Post install, no network connection with new Asus M4N78 Pro motherboard (AMD Quad CPU) with I Gig newtork adapter. No packets being exchanged with the Router. RRS feed

• Question

• I installed the Evaluation copy of Windows Home Server with SP1.  During install it reached out and grabbed SP 2 and it installed correctly.

Post Home Server install, I can not install the Connection software on the PCs as it doesn't see the server.  Checking the server's network settings, they are set to automatically obtain an IP and connect. Further checking reveals no packets being exchanged.  Also, I noticed the adapter driver dates back to 2005 with no new one automatically available.  I have a D-Link 812 N & gigabit switch and everything else works fine.

Please offer any knowledgeable advice on how to correct the connection problems.  Thank you for your interest and help.

JR Dees
    Sunday, September 6, 2009 6:26 AM

Answers

• Hi,
    please post the output of ipconfig /all, issued in a command prompt on server or client. I assume a misconfiguration of DNS provided by the router, which causes the clients to attempt name resolution for your home server at the DNS server of the ISP, causing connector to fail. Some people worked around this by adding a line for the server to the hosts file on the clients in C:\Windows\system32\drivers\etc. (The problem with this solution is, that it may cause failure at a later time, if the server gets a different IP address for some reason. Since the entry in hosts is static, it is easily forgotten.)
    Do you try to install from http://server:55000 or from somewhere else?
    Was the installation completed and you have already issued a console password?
    Are the clients and the server in the same IP subnet?

What is the error message?

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    • Marked as answer by JRDEEZ Monday, September 14, 2009 9:09 PM
    Sunday, September 6, 2009 11:40 AM
  • As we discussed the WHS evaution copy did not come with the drivers to suppor the NVIDA Asus board based NIC chipset.  Asus US Support new exactly which drivers (NVIDA XP drivers) would work and they did.  I was up in a few minutes.
    • Marked as answer by JRDEEZ Monday, September 14, 2009 9:12 PM
    Monday, September 14, 2009 9:12 PM

All replies

• Hi,
    please post the output of ipconfig /all, issued in a command prompt on server or client. I assume a misconfiguration of DNS provided by the router, which causes the clients to attempt name resolution for your home server at the DNS server of the ISP, causing connector to fail. Some people worked around this by adding a line for the server to the hosts file on the clients in C:\Windows\system32\drivers\etc. (The problem with this solution is, that it may cause failure at a later time, if the server gets a different IP address for some reason. Since the entry in hosts is static, it is easily forgotten.)
    Do you try to install from http://server:55000 or from somewhere else?
    Was the installation completed and you have already issued a console password?
    Are the clients and the server in the same IP subnet?

What is the error message?

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    • Marked as answer by JRDEEZ Monday, September 14, 2009 9:09 PM
    Sunday, September 6, 2009 11:40 AM
  • media plaer
    • Edited by e_muzica net Monday, September 7, 2009 10:11 AM wiston media plaer activa
    Monday, September 7, 2009 10:09 AM
  • As we discussed the WHS evaution copy did not come with the drivers to suppor the NVIDA Asus board based NIC chipset.  Asus US Support new exactly which drivers (NVIDA XP drivers) would work and they did.  I was up in a few minutes.
    • Marked as answer by JRDEEZ Monday, September 14, 2009 9:12 PM
    Monday, September 14, 2009 9:12 PM