WHS, Vista and VPN RRS feed

• Question

• Being frustrated I am asking this quesiton everywhere I can think of, so . . .

My home network consists of two laptops, one running Vista SP1 and one running XP SP2, two desktops, one with Vista SP1 and one with XP SP2 and the WHS. The home network and related WHS functions all work well. However, I have set up a vpn to my work place.

On the XP systems all works well, I can log in to the vpn, authenticate my login id and then remote desktop to office computers. However, on the Vista systems while the connection is made, my login credentials will not authenticate. Vista is obviously not sneding the correct credentials.

Has anyone encountered WHS interferring with Vista sending vpn connection info?

Thanks

Saturday, April 12, 2008 7:43 PM

All replies

• My problem was that VPN took over DNS, so you couldn't find the home server anymore.  In my case, it's a VPN problem, not a WHS problem.

Start a DOS box, and enter the command ping <MYHOMESRV>, where you place your server name in place of <MYHOMESRV>.  You should see something like the following:

C>ping MYHOMESRV

Pinging MYHOMESRV [192.168.0.195] with 32 bytes of data:
    Reply from 192.168.0.195: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128
    Reply from 192.168.0.195: bytes=32 time=1ms TTL=128

Ping statistics for 192.168.0.195:
        Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
        Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 1ms, Average = 0ms

Did you notice that there is a IP address assigned to MYHOMESRV?  If you don't have an IP address showing, or the IP address is something completely wacky, then you have the problem that VPN takes over the DNS and your home server is no longer visible to DNS anymore.

In my case, I setup my router so the home server gets a fixed IP address (entered my router's DHCP web page, and set the home server DHCP lease as never expires).  Then I added an entry to the HOSTS file into each local PC, which has the home server name and IP address.

Here is another article that talks about the whole DNS process locally:

http://blogs.msdn.com/eldar/archive/2007/04/28/windows-home-server-client-join-troubleshoooting-hints.aspx

DDanster

Saturday, April 12, 2008 9:10 PM