still "Only items in the default Outlook store can be promoted to CRM" error after applying Rollup RRS feed

• Question

• this is driving me nuts.

first of all, I can't yet use Rollup7 (because we've just gone live and haven't tested it yet).
    however, we're using Rollup5 which contains the hotfix to solve this second mailbox delegate issue

issue 953812 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/953812/EN-US/ who's fix has been incorporated in hotfixes since June (hence Rollup5 having it)

Even though I had an old version of the Outlook CRM client, Rollup5 wouldn't change the version numbers from 4.0.7333.3 (to match the Rollup5 server)until I uninstalled it, found an old version of the client and installed that, and then re-installed Rollup5. Now both Server and Outlook client have the same version numbers:

I've followed the instructions for issue 953812 (see link above) in creating the registry key DelegateMailboxEnabled.

and still I get the error "Only items in the default Outlook store can be promoted to CRM" etc... the only difference is that the dialog box has changed!

is there something I'm still missing?

many thanks
    b
    Thursday, October 29, 2009 12:36 AM

Answers

• Hi Donna, as it states in the KB971782, Update Rollup 7 for Microsoft Dynamics CRM for Outlook can't be uninstalled. The server UR7 bits can be uninstalled, but not the client bits. And since Microsoft has replaced the entire Microsoft Dynamics CRM for Outlook client download, there is no way to download and install the RTM client any more unless you have an old installer saved somewhere.

Neil
    • Marked as answer by Jim Glass Jr Friday, November 13, 2009 4:38 PM
    Wednesday, November 11, 2009 11:00 AM
  • Thank you for the clarification Neil, I appreciate it.  It looks like I will need to read through these updates more carefully in the future so I don't overlook changes like this.

I think the support ticket is the best procedure for this installation to ensure there are no environmental issues impeding expected performance or to identify any issues with UR 7.

Best Regards, Donna
    • Proposed as answer by Donna EdwardsMVP Wednesday, November 11, 2009 1:44 PM
    Wednesday, November 11, 2009 1:39 PM
  • For those of you experiencing synch errors post rollup 7, I just posted fix
    http://blog.customereffective.com/blog/2009/12/fix-for-synch-errors-after-client-update-rollup-7.html

There is a hotfix in the works.
    Monday, December 7, 2009 2:56 PM
  • The hotfix was rolled out by my IT Operations staff. I do not remember the number. It worked against RU7, but not RU8. MS told us it will be part of the RU9.

Tuesday, January 19, 2010 1:50 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Since Rollup 7 has some additional shared Outlook fixes, my best guess is that you should wait until you can install that Update and then see if you are still having an issue.  It could be that some additional issues were found after Rollup 5 and the fix for those issues are in Rollup 7.  I am not saying this is the case, but it is possible and you could spend time trying to get this working with Update 5 but not meet with success.
    Best Regards, Donna
    Thursday, October 29, 2009 11:44 AM
  • HI,

you have seen, that there is a new version of this kb article from September, 28th?
    Viele Grüße

Michael Sulz
    axcentro GmbH
    MVP für Microsoft Dynamics CRM
    Thursday, October 29, 2009 2:52 PM
  • just as an update, things have gotten worse.

out of a small representitive number of our development machines, the Outlook client *will* track emails from a non-default (second) mailbox when Rollup5 is applied ... for most machines. BUT... there are a couple where Rollup5 does nothing in this regard and the "Only items in the default Outlook store can be promoted to CRM" message remains.

HOWEVER ... when these working Rollup5 machines have Rollup7 applied to them (CRMv4.0-KB971782-i386-Client-ENU.exe), they break! That incidious "Only items in the default Outlook store can be promoted to CRM" message appears for them where it didn't before under Rollup5.

we're at a real loss to get this functionality going - it seems far too fragile, and therefore far too risky to use.

