none
Worst forums ever. RRS feed

• General discussion

•  I don't have enough time to write a book on the hundreds of annoying aspects of this forum, but I can only suggest replacing these forums with your basic phbb board, because... my goodness this forum is a disaster.  The forum alert doesn't work, there's no easy way to quote someone, the code editing in the postbox is absolutely terrible (sometimes it works, other times it doesn't- and that's under IE7) the forum is slow, clunky and unintuitive.  Most of the time in Opera I can only see a few of the posts in a thread.  If I go to IE7, I can suddenly see more, even while not logged in!  Speaking of logging in, sometimes (depending on where I go) I suddenly get logged out... which is really helpful, as you can imagine.

I wish I had all the time in the world to make post after post about every bug I've run into on these forums, but suffice to say- they really need an overhaul.  Considering how good something like EW is at making good websites, the Expression forums make it look terrible.  I really appreciate the support you guys give, but I really don't like coming to these forums.
    Tuesday, April 29, 2008 5:06 AM

All replies

•  

Hi R10k, appreciate the feedback – sorry to hear you’re having a bad experience with the forums. There are a couple different issues here.
    Do we support Opera? We have traditionally done our testing for this forums platform on IE 6, IE 7 and Firefox. We’ll always work to fix bugs users report on any browser (there are some reported already on Opera that we're working on). In addition, we’re looking at adding Opera and Safari to our testing as well. If you have specific issues that haven’t already been reported on Opera in the bugs forum, please do.

Alerts don’t work. Looks like we have a current thread on this, can you add details on when you're not getting alerts?

r10k said:

I don't have enough time to write a book on the hundreds of annoying aspects of this forum, but I can only suggest replacing these forums with your basic phbb board, because... my goodness this forum is a disaster.  The forum alert doesn't work, there's no easy way to quote someone, the code editing in the postbox is absolutely terrible (sometimes it works, other times it doesn't- and that's under IE7) the forum is slow, clunky and unintuitive.  Most of the time in Opera I can only see a few of the posts in a thread.  If I go to IE7, I can suddenly see more, even while not logged in!  Speaking of logging in, sometimes (depending on where I go) I suddenly get logged out... which is really helpful, as you can imagine.

I wish I had all the time in the world to make post after post about every bug I've run into on these forums, but suffice to say- they really need an overhaul.  Considering how good something like EW is at making good websites, the Expression forums make it look terrible.  I really appreciate the support you guys give, but I really don't like coming to these forums.

Can you be more specific about what doesn't work or could work better with quoting (I quoted above) or the code editor? We had an issue with white space in the code editor that was recently fixed. I'm not aware of other issues.

Getting logged out. I haven't heard anyone else report this issue, but this sounds really bad. If you or anyone else reading this thread is seeing this issue as well, please start a new thread in the bugs forum, even if it's not consistent and you don't know what the repro is. I want to know if this is a one-off case, or if more than one person is seeing this.

Thanks,
    -Andrew

Forums Product Planner, Andrew.Brenner at Microsoft.com
    Thursday, May 1, 2008 2:35 PM