none
Microsoft DBA path RRS feed

Answers

• Hello everyone: 

I am considering to earn a certificate in database administrator.

I have some questions regards the certification and career outlook.  Please give me some suggestions. My background is in IT, I have some basic programming experience (PHP, HTML, CSS, JavaScript) and I want to . http://www.quickcert.com/ Horizon training: Microsoft Certification: MCITP: Windows Server 2008 Administrator - New Horizons Computer Learning Centers

3. Could you recommend some good certification resources (online or instructor lead programs)?

3a. Please share with me some good online knowledge bases for MS SQL server learning.

3b. Please give me some feedback on these 

For Career outlook

1.What is the outlook for MS SQL server DBA for a person like me doesn't have practical experience?

2. I saw somewhere online that Microsoft SQL Server 2008, Database Development will be retired in 7-2013, will the certification still valued by the employers?

2a. What other MS certificates will continues to serve the same purpose? 3. Does Oracle certificated DBA have a better chance to get employed in the current economy?

Jeff

My .02

1) There are entry level DBA jobs out there and the SQL Server installed base keeps expanding.  Don't expect to be running the shop on your first day.

2) Yes, there is still a huge installed base of SQL 2008  and most of the concepts are shared with SQL 2012.  Although I'm not sure that a certification with no practical experience is all that valuable, I guess it depends on the person doing the hiring.  I don't put a lot of stock in bootcamp style programs that are designed to get you to pass a test.

2a) If you are just starting out then I would start on the 2012 certification tract rather than the 2008 tract

3) No idea on teh Oracle job market, but I can tell you that I shut down a fair number of Oracle instances after they are migrated to SQL server.  There will always be Oracle jobs out there but I don't think that market is growing like the SQL Server market is.

Chuck Pedretti | Magenic – North Region | magenic.com

Wednesday, April 10, 2013 1:23 PM

All replies

• Bumping to top of question list

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer

Jeff Wharton
    MSysDev (C.Sturt), MDbDsgnMgt (C.Sturt), MCT, MCPD, MCSD, MCITP, MCDBA
    Blog: Mr. Wharty's Ramblings
    Twitter: @Mr_Wharty
    MC ID: Microsoft Transcript

Tuesday, February 5, 2013 10:22 PM
  • Bumping up one more time.

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer

MCSE:Server Infrastructure, MCSE:Desktop Infrastructure, MCSA Server 2012, Citrix CCIA & CCEE, Cisco CCNA, VMware VCP 3/4/5 Blog: http://www.citrix-guru.com and http://www.rds-support.eu Twitter: @dnyvandam

Tuesday, April 9, 2013 11:07 AM
  • Hello everyone: 

I am considering to earn a certificate in database administrator.

I have some questions regards the certification and career outlook.  Please give me some suggestions. My background is in IT, I have some basic programming experience (PHP, HTML, CSS, JavaScript) and I want to . http://www.quickcert.com/ Horizon training: Microsoft Certification: MCITP: Windows Server 2008 Administrator - New Horizons Computer Learning Centers

3. Could you recommend some good certification resources (online or instructor lead programs)?

3a. Please share with me some good online knowledge bases for MS SQL server learning.

3b. Please give me some feedback on these 

For Career outlook

1.What is the outlook for MS SQL server DBA for a person like me doesn't have practical experience?

2. I saw somewhere online that Microsoft SQL Server 2008, Database Development will be retired in 7-2013, will the certification still valued by the employers?

2a. What other MS certificates will continues to serve the same purpose? 3. Does Oracle certificated DBA have a better chance to get employed in the current economy?

Jeff

My .02

1) There are entry level DBA jobs out there and the SQL Server installed base keeps expanding.  Don't expect to be running the shop on your first day.

2) Yes, there is still a huge installed base of SQL 2008  and most of the concepts are shared with SQL 2012.  Although I'm not sure that a certification with no practical experience is all that valuable, I guess it depends on the person doing the hiring.  I don't put a lot of stock in bootcamp style programs that are designed to get you to pass a test.

2a) If you are just starting out then I would start on the 2012 certification tract rather than the 2008 tract

3) No idea on teh Oracle job market, but I can tell you that I shut down a fair number of Oracle instances after they are migrated to SQL server.  There will always be Oracle jobs out there but I don't think that market is growing like the SQL Server market is.

Chuck Pedretti | Magenic – North Region | magenic.com

Wednesday, April 10, 2013 1:23 PM