediaphile.com

Tuesday, September 14, 2010 9:44 AM