External hard drive RRS feed

• Question

• I recently installed live oncre and set it up to do a clean-up and then do a back onto my external retrospect hard drive. I encountered an error that says there is no device connected to the F/ port when in fact it is connected and turned on. For what ever reason the one care does not recognize the back up device. It all worked fine when I had a free version of "AVG."
    Friday, August 8, 2008 2:30 PM

Answers

• It seems I had to go into setup for onecare and designate which backup I wanted to use. Retrospect was there and all I had to do was select it and everything was fine. Thanks for your reply.
    Monday, August 11, 2008 11:36 PM

All replies

• This issue may be caused by a conflict between the Retrospect software and the One Care backup module. Uninstalling Retrospect may resolve the issue and another option would be to continue to use Retrospect for backup and turn off One Care backup.

Friday, August 8, 2008 4:07 PM
  • Did you encounter the error while trying to set up backup or did you set it up fine and this happened during the first backup? How is the drive connected? USB, Firewire, or eSATA? Have you ever done a backup to this drive before with OneCare or were you using a different drive that was designated at F:\ for a previous backup? Is there any software installed for the drive, perhaps another backup program from Retrospect?

-steve

Friday, August 8, 2008 4:11 PM
  • It seems I had to go into setup for onecare and designate which backup I wanted to use. Retrospect was there and all I had to do was select it and everything was fine. Thanks for your reply.
    Monday, August 11, 2008 11:36 PM
  • I configured mine to use drive F and it still says it cannot find my F drive.... please help. I have a Simpletech (a fabrdik company).  Does anyone know what I can do???

Sunday, August 24, 2008 3:01 PM
  •  arncar wrote:
    I configured mine to use drive F and it still says it cannot find my F drive.... please help. I have a Simpletech (a fabrdik company).  Does anyone know what I can do???

Can you access the drive from Windows Explorer?

Do you have any software from Simpletech for backup or similar that was installed with the drive? If so, disable it.

Is this a new drive and you had a previous configuration for backup to a different destination? If so, you may need to reset the backup plan:

Open OneCare

Click Change Settings

backup tab

Click Configure Backup

Click change settings in the lower left

Make sure that the first screen for Centralized Backup has "No Centralized backup" selected

Click your PC on the left.

Uncheck the selection for "Turn on backup for this PC."

Click Next and save the revised plan.

Go back to the backup tab, configure backup and click Change Settings in the lower left once again.

Select your PC and click.

Click Turn on backup

Select the change location link and select the drive you want to use for backup

Modify the schedule as desired for "When"

Select the file types as desired for "What"

Click next and save the revised plan with the new selection.

-steve

Monday, August 25, 2008 5:51 PM

• Mr. Boots,

I am running Vista and I hate it!  I have wasted hundreds of hours in only a few months with Gates wonderful Vista, he should have waited until 2020 to release it!

I followed your instructions and it was working until I clicked on Computer which is the same thing as XP's Windows Explorer.  My Vista PC does not recognize the external HD the light comes on on the External HD.  This is where I get stuck.

Any suggestions’?

Thanks... Sam

Wednesday, August 27, 2008 12:31 AM
  • Can you access the external drive through Windows Explorer in Vista? Perhaps the drive is not formatted? If that's the case, you'll need to format the drive. In Vista, to add a drive and format it, go to Administrative Tools, Disk Management and select the drive from the list. It will probably note that it is empty with unallocated space available. Right click and create a partition and format it per the defaults.

OneCare will not be able to use the drive (or anything else for that matter) until the drive is formatted.

If the drive does not show up in Windows Explorer or Disk Management, contact the drive manufacturer for help. By the way, what type of drive is it? Does it have a power connection in addition to the USB connection? And how is it connected to the PC - directly or through a hub? If the drive is unpowered and/or connected through a hub, the USB port is not supplying enough power to spin up the drive. Connect it directly to the PC and get an external power source, if needed.

-steve

Wednesday, August 27, 2008 12:19 PM