none
(rant) One thing you take for granted in a test RRS feed

• General discussion

• .... is knowing what question you are on, and how many questions are left. Not the case with 070-467 (at least): the exam is split into several sections, each with its own numbering, and the "overall" question number is not displayed. Or did I miss it? Dear Microsoft, please correct me if I am wrong. 
    Monday, November 17, 2014 1:06 PM

All replies

• No you are correct.  This exam has a number of case studies/general question sections and numbering relates to the current and total questions for the case study/general question section you're completing, not the entire exam.

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer

Jeff Wharton
    MSysDev (C.Sturt), MDbDsgnMgt (C.Sturt), MCT, MCSA, MCSE: BI
    Blog: Mr. Wharty's Ramblings
    Twitter: @Mr_Wharty
    MC ID: Microsoft Transcript

Monday, November 17, 2014 10:55 PM
  • Thank you, Jeff.

So, fellow 070-467 test takers, keeping count is on the test. You also want to develop your speed-reading skills and short-term memory, as the test will involve scenarios described over a dozen tabs, and show you a complex, long MDX query in a tiny screen frame, so that you will have to scroll both vertically and horizontally to see the code.  Brought to you by usability experts at Microsoft Learning.  Your feedback is important to us; if you have any concerns or suggestions ... keep them to yourself. MCPHelp@microsoft.com is just for item challenges; when we say that we will provide a response in 4-6 weeks, we mean that you need to chase us during week 6. 

• Edited by Demyan1 Tuesday, November 18, 2014 9:32 AM
    Tuesday, November 18, 2014 9:26 AM
  • I've done this exam and didn't experience the scrolling issues you mentioned.  Maybe the testing centre you used (which is not a Microsoft entity) didn't have the screen resolution of your test PC set correctly.  You should also raise your concerns with them directly to ensure they rectify the issue.

With regards to "short term memory", you are free to return to the case study (tabs) at any stage so there is no need to memorize all content in one hit.  You also have plenty of time to read the case study and answer the questions so no need to be a speed reader either.  An approach I always take is to read the questions first and then read the case study.  That way I know what I'm looking for and concentrate on the important and relevant content.

MCPHelp@Microsoft.com is not only used for "item challenges".  Ii can be used for feedback, complaints, etc.

All exams go through a Alpha and Beta testing phase where non-Microsoft staff sit the exams and comment on content, layout, usability etc.  Do they get it right all the time? No.  That's why you're given an opportunity to mark questions and submit feedback/challenges at the end of the exam.  If you'd like to become a Beta tester, please refer to the following http://support.microsoft.com/kb/833520

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer

Jeff Wharton

Tuesday, November 18, 2014 11:51 AM
  • 1. Challenges cannot be submitted during the comments section. Personally, I spend the time to benefit myself, not Microsoft, by reviewing the questions.

2. According to Exam Policies https://www.microsoft.com/learning/en-gb/certification-exam-policies.aspx, "If you have a concern about the technical accuracy of a particular item, please submit an Item Challenge form... To offer other types of feedback, please contact your Microsoft Regional Service Centre".

I have, in fact, sent a letter with my concerns to the European service center, and will come back to this thread to report what response I received. I have already shared my experience with the team behind MCPHelp@Microsoft.com. They fail to acknowledge item challenges, routinely break the advertised response deadline, and do not comment on the actual challenges.

Allow me to express skepticism about Microsoft Learning's QA. I submitted multiple item challenges after each 070-467 attempt - seven (!) after the most recent one. Coming back to my original rant, it is difficult to consider absence of proper question numbering a "feature", rather than a bug.

• Edited by Demyan1 Tuesday, November 18, 2014 1:11 PM
    Tuesday, November 18, 2014 1:09 PM
  • Coming back to my original rant, it is difficult to consider absence of proper question numbering a "feature", rather than a bug.

Unfortunately that's the way exams with Case Studies work and that's the way they've been designed.

Knowing the total number of questions will not make the exam any easier or help you pass it.  Besides, timings are broken down into sections therefore you know exactly how much time you have to complete your current set of questions.

Not sure what benefit you think you'd get by knowing how many questions are left for the whole exam.  Maybe if you could share them then I can attempt to address them.

With regards to becoming a Beta tester, you do benefit yourself as the exams are free and if you pass, you get that exam on your transcript and don't need to sit it again.

It appears that not all Microsoft Regional Service Centre's provide the same level of support for their region which is obviously an issue.

Jeff Wharton

Tuesday, November 18, 2014 10:24 PM
  • 1. Timings are not broken down into sections. 
    2. I am sorry, with "Not sure what benefit you think you'd get by knowing how many questions are left for the whole exam" we are slipping into Baghdad Bob territory. 

