malware RRS feed

• Question

• it seems that my site is infected with malware. the site status shows that it is. in the center fall update of the blog it says that the help section provides advice on how to fix the problem. I searched the section but didn't find it. can anyone give me the link or give some advice?
    Saturday, November 29, 2008 11:25 AM

Answers

• Have you talked to your hosting provider?  It would be in their own best interest to help you get rid of the malware.

... Duane

Sunday, November 30, 2008 12:10 PM
  • You need to change providers, and restore the website from the original files you uploaded, not the provider's backups.  If you have no backups yourself, and have to rely on your provider's backup (or the website itself), then you might have to pay your new provider to help with the transfer and eliminate the malware when they move files over.  Don't select a new provider unless you first know they can do that for you.

... Duane

Monday, December 1, 2008 2:39 AM

All replies

• Have you talked to your hosting provider?  It would be in their own best interest to help you get rid of the malware.

... Duane

Sunday, November 30, 2008 12:10 PM
  • yes, I've talked to them. unfortunately, they are not really competent and consumer orientated. they won't do anything
    Sunday, November 30, 2008 3:59 PM
  • You need to change providers, and restore the website from the original files you uploaded, not the provider's backups.  If you have no backups yourself, and have to rely on your provider's backup (or the website itself), then you might have to pay your new provider to help with the transfer and eliminate the malware when they move files over.  Don't select a new provider unless you first know they can do that for you.

... Duane

Monday, December 1, 2008 2:39 AM
  • well, isn't there any possibility to remove the malware by myself? there should be tools for that

I have backups of the site but I don't know when the page was infected with malware. so the backups may be infected, too. and I don't want to use a backup from months ago, where I need to redo all changes I made, articles I wrote and extensions I added to the site
    Monday, December 1, 2008 12:30 PM