maxiumum size for a WHS file share? RRS feed

• Question

• I read the drive extender white paper, and did not see any reference to the maximum size allowed for a WHS share.

For example, if I were to have 6x2TB SATA drives totalling 12TB (minus formatting size, etc..) Will that work in WHS or is it going to tell me "Sorry, you can only have 8TB of total storage" or something along those lines.

Before I make an investment into WHS for my file share, I would like to know what its limits are.

Matt Kleinwaks - MSMVP MSDN Forums Moderator - www.zerosandtheone.com
    Monday, March 23, 2009 2:48 PM

Answers

• There is no published maximum size for a share. In theory, a single share can be as large as the entire storage pool; there have been servers built with 20 or more drives in the pool, so at least 30 TB would seem like the largest that you might see in the wild today. But even that's not an absolute limit.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by kleinma Monday, March 23, 2009 4:39 PM
    Monday, March 23, 2009 3:50 PM

All replies

• There is no published maximum size for a share. In theory, a single share can be as large as the entire storage pool; there have been servers built with 20 or more drives in the pool, so at least 30 TB would seem like the largest that you might see in the wild today. But even that's not an absolute limit.
    • Marked as answer by kleinma Monday, March 23, 2009 4:39 PM
    Monday, March 23, 2009 3:50 PM
  • Ken, thanks for that info. I guess maybe it was misuse of terminology on my part, but I did actually mean the entire pool, not a single share in the pool.

Anyway, if I can think of at least 30TB as a ceiling, I think I will be fine. I plan to rip my DVD collection to the home server, and then share them out to my media center PCs and to my XBOX 360s that I have in my house. I did testing over the weekend, and while it took a bit of hacking to get Home Server to be able to stream to my XBOX via Media Center (since home server itself does not come with Media Center) but finally I got it to work, and I was able to stream original MPEG2 quality DVDs to my xbox 360 from the home server, without an additional physical machine on the network to act as a bridge. I plan on doing a writeup on the process for others who may be interested.
    • Edited by kleinma Monday, March 23, 2009 4:39 PM spelling
    Monday, March 23, 2009 4:39 PM
  • kleinma said:

... I plan on doing a writeup on the process for others who may be interested. ...

That would be very useful. You may not know about the Windows Home Server microsite on Microsoft.com; the Help page has a bunch of technical briefs that you might find interesting and informative.

Monday, March 23, 2009 5:35 PM
  • I have visited it and read some of the content, no doubt I will need to read up some more though.

My main background is in programming (right now specifically in .NET) so perhaps I will even come up with a nice plugin or 2 for WHS. I have often found that sometimes even existing plugins will be lacking a feature or 2 making it a deal breaker.

Monday, March 23, 2009 5:42 PM