none
where to report an unusually high number of wrong answers

Question

• Hi. It seems that an unusually high number of inaccurate answers are being posted on the sql server analysis services forum regarding the DAX language.  I personally use the forums to kick start my ability to learn on my own.  The amount of solicitation I request normally depends on the quality and availability of documentation and courses.  The quality of the product sometimes plays a role too.  The person posting inaccurate answers has MSFT CSG in his/her title.
    Wednesday, August 30, 2017 11:57 AM

All replies

• The best course would be to reply directly to the problem threads.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, August 30, 2017 12:16 PM
  • thx.  Here is what I wrote there...

I'm concerned about the number of wrong answers being posted on this subject in this forum.   And the lack of explanations as to why certain answers are being proposed.  To mitigate that a bit I'm going to ... so you can test your theories before posting them.  In my opinion this is a very legitimate question given what ALL the documentation says is supposed to work and it and the community deserve a legitimate/responsible answer.

Wednesday, August 30, 2017 12:41 PM
  • I don't see that helping or working. Better to address the thread subject directly, probably in separate replies i.e. 1.) the correct answer and 2.) what's problematic with existing answers.

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, August 30, 2017 12:46 PM
  • thx Dave.   I tried that and we ended up going full circle. 

Wednesday, August 30, 2017 1:37 PM
  • My experience is that other experts in community would be all over incorrect answers from moderators. Best course is to appeal to community. There is no forum for reporting wrong answers, you can report feedback here.

https://lab.msdn.microsoft.com/mailform/contactus.aspx?refurl=http%3a%2f%2fsocial.microsoft.com%2fForums%2fen-US%2freportabug%2fthreads

Wednesday, August 30, 2017 2:00 PM
  • Hi,

The community members help you in a free way, the answers provided by them may not be coorect answers, but they are trying their best .  You should thank them, not to complain them, as this is your own question, not them, it is your job to solve your question, you are the one who need the other community members's help.  Did you provided all the needed information to resolve your question?  As i know, For DAX and MDX, even though you are using the same code, you may get different answers for differnt data.

As It is your own question, did you pay any community members when they given the correct answers for your question?  I guess not. The answers is  provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

If you want correct answers, you should open a case to microsoft,  hopefully you will get an answer.

Wednesday, August 30, 2017 11:00 PM
  • yes, he asked for and got all the background info (and more) necessary to answer the question correctly.  From his title (MSFT CSG and MSDN Community Support) it sounds like MSFT has him monitoring that forum.  Maybe gratis maybe not.  We all pay one way or another.

We've all had to take some answerer's posts with a grain of salt knowing they tend to be hit or miss.  We come to know them by name.  We appreciate them because we know they are kind of like us, willing to offer what they already know.  They don't have MSFT in their title.

I'm thankful for your lecture though because I had to look again at his title.  I see in his signature a link for this kind of feedback whether it be positive or negative.

If someone doesn't speak up in these situations, the quality of a service like msdn forums which has always been top notch will diminish.

We already know that opening tickets with MSFT is an option.  And as we all know the responsible thing in that space is to make it a last resort.

Thursday, August 31, 2017 12:27 PM
  • I explained to msdn support that I would not be reporting this if I didn't think it was justified.  They offered sincere gratitude for my patronage and said they would assign a senior support engineer.   
    Friday, September 1, 2017 1:53 PM
  • Admins are probably going to be more geared towards forums application support. QOS is generally left to forums moderators and forums owners to work out. Sometimes the sticky's in a forum will reveal who the owners are and of course checking individual threads will reveal the moderators. There is no method to message someone directly. For moderators one idea is to mark the thread(s) abusive also explaining the problems detected with given answer or any other issue.

Friday, September 1, 2017 2:51 PM
  • thx Dave.  prior to contacting msdn support I marked the most egregious post as abuse.  The reason I gave was "off subject".  It was a tough decision but l decided that technically speaking that answer was off subject.   
    Friday, September 1, 2017 5:21 PM