Balancing does not work! RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

yes, so...

I do not know why but here on my machine the balancing does not work at all.
    I send you the error report and got the CAB 353951668 from the server and the CAB 35395124 from the main / administrating client.

My server setup is:
    P4 1,8GHz compaq machine with 6xy mb ram
    WHS installed on a 120gb harddisk
    another 120gb (a) and a 40gb (b) harddisk installed and added to the serving pool.
    after copying another around 30 gb to the server the ( d:\ ) 90gb of the system harddisk are nearly full but the server does not copy data to the other drives.
    That is the same as I realized during activating duplication, the console tells me that I have got less space on the harddisks but harddrive (a) and (b) are still empty.
    I have restarted the server, let it run for hours but nothing happend.
    I do not see the harddrives (a) and (b) under My Computer ( on the server ) but in the console and in the device manager. I do not know if that is worth beeing mentioned but that is what I wanted to tell you additionaly

If you wish some sreencaps just tell me...

Cheers from Germany, whs will change the world (maybe only mine but it will !)

Lars

Saturday, June 30, 2007 11:45 AM

Answers

• Can you from a command prompt run 'net stop qsm' and then follow the prompts, and then restart your server, and see if that solves the issue. Is your issue is still occuring please run TALQ on your server, and then post the TALQ cab # here, and we will investigate.

Thanks!

Saturday, June 30, 2007 11:57 PM

All replies

• Hi Lars. When hard discs are added to the WHS pool, they no longer appear in My Computer because WHS takes over. D: then represents all your drives. As long as the appear in the Console storage pool, that's fine.

How are you determining that a) and b) are empty?

Where on the server did you copy the files? They should only be copied to the UNC \\server\share locations, not explicitly to the drive.

Saturday, June 30, 2007 1:03 PM
  • Hi Chrash,
    ok, than I do not need to see them any more under My Computer, fine. ( First question answered ;-) )
    Because I havn´t seen the drives under My Computer I glanced around a little bit and found them in the Defragmentation tool.

http://www.mynetcologne.de/~nc-ernstsi3/whs/ms/2.jpg
    http://www.mynetcologne.de/~nc-ernstsi3/whs/ms/1.jpg
    http://www.mynetcologne.de/~nc-ernstsi3/whs/ms/3.jpg

I copied the files via network into the different shares, nearly every of this shares should be duplicated.
    But I will give it a try an copy another 8gb to the share, only 7gb are shown as free on partition d:\

Saturday, June 30, 2007 1:40 PM
  • Hmm.... that certainly doesn't seem right.

Can you open your Event Log (Control Panel > Admin Tools) and see if there are any alerts in the System log, please?

Also from Admin Tools, in the Services snap-in check the Drive Extender Migrator Service is Started and set to Manual.

Saturday, June 30, 2007 2:24 PM
  • On my way ;-)

I did not found the Drive Extender Migrator Service but I found something that is called Distributet File System, that was not activated. Activating does not change anything.
    http://www.mynetcologne.de/~nc-ernstsi3/whs/ms/zu2.jpg

In the System Log I found some errors responding to the Virtual Disc Service , Event 17

VDS fails to launch provider {F96544E6-5C8D-47B9-AA6E-FD19AB278629}. Error code: 8004241B@02000012

Saturday, June 30, 2007 2:36 PM
  • Can you from a command prompt run 'net stop qsm' and then follow the prompts, and then restart your server, and see if that solves the issue. Is your issue is still occuring please run TALQ on your server, and then post the TALQ cab # here, and we will investigate.

Thanks!

Saturday, June 30, 2007 11:57 PM
  • Ok, I will do it that afternoon.

Thanks for the help so far.
    Sunday, July 1, 2007 10:07 AM
  • After an afternoon trying to get my hardware back up running I am finished with this old damn stuff.

But before I destroyed the hardware I did want you asked me to do.

4 Services were stopped and I restarted the server. But it did not started the balancing activity. But you should be lucky because I found out that the hardware was not working correctly. One IDE Cable nearly fell apart when I touched it...

So, finally I would guess we could close that post.

I am sorry about your fears

Lars
    Sunday, July 1, 2007 3:28 PM
  • I just tried checking out how the drives were being filled through the disk defragment program, and it seems mine isn't balancing properly either, even though the console is telling me it was balanced:

I'm trying the net stop qsm thing as we speak. It now says its balancing the storage in the console, maybe now it'll work right.

Also, while I was doing this, I got a notification using the desktop software of a drive being damaged, but the console says its healthy. What could possibly cause that?

Edit:  Nope, didn't seem to help, did the talq thing:   CAB 354293570
    Sunday, July 1, 2007 11:28 PM