WHS 2011 Installation Crash - BSOD and Backend Error RRS feed

• General discussion

• I have been trying to install WHS 2011 Server on an ASUS A8N32-SLI Motherboard using the pre-packaged OEM version for several days.  The processor is an AMD Athlon 64 3200, with 4 Gb RAM and one 300 Gb UDMA Hard Drive with 2 x 1 TB Seagate Hard Drives.  In other words, should exceed minimum system requirements.  Al hard drives are formatted and clean... (new install)

The install tries to load, gets through the Panther Stage, asks for language settings, clock settings, product key, server name and password, and then blue screens out at 1% progress on loading the server.  I have tried:

Swapping to another optical drive,

Loading to different hard drives,

Changing every BIOS setting I can think of, including turning off and removing everything except the graphics card,

Unplugging the network cable for the install, and

Logging off and back on after the system has hung to try and restart the setup.

I should also mention that I disabled one of the LAN ports, so that the system just sees one for the load, as suggested elsewhere on the forum.

I have successfully saved the logs, which I can review, but the saved *.evt logs are always corrupted, so they are no help.  I have posted a partial log that shows the error that I am getting below:

[3884] 111122.201843.8437: ICWebsite: Session starting
    [3884] 111122.201843.8437: ICWebsite: Session is hosted in SetupMon
    [3884] 111122.201844.2187: ICWebsite: Setup progress: 1 %
    [3884] 111122.201844.2656: ICWebsite: ERROR - Backend error (ProgressError.aspx)
    [1684] 111122.201844.7968: ICWebsiteBackEnd: OnNotificationRaised: SetupStageChange
    [2272] 111122.201844.8437: ICWebsite: Loading page /setup/ProgressError.aspx from host ::1
    [1684] 111122.202040.0937: ICWebsite: Received open request for: Logs

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  I plan to get a new ISO image to try as my last resort, unless anyone has any words of wisdom?

Thanks in advance...

Wednesday, November 23, 2011 3:13 AM

All replies

• A blue screen normally has a STOP code. That might be useful.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, November 23, 2011 4:05 AM
  • Stop codes vary, if it blue-screens that is.  Sometimes it just hangs and goes unresponsive, sometimes it detects the failure, stops the setup monitor and asks me to save the logs, and other times, it BSODs.  Stop codes have been Pool-Header 0x0...19, Memory_management 0x0...1A, etc...  MemTest86 says the memory is good, so I am down to two possibilities:

Bad ISO on the pre-packaged installation CD, which I will test out on Friday, and / or bad device drivers for my system in the WHS 2011 install, which I will test by creating a custom ISO on Friday, if the new burn of the install ISO doesn't fix it.  My money is on the device driver issue, due to the inconsistent crash timing, methods and codes, but I will update later when I know more.

I have been told before that the definition of insanity is trying the same thing over and over and expecting different results.  I think I am changing that to:  Insanity is trying the same thing over and over, and getting different, but always unsuccessful results each time.  I haven't been this frustrated with Microsoft since I found out that I could no longer direct sync between my new Windows 7 Phone and my own computer (like I had done for years with Windows 6 Mobile)...  Hopefully Friday will bring some resolution to this one.

In the meantime, Happy Thanksgiving!

Thursday, November 24, 2011 3:49 AM