We are trying to match the functionality of existing systems the CRM will replace: being able to track emails from second (shared) inboxes on staff's Outlook installs. Queue's are all very well as a possible replacement, but they were designed for case management and other workflows. We are simply wanting to turn these enquiry emails into CRM enquiries against existing or new contacts, and for any replies to be seen to come from this shared email account (and also tracked).

we are a bit stuck.
    Thursday, November 5, 2009 4:01 AM
  • Try this on one of the machines that fit this criteria ......... "BUT... there are a couple where Rollup5 does nothing in this regard and the "Only items in the default Outlook store can be promoted to CRM" message remains.'

Uninstall Rollup 5 and Rollup 7 if they are present. 
    Uninstall the CRM Outlook Client and reboot the machine.

Obtain the latest CRM for Outlook Client download
    Obtain the latest Update Rollup that matches the Rollup on the Server (5 or 7)

Install the CRM for Outlook Client on one machine
    Install the Rollup that matches the server Rollup (at a minimum should be 5)

Reboot the machine and see if it works as expected.  If it is not working as expected, open a ticket with Microsoft Support.

Best Regards, Donna
    Thursday, November 5, 2009 1:27 PM
  • Hi there,

I am having the same problem, but with shared calendars.  I have a laptop which has never had the CRM for Outlook Client installed.  I have installed the latest CRM for Outlook Client which includes rollup 7 and I get the same error "Only items in the default Outlook store can be promoted to CRM".  I cannot get a single machine in the company to allow tracking of shared items in CRM. 

A company we are visiting next week to plan their CRM implementation needs the ability for a team leader to assign appointments to user's shared calendars that are tracked in CRM.  Without this working it is going to be difficult to see how we can satisfy this client's requirements.

Kind regards,

Ben
    Thursday, November 5, 2009 2:42 PM
  • Hi Ben,

I would create a support ticket for the issue.  It is my understanding that if the issue is related to defect correction, you will not be charged for the case.  One other option you can try is to uninstall Rollup 7 and install Rollup 5 to see if that works as expected. 
    Best Regards, Donna
    Thursday, November 5, 2009 8:32 PM
  • Hi Donna,

I cannot see anyway of uninstalling Rollup 7 only uninstalling the Dynamics CRM Outlook client in it's entirety.  Also I can only download the latest Dynamics CRM 4.0 Outlook client published on 10/22/2009 so I do not see how I can get rollup 5 installed as I'm presuming the latest client will already include all rollup 7 updates.  I've tried installing rollup 5, but the version number stays at "04.00.7333.2138".

Also I've noticed today that the revision number and published date for Rollup 7 have been updated to 11/5/2009 (last Thursday).  Does this mean that the Rollup 7 I downloaded last week is now out-of-date and is newer than the latest download for the entire Outlook Client?

I've already installed Rollup 7 to our servers early last week do I now need to download the "latest" rollup 7 and re-apply?

Kind regards,

Ben
    Monday, November 9, 2009 10:29 AM
  • Hi Ben,

To uninstall Rollup 7,  you should be able to see it on the user's machine when you go to the Control Panel and select the Option to Uninstall Programs.  You'll need to select to view Updates so you can see both programs and updates.

I only suggested the above as an option in the event you didn't want to open a support ticket.  However, I recommend you open a support ticket if Rollup 7 is not behaving as expected because Microsoft will be able to look at your environment and see if there are any issues that would prevent it from working as expected or see if there are issues with the Update that need to be resolved. 

I am not sure what if anything was revised in Update 7 so I am wouldn't recommend downloading and updating to the revised version because I don't know if it will address your issue. 

Best Regards, Donna
    Monday, November 9, 2009 2:11 PM
  • Hi Donna, as it states in the KB971782, Update Rollup 7 for Microsoft Dynamics CRM for Outlook can't be uninstalled. The server UR7 bits can be uninstalled, but not the client bits. And since Microsoft has replaced the entire Microsoft Dynamics CRM for Outlook client download, there is no way to download and install the RTM client any more unless you have an old installer saved somewhere.

Neil
    Wednesday, November 11, 2009 11:00 AM
  • Thank you for the clarification Neil, I appreciate it.  It looks like I will need to read through these updates more carefully in the future so I don't overlook changes like this.

