CRM 4.0 Outlook Offline Client with SQL 2008 Express RRS feed

• Question

• I keep reading that the CRM 4 client is compatible with SQL 2008, but the only information I can seem to find when I search over and over is that to make it work I need to install a SQL 2008 instance named "CRM" and then just run the installer.

I've got the client installer on DVD and downloaded from the web.. But regradless of how I try to run it, the installer insists on trying to install SQL 2005. Of course SQL 2005 fails; the event log error message is as suspected:

Product: Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express Edition -- Error 28086. An instance with the same name is already installed on this computer. To proceed with SQL Server Setup, provide a unique instance name.

If anyone can point me to some specific instructions or offer some guidance before I go crazy, I’d really appreciate it!

DG
    Monday, July 20, 2009 1:01 AM

Answers

• Finally - Success! It all seems rather trivial now that I finally have it working. I just completed my first offline sync. Boy does that feel good, hahaha.

After I was able to get the regular client plugin to work, I thought it should be rather easy to get offline support with SQL 2008, I've read quite a few reports of it working.

It turns out that because I am using win 7 x64, the new web platform installer interface to acquire SQL 2008 express gave me the x64 version automatically. I realized that the 2005 version the client installer was trying to install was x32. Downloading the 32bit WOW64 version of SQL 2008 express advanced manually and then installing my CRM instance finally got me past the database issues. (You can find it here: http://blogs.msdn.com/sqlexpress/archive/2009/06/15/installing-sql-server-2008-guidance.aspx )

The next problem I ran into was during configuration. I received an error that the database file couldn't be in a network location. For my environment, domain policy redirects the profile folders to a network share. That just seemed like an odd error, and I realized I hadn't yet applied the update rollup, so I canceled and ran the client rollup 6. Viola - configuration went without a hitch, and I'm able to go offline.

So - to boil it down, the steps needed to get the CRM 4 offline client installed with SQL 2008:

1) Install 32bit SQL 2008 Express Advanced, with a "CRM" instance.
    2) Install the CRM client software.
    3) Perform the latest client update rollup (currently 6).
    4) Perform client configuration.
    5) Launch Outlook and enjoy.

I Hope this helps relieve someone else's stress. :)

DG
    • Marked as answer by Derek Gabriel Tuesday, September 15, 2009 9:56 AM
    Tuesday, September 15, 2009 9:56 AM

All replies

• The sql 2005 express client is embedded within the install files of CRM offline client.Update your install files when doing the crm install.

Is there a specific reason for wanting to use sql 2008 express?

Tiaan van Niekerk http://crmdelacreme.blogspot.com Skype:tiaan.van.niekerk1
    Monday, July 20, 2009 5:03 AM
  • Derek,

Remove all SQL 2005 and 2008 components from the machine, then install SQL 2008 express selecting the instance name CRM
    blogged it here
    http://blog.customereffective.com/blog/2009/04/installing-microsoft-crm-for-outlook-offline-with-sql-2008-express.html
    Monday, July 20, 2009 3:32 PM
  • I'm fully aware of your blog post and I appreicate the answer, but those are the methods I followed. No dice this time. I tried to make it clear in my original post, that I had taken the steps necessary to install a SQL 2008 Express instance named CRM prior to trying to install the CRM client - as noted by the event log error when I do run the CRM setup. I've even gone as far as following all the manual uninstallation documents and verified there are no leftover registry entries from any previous CRM installation attempts. 
    DG
    Friday, July 24, 2009 6:26 PM
  • hello there, i am facing the same issue, and i have installed SQL 2008 instance with the name CRM, but did not work. were you able to solve your issue? cheers oscard
    Wednesday, August 26, 2009 12:33 PM
  • No luck oscard - I've tried about everything I can think of, short of calling and opening a support case. My situation isn't too serious. It's just my computer, not a clients (thankfully). I also stopped when I realized that even if I fixed the sql 2008 issue with the Outlook client, the outlook client isn't compatible yet with Outlook 2010. Because my company is a partner and we're participating in the technical beta, our office is now using 2010.

I hope with 7 RTM and 2010 well along the beta path that the Dynamics group will be building a new client installer. It's my understanding that the Outlook client will work with 2010 if it's already installed prior to update. So it seems to me the incompatability issues with SQL 2008 and Office 2010 are just blockers in the installer process matching "required versions" and not serious items that require a new client version. So let's cross our fingers for an updated client installer!

If I do come accross any solutions, I'll definately update my posts here.

Mahalo.

DG
    Wednesday, August 26, 2009 7:56 PM
  • thanks a lot derek,

i am looking for a solution for me :)
    we are a SP and i feel strange that i do not have anyone to get back to!!! :)

anyways, if i reach to solve this issue i will let u know

cheers
    oscard
    Tuesday, September 1, 2009 11:22 AM
  • I'm happy and excited to report that I've been able to get the CRM 4 plug-in to install into Outlook 2010 x32 on win 7 x64.

The blocker for me was the installer telling me the version of Outlook was not supported, but I have seen the plugin work fine when it was already installed to Outlook 2007 and that upgrade to 2010. I found that I was able to override the block with a registry entry.

I needed to create the following key: HKEY Current User\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MSCRMClient\ and then add a DWord (32 bit) of IgnoreChecks with the decimal value of 1.

When I ran the installer, it still gave me the fail on version, but the "next" button wasn't grayed out. I continued, and it installed successfully. Then I ran configuration wizard, which was successful, launched Outlook and it works like a charm.

Because I was having so much prior trouble with getting the installer to recognize the SQL install, I had skipped the offline client, and went just for the plugin. I'll be seeing if I can find a proper workaround for getting the installer to recognize my SQL 2008 express install for the offline client.

DG
    Tuesday, September 15, 2009 3:54 AM
  • Finally - Success! It all seems rather trivial now that I finally have it working. I just completed my first offline sync. Boy does that feel good, hahaha.

After I was able to get the regular client plugin to work, I thought it should be rather easy to get offline support with SQL 2008, I've read quite a few reports of it working.

It turns out that because I am using win 7 x64, the new web platform installer interface to acquire SQL 2008 express gave me the x64 version automatically. I realized that the 2005 version the client installer was trying to install was x32. Downloading the 32bit WOW64 version of SQL 2008 express advanced manually and then installing my CRM instance finally got me past the database issues. (You can find it here: http://blogs.msdn.com/sqlexpress/archive/2009/06/15/installing-sql-server-2008-guidance.aspx )

The next problem I ran into was during configuration. I received an error that the database file couldn't be in a network location. For my environment, domain policy redirects the profile folders to a network share. That just seemed like an odd error, and I realized I hadn't yet applied the update rollup, so I canceled and ran the client rollup 6. Viola - configuration went without a hitch, and I'm able to go offline.

So - to boil it down, the steps needed to get the CRM 4 offline client installed with SQL 2008:

1) Install 32bit SQL 2008 Express Advanced, with a "CRM" instance.
    2) Install the CRM client software.
    3) Perform the latest client update rollup (currently 6).
    4) Perform client configuration.
    5) Launch Outlook and enjoy.

I Hope this helps relieve someone else's stress. :)

DG
    • Marked as answer by Derek Gabriel Tuesday, September 15, 2009 9:56 AM
    Tuesday, September 15, 2009 9:56 AM
  • I seem to be facing a similar problem let me try what you did and see if it works. Thanks for the input, Derek!! :)

Wednesday, May 25, 2011 5:48 AM