• Edited by Demyan1 Wednesday, November 19, 2014 10:12 AM
    Wednesday, November 19, 2014 10:11 AM
  • 1. Timings are not broken down into sections. 

There is an overall exam time and each section does have individual time limits.

Jeff Wharton

Wednesday, November 19, 2014 11:20 PM
  • Jeff, you were wrong about two things so far - item challenges are *not* submitted as part of the comments section, and MCPHelp@Microsoft.com is *not* meant to be used for anything other than said item challenges, at least according to official guidance - so consider the possibility that you are wrong about this one too. I have taken the test *three times* now - two attempts were paid for by Microsoft; I would have been considerably more irate if I had to pay £100 for each attempt, and keep coming across the alleged quality issues - and I have no recollection of section-specific countdowns. 

Not showing the question number is a dumb error by the team behind the test. I dearly hope that either my letter to the European regional service center or this thread will be seen by a Microsoft Learning manager. As is, 070-467 does not leave aspiring MCSE: BIs with a positive last impression.

• Edited by Demyan1 Thursday, November 20, 2014 12:43 PM
    Thursday, November 20, 2014 12:37 PM
  • Earlier I wrote

I have, in fact, sent a letter with my concerns to the European service center, and will come back to this thread to report what response I received.

On Dec 5, I received an e-mail from European regional service center. (MCP Ref. S201411190736292340 / exam challenge (KMM22051252V98173L0KM)). The letter asked me to submit an item challenge re: perceived issues. I responded, (a) referring to the item challenges that I had submitted, (b) pointing out that my complaints - such as the one in this thread - did not always deal with specific test questions, and so could not be raised as item challenges. On Dec 9, I followed up, asking if I should expect further correspondence. On Dec 11, I completed a Microsoft Customer Satisfaction Survey, giving the "service experience" grade of 1 out 9, and pretty much gave up on getting any human response from Microsoft. 

• Edited by Demyan1 Thursday, December 11, 2014 10:33 AM
    Thursday, December 11, 2014 10:32 AM
  • ... It gets better! Second e-mail from Microsoft Regional Service Center comes, asking me ... to address item challenges to the appropriate team. 

Let me summarize the conversation thus far.

Me: There are problems with 070-467 test. I raised a few item challenges, but there are concerns that are broader than a suspect test question. Here they are ...

Microsoft: Please raise an item challenge.

Me: Sorry, this was not about item challenges... ?

Microsoft: <silence>

Me: Hello?

Microsoft: <silence>

Microsoft:  You should not be raising item challenges to us!

• Edited by Demyan1 Thursday, December 11, 2014 12:27 PM
    Thursday, December 11, 2014 12:27 PM
  • December 23 - another e-mail from the European service center.

Dear <>,

Thank you for your e-mail regarding exam challenge.

Please be informed that since Microsoft exams are being conducted by
    third party companies the form of those exams are solely responsibility
    of those companies.

Microsoft can  intervene only when there are obvious mistakes in
    questions or the exercises  in the test are plainly wrong.

With regards to your statement if you have doubts or suggestions on how
    the exam should look like please kindly contact the testing center where
    you have taken the exam directly.

Thank you for your cooperation.

So here you go, fellow test takers. If you have feedback about a Microsoft exam - other than an "item challenge" - stuff it, Microsoft does not want it, and that's official.

PS. My item challenges, submitted on Nov 17, are still with MCPHelp@microsoft.com. Unless they write today, it's going  to be yet another time they break their promise of a 4-6 weeks turnaround. 

• Edited by Demyan1 Tuesday, December 23, 2014 12:32 PM
    Tuesday, December 23, 2014 12:02 PM
  • I had a number of concerns about a Microsoft certification exam (070-467) - not issues with specific test questions (I had plenty of those too, and placed several item challenges... the response deadline is nigh, and looks set to be broken, yet again), but things like missing question numbering, super-long questions, big chunks of code displayed in a tiny window, necessitating furious scrolling - and reported them to Microsoft, by posting snail-mail letters to US and European regional service centers. The US did not respond, Europe did - and what they said, after a lot of frustrating back-and-forth that you might expect when talking to a cable or utility company, was

Dear <>,

Thank you for your e-mail regarding exam challenge.   [I don't know what an "exam challenge" is - Demyan1]

Please be informed that since Microsoft exams are being conducted by third party companies the form of those exams are solely responsibility of those companies.

Microsoft can  intervene only when there are obvious mistakes in questions or the exercises  in the test are plainly wrong.

With regards to your statement if you have doubts or suggestions on how the exam should look like please kindly contact the testing center where you have taken the exam directly.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Kind Regards, 

<>
    Microsoft Regional Service Center
    E-Mail: emeamcp@msdirectservices.com
    Tel.: 0800 9170758 or 0800 0960137
    Fax: ++49 5 24 11 79 60 77

Microsoft, I really want to get this straight. Unless "there are obvious mistakes in questions or the exercises  in the test are plainly wrong", you don't want to know about problems with a *Microsoft* certification test, and are not going to accept any responsibility?