I think the support ticket is the best procedure for this installation to ensure there are no environmental issues impeding expected performance or to identify any issues with UR 7.

Best Regards, Donna
    • Proposed as answer by Donna EdwardsMVP Wednesday, November 11, 2009 1:44 PM
    Wednesday, November 11, 2009 1:39 PM

• Same here,

I have uninstalled the Client and roll up rebooted reinstalled, added registry keys, and nothing, no success with regards to share a appointment on a shared calendar.

is there any more details on how to fix this ?
    Monday, November 16, 2009 5:29 PM
    Answerer
  • Open a ticket with Microsoft Support and let them know the update does not appear to be working as expected.
    Best Regards, Donna
    Monday, November 16, 2009 7:08 PM
  • I've opened up a support case with Microsoft and I'll post back here with any results. 

There's a couple of posts marked as answers now.  Can I just clarify what they are answers to?  They do not seem to actually address Barry's original post or the problems myself and others are facing.  Raising a support case doesn't seem to be an answer to me, just the start of trying to find a solution to the problem.

Monday, November 16, 2009 7:28 PM
  • In this scenario, the answer that we have is to open a ticket with Microsoft Support to determine if there is something in your environment that is causing the issue or to see if the Update is not working as expected. 
    Best Regards, Donna
    Monday, November 16, 2009 9:51 PM

• bjam76,

Any details regarding your microsoft Ticket ??

Regards
    Thursday, November 19, 2009 10:58 AM
    Answerer
  • BUMP (just trying to raise this thread into a bit of visibility again)

hi bjam76,

Any details regarding your microsoft Ticket ??

like nronri, I too am interested (since I started the thread).

anyone else:

anyone have any joy doing this?

thanx
    b
    Sunday, November 22, 2009 11:34 PM
  • Hi all,

I'm still currently working with Microsoft to find a solution.  As soon as I know something I'll post an update.

Kind regards,

Ben
    Monday, November 23, 2009 9:51 AM
  • Hi all

Got the same ugly error message since installed rollup 7.
    I could fix the sync problems with deactivating the "download public folders" in the settings of my mailbox.

Maybe that helps.

I can't set the regarding in shared calendars. Should this be possible with Rollup 7?

Thanks

Wednesday, November 25, 2009 4:19 PM
  • Hi all,

The support case is still ongoing.  The latest situation ... I have a PC that I have managed to get the "Track in CRM" button to actually appear in the ribbon toolbar when I open a shared calendar appointment (or create a new appointment in a shared calendar), but I cannot get another PC to even show that button even though it seems to have exactly the same registry, CRM and Outlook settings.  I do not know why this button is now appearing on this one PC, but the functionality still doesn't work properly anyway (see below).

The problem is that the "Track in CRM" gets lost after the user, who I created the appointment for, syncs with CRM, and I then sync my Outlook again.  Once I sync again the Track in CRM button is no longer enabled and the appointment is longer tracked in CRM, and then I get the “Only items in the default Microsoft Outlook store can be promoted to Microsoft Dynamics CRM.”  message in the synchronisation dialog.

I also get the sync error if I do the following (which is worse in a way as it's got nothing to do with shared calendars):
    - Create an appointment in my own calendar and invite another attendee and Track it in CRM.
    - Sync with CRM.
    - Change the appointment time.
    - Sync again and then get “Only items in the default Microsoft Outlook store can be promoted to Microsoft Dynamics CRM.”  message.

Swiss CRM Master, The set regarding should work and the functionality is working on one PC, but again gets lost after a while and then the sync error message appears.

I've been told by Microsoft the issue is now a "Hotfix Investigation Issue", but I am still working with them to find a solution.

Does anyone know the last rollup when this functionality actually worked (i.e. the tracking appointments in shared calendars)?  It wasn't knew in Rollup 7 as Barry stated at the start of the thread even though the Microsoft blog's seem to indicate it was.

