Restore process does not succeed: "The system cannot find the path specified" RRS feed

• Question

• I implemented WHS 2011 on the 15th and set-up a W7HP 64-bit PC with the Connect software. Each early morning since, there has been a backup generated on the WHS. Today I attempt to see the backups via Dashboard's "Restore files or folders for the computer" I get:

1. "Choose a backup" shows a Successful Automatic Backup for all five days since setup

2. "Choose a volume" shows every volume on this PC with a green checkbox (fully 5 partitions)

3. "Opening the volume" of any of these progresses to "the end" but results in the subject error

So it appears that the backups have been made just fine, but there is no way to access them. The only useful log entries I've been able to find are in the W7 client PC's Applications and Services->Windows Server log, where is shown for every Restore attempt as I've outlined above, I get an entry:

Log Name:      WSSG
    Source:        Windows Server
    Date:          12/19/2011 2:30:28 PM
    Event ID:      524
    Task Category: Backup
    Level:         Information
    Keywords:      Classic
    User:          N/A
    Computer:      Quadcore
    Description:
    The backup volume QUADCORE\ mounted at \\?\Volume{3c5d780f-2a7b-11e1-b893-0014d1386dc9}\.
    Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
      <System>
        <Provider Name="Windows Server" />
        <EventID Qualifiers="20479">524</EventID>
        <Level>4</Level>
        <Task>2</Task>
        <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2011-12-19T20:30:28.000000000Z" />
        <EventRecordID>33</EventRecordID>
        <Channel>WSSG</Channel>
        <Computer>Quadcore</Computer>
        <Security />
      </System>
      <EventData>
        <Data>QUADCORE</Data>
        <Data>
        </Data>
        <Data>\\?\Volume{3c5d780f-2a7b-11e1-b893-0014d1386dc9}\</Data>
      </EventData>
    </Event>

and then after some seconds (probably the time it takes to read the volume across my Gigabit connection) I get an "unmounted" message:

Log Name:      WSSG
    Source:        Windows Server
    Date:          12/19/2011 2:30:32 PM
    Event ID:      525
    Task Category: Backup
    Level:         Information
    Keywords:      Classic
    User:          N/A
    Computer:      Quadcore
    Description:
    The backup volume QUADCORE\ unmounted from \\?\Volume{3c5d780f-2a7b-11e1-b893-0014d1386dc9}\.
    Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
      <System>
        <Provider Name="Windows Server" />
        <EventID Qualifiers="20479">525</EventID>
        <Level>4</Level>
        <Task>2</Task>
        <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2011-12-19T20:30:32.000000000Z" />
        <EventRecordID>34</EventRecordID>
        <Channel>WSSG</Channel>
        <Computer>Quadcore</Computer>
        <Security />
      </System>
      <EventData>
        <Data>QUADCORE</Data>
        <Data>
        </Data>
        <Data>\\?\Volume{3c5d780f-2a7b-11e1-b893-0014d1386dc9}\</Data>
      </EventData>
    </Event>

I don't know how to interpret these entries. Is there somewhere else I should look? Can someone please help me as this problem renders these backups-to-WHS useless of course.

• Edited by maxblack Monday, December 19, 2011 11:33 PM
    Monday, December 19, 2011 8:52 PM

Answers

• I was having the same problem - fixed it by enabling Automount, using Diskpart via an elevated command prompt:

>diskpart

DISKPART> automount enable

DISKPART> exit

• Marked as answer by maxblack Thursday, December 22, 2011 7:48 PM
    Thursday, December 22, 2011 1:36 AM

All replies

• I installed the Connect/Dashboard software to another W7HP 64-bit PC, and this 2nd PC is able to mount and view the 1st PC's backups just fine, so the server backups themselves are fine but the first PC doesn't work to access its own backups. I cross-checked Services on both, and they're identical, as are their update levels.

I guess I will try reinstalling Dashboard next.

That didn't work--same result.

One more clue? On the working computer, the log event 524 says "The backup volume QUADCORE\Z:\ mounted at \\?\Volume{...."

whereas on the QUADCORE itself, the same log entry reads "The backup volume QUADCORE\ mounted at \\?\Volume{..." i.e. no Z:

I need help.

• Edited by maxblack Monday, December 19, 2011 11:48 PM
    Monday, December 19, 2011 11:15 PM
  • Hi, Max

Please open a connect bug for it.

You can use the log collector to get the logs which is critical for us to analyze this issue. The tool can be got from

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=27567

Best Regards,

Junyong

Tuesday, December 20, 2011 7:09 AM
  • Hi, Max

Please open a connect bug for it.

You can use the log collector to get the logs which is critical for us to analyze this issue. The tool can be got from

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=27567

Best Regards,

Junyong

Your link results in:

"Page Not Found

The content that you requested cannot be found or you do not have permission to view it."

This even after I'm logged-in to Connect. Further, when I get to the MS Connect Product Directory, the only entry I can find for WHS is Read-Only.

Regarding the Log Connector, there are two types offered, a .wssx and either an x64 or x86. What do I download?

And just what do I do with the Log Connector?

I want to say something about how MS could not possibly make this more difficult, but I don't want to give anyone ideas... :-(

Tuesday, December 20, 2011 9:43 PM
  • I was having the same problem - fixed it by enabling Automount, using Diskpart via an elevated command prompt:

>diskpart

DISKPART> exit

• Marked as answer by maxblack Thursday, December 22, 2011 7:48 PM
    Thursday, December 22, 2011 1:36 AM
  • Hope RJ's comment can help resolve the problem. I met the similar problem before which is caused by some third part software turn off the setting
    Thursday, December 22, 2011 1:33 PM

>diskpart

DISKPART> exit

You win the prize RJRapson! Prior to asserting the command, I found first this link telling the registry key for automount:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverfiles/thread/263f3301-4504-4cd0-8469-68fbb788f129/

I looked-up the NoAutoMount key on my PC, and it was set to 1 meaning Disabled. I used automount enable in diskpart and checked the key again, and it read as 0 i.e. automounting Enabled. I ran Dashboard and selected a backup and it works!

Brilliant. Thank you RJRapson (and SBS Ming for confirming). Dunno how this got turned-off on this PC but I'd have never found this myself! Thanks again! :-)

Thursday, December 22, 2011 7:48 PM