• Edited by Demyan1 Tuesday, December 23, 2014 1:00 PM
    • Changed type Demyan1 Tuesday, December 23, 2014 1:02 PM
    • Merged by Mr. WhartyModerator Monday, February 9, 2015 8:21 AM Same topic
    Tuesday, December 23, 2014 12:54 PM
  • Hi Demyan,

The title suggests you don't want any feedback but i am going to give it a shot. Sorry to hear that you did not get the response you were hoping for. Many people have questions about exams and exam situations. Often you are redirected to the RSC or the test center. My guess would be that the testcenter will never give you a straight answer but what you can and should do is fill in the survey which you get at the end of the exam. I always do so. In that survey you can answer survey questions about the testing center. Describe the hardware that is being used in your testcenter. Fill in all questions and be honest about it. That's the feedback Microsoft can respond to. They will respond to the testcenter and not to the examtaker though.

One of the people at microsoft who loves to hear feedback about exams is Liberty Munson. You can find her on born to learn ( https://borntolearn.mslearn.net/b ) the /b is for blogs so you can find her. Ask her any quetions you might have. She takes every opinion very seriously.

As for the exams.. i know what you ar talking about. The long questions with codeblocks in them, it can wear you out :-) However don't give up!

Maurice

Thursday, December 25, 2014 11:44 PM
  • Hi Maurice,

We may have two cases of miscommunication here: apart from me having no objections at all to replies such as yours - the title is meant to summarize Microsoft's response to *my* feedback - the e-mail I attach *is* from a Microsoft RSC. (The European one). So this is official, and this is final: "if you are not placing an item challenge, don't bother us".

... By the way, what happens if you do place an item challenge? Microsoft promises a response in 4-6 weeks. I have placed item challenges, I would guess, 5 times - meaning after 5 test attempts. I think that I got a 6-weeks-or-shorter response only once. Right now, I am waiting for resolution of item challenges I placed on November 17. In one case, RSC just "forgot" my item challenges: when I came calling after week 6, they just apologized and asked me to re-submit.

(... and do they act on those item challenges? I first took 070-467 in August, and last took it in November. November's test featured questions I complained about in August. Of course, one can always respond "Yeah, but did your complaint have any merit?" - and I cannot even explain what the complaint was, for fear of disclosing exam content).

There are helpful people in the big MSFT organization - and they have been in touch - but the impression one gets from Microsoft's customer-service staff dealing with MCP program is negative.

• Edited by Demyan1 Friday, December 26, 2014 9:39 AM
    Friday, December 26, 2014 9:35 AM
  • Actually, let me go ahead and just include the letter I sent to Microsoft. (The European version; the US never responded).

Microsoft Regional Education Service Centre

Postfach 4000

33414 Verl

Germany

November 16, 2014

Re:  “Designing Business Intelligence Solutions with Microsoft SQL Server” (070-467) exam

Dear Sir or Madam,

I am currently pursuing MCSE: Business Intelligence certification. Having passed four levels of the certification program, I stumbled on the fifth and last one, exam 070-467, taking and failing the test three times. Although a high degree of frustration could be expected from a triple-fail test taker, I believe that there are real problems with this specific exam. Allow me to share with you a few elements of my experience with 070-467.

1. My scores over the three attempts were 576, 576 and 610 - falling well below the passing score of 700 and my scores on the preceding exams. In my mind, this suggests three questions. First, one wonders whether the published exam description is adequate, if apparently fairly conscientious and experienced candidates - who, after all, have passed four exams before attempting 070-467 - fail with low scores. Second, one questions the test-scoring method (specifically, conversion of a raw score into a scaled score), if candidate’s preparation yields either a tiny score improvement, or no improvement at all. Third, one has concerns about the test questions, if a candidate fails to significantly improve his score even with the benefit of knowing the questions encountered over a previous attempt.

1. Continuing with the last point above, I have repeatedly had issues with test questions, and raised multiple item challenges after each exam attempt. In all cases but one, I was granted a free exam retake - although, in honesty, I don’t know if this was because my complaint had merit, or because MCP Customer Service “felt bad” about a missed response deadline. (In one case, resolution of an item challenge took 8 weeks). In the case where my item challenge was denied, I received no explanation.

1. Among the problematic test questions, I distinguish those which ask the candidate to select the best option among a set of choices, and feature two equally acceptable options. For example, there is a test question which asks one to choose between <REMOVED> . After considerable Internet research, I cannot select either one as a “best practice”. (I also hesitate to ask the question online, as this could be interpreted as an exam-policy violation). Note that such questions are likely to have more “wrong” answers, and be over-weighed in the total score. 