As before if I have any news (hopefully good) I'll post back to this thread.

Kind regards,

Ben
    Wednesday, November 25, 2009 5:21 PM

• thanks for the update Ben,

swiss CRM Master, I've installed the rollup 7 on the server and on the Client PC's and it didn't work, what I've received was double work as some c360 add-ons didn't work properly after the update.

I'm really interested in getting an update from Ben, as I'm on the same situation as many other people.
    Friday, November 27, 2009 4:43 PM
    Answerer
  • Latest update is that the bug is with the Hotfix team and I should hear something early next week.
    Friday, November 27, 2009 4:55 PM
  • @bjam76

cool. thanks for going to this effort mate, it's appreciated.

keep fingers crossed, eh?

Saturday, November 28, 2009 10:58 PM
  • Hi all

@nrodri: We installed Rollup 7 too and I couldn't find the button in the outlook appointment form. so i guess it doesn't work.
    But this function is secondary for us. For us it is important that we don't have sync problems at our client installations...

Could anyone try my solution?

"I could fix the sync problems with deactivating the "download public folders" in the settings of my mailbox."

I hadn't any sync problems after deactivating this checkbox.

Thanks,
    Swiss CRM Master

Tuesday, December 1, 2009 7:16 AM
  • Swiss -

I was having the same issue with the sync's errors.  I turned off the the downloading and the problem seems to have been corrected.  It's only been an hour or so since I did it.  I'll let you know if it re-appears.

Thanks for the tip!

Todd
    Tuesday, December 1, 2009 7:37 PM
  • Actually, I had this issue too, and it was not fixed in rollup 5, but rollup 6 really did fix it for us.
    Wednesday, December 2, 2009 2:07 AM
  • Ok, Todd, thanks for your testing.
    I think with this option it wouldn't be possible to use the delegate function. But we don't use this, since it doesn't really work with Rollup 7.

For anyone who wants to try:

- Settings of the mailbox in outlook
    - Advanced
    - Then Tab "Advanced"
    - Area Exchange Cache Mode
    - Deactivate checkbox "Download public folders"

Regards,
    Swiss CRM Master
    Wednesday, December 2, 2009 11:07 AM
  • For those of you experiencing synch errors post rollup 7, I just posted fix
    http://blog.customereffective.com/blog/2009/12/fix-for-synch-errors-after-client-update-rollup-7.html

There is a hotfix in the works.
    Monday, December 7, 2009 2:56 PM
  • @Todd,

You don't want to permanently disable cached exchange mode--just temporarily disable it, make the registry changes, reboot, then re-enable it.  without exchange cached mode you won't have any local content, and if you ever can't connect to your network, you won't be able to see your calendar, inbox, etc.

The reason that disabling cached mode is part of the solution is bc cached mode caches not just your local account records but also those of any shared calendars.  Then when outlook synchs , it tries to update these shared appointments via the new delegate functionality.  If you don't have write access to these calendars, it won't be able to (and will create a synch error).

Disabling cached mode TEMPORARILY clears out the local cache, and then you can create the registry keys and reboot, which gives you a clean start.

then reinable cached mode and from that point CRM will not try to update shared calendar records.

Monday, December 7, 2009 3:03 PM
  • Hi Joel,

The workaround you posted works for me at clearing the sync issues, but I end up getting more sync issues once I start tracking appointments again!

Can you clarify if the hotfix/rollup 8 will fix the following:
    1) The "Track in CRM" button not appearing in Outllok on some PC's when creating appointments in shared calendars.  Does not appear no matter what registry, diagnostics or permissions I change?
    2) The sync issues after creating a shared calendar appointment and then tracking it in CRM.  This is for PC's where I can get the "Track in CRM" button to actually appear, one out of six in my office!
    3) The "Track in CRM" being lost if you perform the following steps:
    i) Create an appointment in my own calendar and invite another attendee and Track it in CRM.
    ii) Sync with CRM.
    iii) Change the location or appointment time.
    iv) Wait a couple of minutes and then sync again and then get two errors; “Only items in the default Microsoft Outlook store can be promoted to Microsoft Dynamics CRM.”, and "The Outlook item is already being tracked as an appointment in Microsoft Dynamics CRM".  The "Track in CRM" button is now no longer enabled and is not being tracked.

