none
Why did I receive email to mark as answer RRS feed

• Question

• I received the below email, but 

• I was NOT the question poster, merely a contributor late in the thread.
    • The thread cited already has a response marked as Answer
    • The reply from sa1157 could hardly be considered an answer to the original question
    What is going on?  Am I missing something or is there some issue with how answers are accepted or solicited?

A reply from sa1157 has been marked as a proposed answer in the forums thread you have subscribed to. If it answers your question, mark it as the answer!

Thread Title: Excel 2010 Dialog Boxes Hidden behind Application causing application freezing

Ron

Ron

Tuesday, December 6, 2016 12:23 AM

Answers

• This is how the alerts work. When you replied to the thread you were automatically subscribed to alerts on the thread. When someone proposed a reply by sa1157 13.5 hours ago as answer an alert was sent to all users subscribed to the thread. It doesn't make a difference that it already has a marked answer. Its just a canned response.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, December 6, 2016 1:16 AM
  • Only the mods and the asker can mark the answer. Yes, the message is just an alert to a proposed answer on thread. Yes, you can mark any posts as proposed answer. More FAQ listed here.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/7359.forums-help-faq.aspx

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

• Marked as answer by Ron Rosenfeld Tuesday, December 6, 2016 2:02 PM
    Tuesday, December 6, 2016 1:42 PM

All replies

• This is how the alerts work. When you replied to the thread you were automatically subscribed to alerts on the thread. When someone proposed a reply by sa1157 13.5 hours ago as answer an alert was sent to all users subscribed to the thread. It doesn't make a difference that it already has a marked answer. Its just a canned response.

Tuesday, December 6, 2016 1:16 AM
  • So is it the case that, so long as I participate in a thread, even if I have not asked a question, that I can mark any random response as an answer? 

Or is it just responses that have been proposed as an answer?

Can I propose a response as an answer also?  Or is that reserved for moderators?

Thanks.

Ron

Tuesday, December 6, 2016 1:11 PM
  • Only the mods and the asker can mark the answer. Yes, the message is just an alert to a proposed answer on thread. Yes, you can mark any posts as proposed answer. More FAQ listed here.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/7359.forums-help-faq.aspx

• Marked as answer by Ron Rosenfeld Tuesday, December 6, 2016 2:02 PM
    Tuesday, December 6, 2016 1:42 PM
  • This "alert" also asked me to mark the response as an answer, if it answered my question.  That, to me, makes it more than just an alert.  Had the last sentence been omitted ("If it answers your question, mark it as the answer!"), I would not even be here discussing this.  <sigh>

Thank you for the explanation.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
             Courage to change the things I can,
             And wisdom to know the difference.

Ron

Tuesday, December 6, 2016 1:55 PM
  • I agree that last sentence is wrong and needs to be addressed by the people who designed the forums and alerts.

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

My TechNet articles

Tuesday, December 6, 2016 2:11 PM
  • Agreed, below applies only to asker. I sent an email asking for a fix.

If it answers your question, mark it as the answer!

Tuesday, December 6, 2016 2:25 PM