none
The type of a thread should not be "question" by default

General discussion

• Many user don't change the type of their thread to discussion, even if they're not asking a question. I think we can avoid such problem by having no preselected thead type by default. So, users would need to make a choice and would not keep the default option.

What do you think of it ?
    Fremy - Developer in VB.NET, C# and JScript ... - Feel free to try my extension
    Tuesday, August 25, 2009 10:19 AM

All replies

• Agreed. I have wanted to start a discussion myself and forgotten to change the posting type.

Why not just make 2 options in the header bar - 'Ask a question' and 'Start a discussion'?

Roger Spencelayh, Computing Services, Malmesbury, UK
    Tuesday, August 25, 2009 10:26 AM
  • I am completely against this.

The forums are supposed to be about Technical Q+A. That assumes the first post is a question and the follow-up posts are answers.

The sort of posts that would justify the "Discussion" type would be posts that do not ask questions and ought not to be sent to the forums at all. Instead they should be posted to someone's blog site.

In the SharePoint forums I change all questions posted as Discussion Type to Question Type and all statements without questions that ought to go to Blog Sites I delete.

For me the Discussion Type has no benefit at all (as discussions can break out over the best way to solve questions too) and instead of making them the default they should in my opinion be removed entirely from the options available to normal users and left only as a Moderator option as they might - very occasionally - need to make information posts.
    WSS FAQ sites: http://wssv2faq.mindsharp.com and http://wssv3faq.mindsharp.com
    Total list of WSS 3.0 / MOSS 2007 Books (including foreign language) http://wssv3faq.mindsharp.com/Lists/v3%20WSS%20FAQ/V%20Books.aspx
    • Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Wednesday, August 26, 2009 4:59 AM Writing error amended - 4th para "Forums" -> "Blog Sites".
    Tuesday, August 25, 2009 2:33 PM
  • The forums are supposed to be about Technical Q+A. That assumes the first post is a question and the follow-up posts are answers.
    Sorry to strongly disagree. You're making a general assertion from a particular case, here. And what about forums where we can post Bugs or Suggestions ? A bug or a suggestion should *not* be a question. That should clearly be a discussion.

Sometimes, an user could ask other users what they think about something. It's not a question, because you don't seek about a specific response, you're just wanting one or more meanings about something. If you use a question type, you'll either need to select a response to your discussion, which is not really possible, or let the question whithout any response, which distrurb Answerers that find non-answered questions in the forum.

Maybe the forum you're working on is typically a Q/A forum, but many forums also are a way to discuss a program, or a place used to make announcements. This is particulary the case of the Microsoft Research forums.
    Tuesday, August 25, 2009 2:47 PM
  • I gotta agree with Mike here.  The vast majority of the forums here are not discussion forums, they're Q&A Forums. 

The average user doesn't change the type of thread when they're posting.  The average answerer is out to get his/her post marked as answer.  If the default thread type is discussion, there'll be a whole slew of "discussion questions" out there that people looking to raise their post/answer ratio won't touch, so the amount of activity is reduced, and the forum looks dead. 

Posting a question, even if it borders on discussion is an incentive for people to answer.  Everyone likes a cookie.
    Coding Light - Illuminated Ideas and Algorithms in Software
    Coding Light WikiTwitterLinkedInForumsBrowser
    Tuesday, August 25, 2009 2:52 PM
  • I gotta agree with Mike here. The vast majority of the forums here are not discussion forums, they're Q&A Forums. The average user doesn't change the type of thread when they're posting. The average answerer is out to get his/her post marked as answer. 
    Yes, there's nothing to change here.

If the default thread type is discussion, there'll be a whole slew of "discussion questions" out there that people looking to raise their post/answer ratio won't touch, so the amount of activity is reduced, and the forum looks dead. 
    I don't say post should be a "discussion" by default. I've said "It should have *NO* value set by default". Questions will still be questions. Users who're asking a question will select the question type, not the discusssion type. The only thing that would change is that 'true discussion' would became discussion, and no more questions. That would raise the precentage anwsered question in the forums (at least forums where discussions are possible) since dicussions usually end up with no response, since no 'particular' response is needed.

And if the way the points are comptabilised makes it unavantageous to respond to a dicussion, it's a sign that the way the points are comptabilised should be changed. << Un soldat ne fait pas la guerre pour deux sous, ou pour une médaille. Il faut parler à son âme, le galvaniser. >> (Napoleon)
    Tuesday, August 25, 2009 3:03 PM

• The average answerer is out to get his/her post marked as answer.

I think that statement deserves a little thoughtful reflection.

Tuesday, August 25, 2009 7:46 PM

Nothing comes out of shaming those who enjoy competition and recognition in the midst of their pursuit of excellence.  Most major inventions and innovations come not from those seeking purely altruistic goals, but often from those seeking rewards and/or recognition.

It's when the desire for rewards and recognition overshadows the desire for integrity and honesty that problems occur.

Ambition is only ugly when it kills integrity.
    Coding Light - Illuminated Ideas and Algorithms in Software
    Coding Light WikiTwitterLinkedInForumsBrowser
    Tuesday, August 25, 2009 8:10 PM

I did a better job with the blockquote than you.

See my point?

Tuesday, August 25, 2009 8:18 PM
  • See my point?
    No.

You lose.

Tuesday, August 25, 2009 8:30 PM

• Whoever tagged the red-boxes failed to understand the self-evolving example.  So I will explain.

Competitiveness in these forums can be counter-productive, devoid of factual information or instructive essence,  and simply lead to rudeness and hard feelings.

Exactly as demonstrated above.

The red-boxes illustrate a related effect:  sabotage and sniping.

Tuesday, August 25, 2009 9:35 PM
  • I red-boxed the message where you said "You lose. " I felt the post was unhelpful, and after reading the thread twice, i found your tone to be slightly abusive. Had there been any actual content to your post, i would not have done anything.

• Edited by Brian Tkatch Wednesday, August 26, 2009 1:10 PM typo
    Wednesday, August 26, 2009 1:10 PM

• I red-boxed the message where you said "You lose. " I felt the post was unhelpful, and after reading the thread twice, i found your tone to be slightly abusive. Had there been any actual content to your post, i would not have done anything.

You are right Brian.  It was a snide, valuelessly competitive gesture.  Not at all in the spirit of helpful cooperation.

Wednesday, August 26, 2009 6:06 PM
  • %D0%B5

At some point the name game is just tiring.
    Wednesday, August 26, 2009 6:13 PM

• At some point the name game is just tiring.

You win.  I can hardly compete with your obsequious sniping.

Wednesday, August 26, 2009 6:42 PM
  • Pray tell, how is that sniping?
    Wednesday, August 26, 2009 6:57 PM

• Pray tell, how is that sniping?

You win.  I can hardly compete with your obsequious trolling.

There Brian.  Is that clearer?

Wednesday, August 26, 2009 7:04 PM
  • Could you please stop your pollution on this thread? We're not here to support a battle between you. Sorry about that. If you've things to discuss, please don't do it here. Please note that every new message that it's not in link with the discussion will be marqued as abusive by me. We're not here to discuss personnal problems.

Thanks a lot for your comprehension,
    François
    Wednesday, August 26, 2009 7:09 PM

• Ok.  Sorry.

btw - I was the first to +1 vote your OP.

Wednesday, August 26, 2009 7:11 PM