Also do you know when this hotfix or rollup is due to be released?

Thanks in advance,

Ben
    Monday, December 7, 2009 4:08 PM
  • Will the Rollup 8 solve this error?
    Friday, December 18, 2009 10:27 AM
  • Rollup 8 does not solve the problem.

We have successfully tested a hotfix that works with RU7 but not RU8.
    Sunday, December 27, 2009 8:57 PM
  • Hi Frode

Can you let me know what hotfix that you tested with RU7?

Thanks

Kire
    Life sucks
    Monday, January 18, 2010 11:08 PM
  • The hotfix was rolled out by my IT Operations staff. I do not remember the number. It worked against RU7, but not RU8. MS told us it will be part of the RU9.

Tuesday, January 19, 2010 1:50 PM
  • Well, just jumped on the CRM 4.0 bandwagon with high hopes; installed the server and then the outlook client yesterday.  Tried to track a message from my IMAP account in Outlook, and got

only items in the default microsoft outlook store can be promoted to microsoft dynamics crm

Ugh. 

Searched around, found this thread, did the DelegateMailboxEnabled reg "fix", which didn't help.

Went to Microsoft's site and found that Rollup 9 was released.  Downloaded the server and client updates and installed them...and still get

only items in the default microsoft outlook store can be promoted to microsoft dynamics crm

When I try to track a message from my IMAP account in Outlook.

Ugh.  Again.

Not sure there's a fix for this; just wanted to add my name to the list of those with the issue.

(BTW, what a dumb issue!!  Does MS really believe that tech professionals are going to have only *one* email account in Outlook??? I've got 5!!  And none of them are Exchange accounts.  C'mon, MS...)
    Monday, February 15, 2010 5:22 PM
  • Hi Frode (or anyone that might have stumbled across an answer to this issue)

I too am EXTREMELY interested in the hotfix your IT operations staff acquired. Was it obtained directly from Microsoft Dynamics? Do you by any chance know whether it was indeed included in the recent RU9.  I had a quick scan through RU9 release notes of problems having been addressed, but didn't note anything specifically addressing these shared appointment synhronization problems.

(Sorry for what is a long post, but am quite desperate for a solution to this which is driving me up numerous walls and perhaps by sharing the symptoms we are experiencing it might lead also to someone else spotting this who might possibly be able to provide a resolution or suggestion.)

For the record we are experiencing the issues as listed below (all similar to what is mentioned here by various parties) eversince RU7 (CRMv4.0-KB971782-i386-Client-ENU.exe with File Version 04.00.7333.2138) was applied, and all our users by the way use XP SP3 / IE8 / Office 2007 SP2 with every available Windows Update applied... This seemingly has nothing to do with client platforms / OS in use.

Also of interest, and what seemingly points (in my limited understanding of the mechanisms of it) to an Outlook cache / CRM for Outlook synchronisation conflict, is that this does NOT occur for our CRM users who connect and work via a Terminal Server session (and who also make use of shared calendars)! To the best of my knowledge Outlook caching is implemented differently for a Terminal Server user’s profile / session thus explaining perhaps why they do NOT experience these same issues...

