Time to Restore a PC approximates 2 days? RRS feed

• Question

• Greetings!

So this is the first time I've had to run a restore.  After moving this past weekend, my System Raid-0 drives took a dump and went corrupt.  I recreated the Raid and started from scratch.  I installed the correct drivers for the NIC on the EVGA X58 mobo.  I was able to connect to the WHS and select the proper backup for restoration.  I began the restoration last night around 1am CST.  I wake up this morning around 7am to see that the restore has an approximate completion time of 2 days and six hours.  I have a Raid-0 of 2x 150gb Velociraptor HDD's, for a total of around 270GB usable.  I believe that I was only using about 100GB of the 270GB available.  Is this in any way normal?  After seeing how much time was left, I canceled the operation and started it again before leaving for work.  When I get home and if I see that 2 day figure again, should I just let it ride?  Being that both the client and the server are connected over a gigabit network, I would have thought the operation wouldn't require the time it has taken so far, much less the approximation.

Thank you for your feedback,

Rock

Wednesday, May 5, 2010 3:10 PM

Answers

• For whatever reason, it worked.  I too the 2 HDD's to work, ran a format and a surface scan (test returned negative).  I popped them back in, recreated the raid, reset the bios back to defaults (again), turned on RAID for the Intel controller and AHCI+RAID for the JMicron controllers, then booted to the restoredisk, reloaded all the drivers including the raid and network drivers, and everything went fine.  There was no rhyme or reason why it worked this time and not the others.  Regardless, thanks all for the suggestions and feedback.
    • Marked as answer by rock99rock Tuesday, May 11, 2010 8:00 PM
    Tuesday, May 11, 2010 8:00 PM

All replies

• It takes long to restore this amount of data, that for sure. It has been puzzled together from the backup database, and the network may also be a bottleneck, especially since drivers in WinPE often not work up at full performance.

If you had multiple volumes on the disk, I would only restore the system volume and later the data volume(s) from inside the running system using ClientRestoreWizard.exe from C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server.

Using a RAID drive on client side may lead to unpleasant surprises attempting to boot after restore (at least I have seen this in the past).

Which network speed has the slowest component in your network (NIC on both sides/switch) btw.?

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Wednesday, May 5, 2010 3:49 PM
  • My PC is Raid-1.  I have restored it 4 times from WHS.  Everytime I have tried to restore to the raid volume, it runs forever and eventually fails.  Each time I have had to restore to a single drive and recreate the raid after.

I may be missing a step somehwere in the process, but my experience is that it has never worked for raid and always worked for a sinlge drive.

Wednesday, May 5, 2010 4:33 PM
  • Thank you for your prompt responses!

@ Olaf

I am only restoring the OS, single system volume across 2 disks as a Raid-0.  The slowest network component is nothing, as both NICs are gigabit, as well as the router they network through.  I have had transfer speeds of up to 85MB/s between the 2 computers while transferring files when in normal operation, so transfer speed should not be a bottleneck. 

The client is a Corei7 920 on an EVGA X58 mobo w/ 6GB or DDR3 ram in tri-channel running 2x 10,000rpm Velociraptors in a RAID-0 configuration (Striped 128k).  The server is an older machine OEM build of WHS (fully updated) on a Pentium Dual Core 2.8ghz on a Gigabyte GA-965p-S3 3.3 w/ 2GB ram and 6x 1.5TB Seagate 7200rpm HDD's.  If anything, the server hardware is the bottleneck, but not much of one at that.

After visiting my home during lunch, the operation again sits at the 2 day completion estimate.  It looks as though when it starts it does so quickly, estimating 18 minutes, then moving to 22 minutes, then moving to 2 days.

I am using the original PC restore disk that came with my copy of WHS.  Could that be out of date and causing issue? It states that it includes Power Pack 1, if that helps reference the age of the disk.

Wednesday, May 5, 2010 6:05 PM
  • Thank you for your response!

Unfortunately, restoring to a single drive then creating the RAID-0 is not an option, as with this particular raid configuration, the RAID-0 must exist before moving data to it.

Wednesday, May 5, 2010 6:07 PM
  • As it turns out I had to go home again to let the cable guy in. BSOD DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE. Ugh. This is starting to look like it isn't going to work. I started the restore for a 3rd time.
    Wednesday, May 5, 2010 6:49 PM
  • I just restored a laptop... about 80 GB with a time estimate of 30 minutes (I did not time it myself). So theoretical sustained speed was 45 MBps. 2 days sounds really slow.

Wednesday, May 5, 2010 8:37 PM
  • Has anyone ever successfully restored to a RAID-0 before?  If I go buy a 300gb HDD, would I be able to restore to that instead of the 2 velociraptors (2 x 150GB)?
    Thursday, May 6, 2010 1:21 PM
  • I'm starting to think that I need to load raid drivers?  I didn't think this was necessary as the full array is recognized in the WHS console as a single disk.  Are the raid drivers necessary to complete the restore task?  How do I extract the driver from the .exe that the manufacturer provides me, or do i get them from the most recent backup?
    Thursday, May 6, 2010 6:06 PM
  • If the restore starts, no additional drivers should be needed (although updated drivers sometimes may fix issues).

But you should definitively download the latest restore CD from Microsoft and use this.

You may also try to increase the DHCP renewal time in the settings of your router.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Thursday, May 6, 2010 8:35 PM
  • For whatever reason, it worked.  I too the 2 HDD's to work, ran a format and a surface scan (test returned negative).  I popped them back in, recreated the raid, reset the bios back to defaults (again), turned on RAID for the Intel controller and AHCI+RAID for the JMicron controllers, then booted to the restoredisk, reloaded all the drivers including the raid and network drivers, and everything went fine.  There was no rhyme or reason why it worked this time and not the others.  Regardless, thanks all for the suggestions and feedback.
    • Marked as answer by rock99rock Tuesday, May 11, 2010 8:00 PM
    Tuesday, May 11, 2010 8:00 PM
  • qhov no yog cov ntaub ntawv zoo tiag tiag. Ua tsaug. Kuv kawm ntau yam. 877-715-0963

• Edited by GSKJunky Thursday, January 4, 2018 7:30 PM
    Thursday, January 4, 2018 7:23 PM