Cannot Login To XP Professional VMWare Image (Windows Activation=Yes) RRS feed

• Question

• I created a VMware Image of XP Professional SP2.  After installing XP, I was prompted to "activate" windows.  After successfully activating XP, I keep being prompted to "Activate Windows".  I never actually get into the OS.

When I log back in to re-activate Windows, I am prompted "Windows is Already Activated, press "exit" to continue" message I am brought back to the original login screen.  The vicious circle of chaos repeats.  HELP!!!!!

Thursday, December 20, 2007 9:52 PM

Answers

• Hi Bruggemb,

I am not sure that I fully understand your issue. Can you give me an expanded description of the issue (including what base OS and what VM software you are using)

Thank you,

Darin Smith

WGA Forum Manager

Thursday, December 20, 2007 10:47 PM

All replies

• Hi Bruggemb,

I am not sure that I fully understand your issue. Can you give me an expanded description of the issue (including what base OS and what VM software you are using)

Thank you,

Darin Smith

WGA Forum Manager

Thursday, December 20, 2007 10:47 PM
  • I fully understand Bruggemb's issue - it's happening to me!

I've installed a clean, licensed version of XP Service Pack 2 onto a blank VM (I've had this happen in both VMWare and Virtual PC - it's not a virtualization problem. I've also experienced the same behaviour on Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 - the base host isn't the problem either. )

Enter the product key, progress through the install...After 1st reboot

You will be taken to the initial windows login screen, you login, and you are shown a dialog - "Windows needs to be activated before you can continue" - you click Yes...

That brings up the shiny blue Activation screen with the big funky keys on it.

You choose "Activiate over the internet"

"It says..." Thank you. Windows is now activated.

And then it kicks you back out to the login screen.

When you login again, you get the exact same performance:

you are shown a dialog - "Windows needs to be activated before you can continue"

except when you click OK, the big activation screen says, "This copy of Windows is already Activated. Clik OK to Exit"

And then you're back at the login screen again....

Is this a licensing issue? Is this windows way of telling me that I can't use that particular  product key?

I'm pretty sure that my company license entitles me to run more than one version of windows...

Wednesday, July 23, 2008 10:12 PM