Issues:

1. High amount of synchronisation errors (More obvious for users using appointments prolifically and mostly errors are either “Only items in the default Microsoft Outlook store can be promoted to Microsoft Dynamics CRM.” or "The Outlook item is already being tracked as an appointment in Microsoft Dynamics CRM").

http://community.dynamics.com/blogs/crmcustomereffective/archive/2009/12/06/fix-for-synch-errors-after-client-update-rollup-7.aspx
    2. Have applied work-around of disabling delegation on client-side, but like many others after the work-around we're also noticing the SyncNoRebuildIdMappingTable value getting set automatically back to 1 in the registry after a restart of user's machine and synchronization errors not going away, all leading eventually to Outlook OST corruption problems appearing! Leads me to question if the CRM delegation functionality truly got disabled or not!? Although having just read up on the official "Nuts and Bolts" whitepaper of January 2010 (Outlook Synchronization in Microsoft Dynamics CRM) in an attempt to better understand the changes in RU7, it is stated that IDMappingTable is one of only 2 new client-side tables introduced to Microsoft CRM for Outlook post RU7, so it would seem that this table is vital for general synchronization, and as such a value of 1 (True) for registry entry SyncNoRebuildIdMappingTable might then very well actually be required for general synchronization functionality and not necessarily have to do with ONLY delegation features.. E.g. Perhaps it suffices that it just gets set to 0 the once? (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=2d497348-0a10-40ce-8edb-b0ee85f1215e) This is just a guess however at this point!? (We did by the way apply the workaround correctly having cleared the local cache which would include the shared calendar cache by setting Outlook TEMPORARILY to not use Cached Exchange Mode)

3. Experiencing numerous amounts of duplication of appointments occurring when CRM synchronizes back to Outlook. This seems to occur more frequently when a user forcefully manually tracks (Uses "Set Regarding") an appointment within Outlook to a specific CRM record (Which they do simply because the original appointment in Outlook that would have been synchronized from CRM does not seem to be properly linked back any longer to the original CRM appointment - E.g. "View Regarding" is greyed out and is not linking up with the appointment in CRM). As a result I believe the new appointment is created at exactly the same time and date in regards to the same CRM client.

4. MOST frustrating thing for us is that even after uninstalling all CRM for Outlook, then applying IE8 (which brought its own issues with View Regarding and pop-ups not working initially etc), then reinstalling CRM for Outlook, then AGAIN disabling delegation, we are still experiencing problems with OST files for users that are the most prolific users of shared calendars and appointments (historic appointments and new) where the local OST files just keep on GROWING AND GROWING rapidly and within a day or two reaches in the order of 17GB and eventually grinds to a halt, Outlook stops closing down properly, and continually wants to be repaired at start-up. Whereupon the OST files need to be trashed and the Outlook profile recreated and resynchronised from Exchange from scratch. (Upon which CRM for Outlook needs to be redeployed, and rollup reinstalled). This is NOT occurring for users that do not make use of shared appointments (E.g. Neither share their own nor attempt to share another calendar). Oh, and the Exchange Server side sizes of these particular troublesome mailboxes are now less than 500MB! Was getting annoyed having to continually resynchronise their OST files from scratch thus forced users to reduce the size their core Exchange mailbox items by having them move older items from these folders to offline PST files meaning recovery time was reduced.

Obviously appointments are still not synchronising properly and essentially causing mayhem.

If anyone has any suggestions (or has any definite resolution perhaps) I'd be forever grateful if you can share it?

Could it have something to do with our server or router end? Doubt it though. We've disabled Smartmatching, we have a 64bit Windows 2008 Server with IIS7 for CRM Server, and another with SQL 2005 SP2, and use Exchange 2003 SP2 on Windows 2003 SP2. Nothing out of the ordinary!?

Can this be a SPN authentication problem? (Sure we'd have had bigger problems if it was, but just asking as I don't see all THAT many posts regarding this problem, although enough to suggest it has to be just a RU7 "bug" related to the change in the way synchronization now works post RU7)

Thanks,
    Keith

Sunday, February 21, 2010 8:50 PM
  • Wilddoct and Keith, I think a better place to log the issues / suggestions, where you may gain more exposure is the Microsoft Connect site.  This post has gotten really long and it is difficult to respond with solutions due to the multiple items / issues / suggestions for change in the posts. 

If you have a specific issue that you think we can help with, I recommend creating a new post since this post has multiple responses already marked as answers.  Additional responses to this post may not get the attention.
    Best Regards | Twitter: edwardsdna
    Monday, February 22, 2010 5:30 PM