1. Some of the test questions are organized around specific scenarios. Have the test authors noticed just how long the scenario descriptions have become? On my last test attempt, I recall seeing a scenario described over, I would guess, a dozen tabs. (Furthermore, (a) two of these tabs seemed to contradict each other with regard to a specific requirement, (b) one question referred to a business requirement that I failed to locate in the text). I urge the exam team to avoid making the test about candidate’s speed-reading skills and short-term memory.

1. Point (4) complains about long questions, but sometimes answers are long too. My latest exam featured a question where one had to select one of several MDX queries. Each query choice included 7-10 long lines that did not fit in the small frame, so that one had to scroll both vertically and horizontally to see the text. As in (4), is this a suitable challenge?

1. A taken-for-granted part of test experience is knowing how many questions have been answered, and how many remain. Strangely, in 070-467, one has no way to tell the number of the current question! I have resorted to keeping count on my memo pad, but on the latest attempt, a counting mistake cost me six questions I had no time for.

In my opinion, 070-467 materials and presentation are in need of review and change. With 070-467 being the last stop of the MCSE: BI track, it is important to produce a positive last impression on the people with high personal investment in Microsoft certification. 

Sincerely,

• Edited by Demyan1 Friday, December 26, 2014 9:54 AM
    Friday, December 26, 2014 9:54 AM
  • Last Monday,  on January 12th, my exam attempt was derailed by a technical issue: after clicking on an onscreen link, I ended up in a screen that, as far as I could tell, did not let me go back to answering questions. (My only choice was to exit the section, forfeiting the remaining questions).

I raised my hand to call the test proctor - nobody came. I stood up and waved at the camera - nobody came. For the next few minutes I would be just standing there, waving at the screen - then test time ran out.

I left the testing room, and found the test proctor not at his station, in a different room. I informed him of what happened and  asked to formally report the incident to Pearson VUE. He was reluctant, saying that I had not, in fact, called him, so I requested to speak with a supervisor. One arrived, and eventually told me that the incident would be reported to Pearson VUE.

On returning to the office,  I went to Pearson VUE's web site to see if the site provided any directions for cases like mine. As far as I can tell, it did not. The site did have "Chat to customer service" feature. I made use of it, and was advised to e-mail Customer Service. I did, filling out an online form, which told me to expect response in 3-4 business days. (The guy on the chat asked me if I had an "incident number" - maybe it's something that test-center people were supposed to give me, but did not). 

I then sent an e-mail to Microsoft (mcphelp@microsoft.com),  asking if they had any directions, and whether the failed attempt would count towards the number-of-attempts total, part of Exam Policies. I received a response next day, telling me that the failed attempt would, in fact, count.

A week has passed. I have had no response from Pearson VUE. I have also had no help from Microsoft. Who do I blame for the technical problem that derailed my test? There's no point asking, as neither entity is going to take responsibility and make amends.

PS.   On January 12th, I also made use of an "unofficial" channel, reporting the problem I experienced to a Microsoft employee who, I understand, is linked to test-interface development.  (See my other threads: that's the person who batted away my question about why the 70-467 text has no question numbers). That person then forwarded my e-mail to a different person at Microsoft, CC'ing me. Then that person never followed up.  

• Edited by Demyan1 Monday, January 19, 2015 2:17 PM
    • Changed type Demyan1 Monday, January 19, 2015 2:18 PM
    • Merged by Mr. WhartyModerator Monday, February 2, 2015 11:32 PM Threads deal with same content so merging to make easier for keeping track of issues
    Monday, January 19, 2015 2:02 PM
  • Hi Demyan,

Well you have a lot of issues going on during the last couple of sessions :-) Sorry to hear you got bummed at the exam by a machine. Next time be accurate for yourself. Write everything down pc number you sat down at, time of crash, if applicable question number when it happened and most important of all.... never exit the task. I had an interuption myself during my exam and did nothing. Went to the reception and demanded that i could continue my exam. The exam center is responsible for the hardware. In case of a freeze they will act on it and they can confirm your situation. I would write down the name of the exam center and all the persons i spoke to.

Anyway check born to learn and find patrick. he's the MCP program manager and maybe he'll have some additional steps you can take.

http://borntolearn.mslearn.net/b/weblog/archive/2014/12/11/new-mcp-mct-program-manager-patrick-thomas

hope the link works...

Maurice

Monday, January 19, 2015 11:15 PM
  • Hi Maurice, 

Thanks a lot for the link! I will definitely try this.

On other points - I probably would not go as far as to record the PC number etc., - after all, everything is on tape - and the problem was not a crashing PC, which would be Pearson VUE's fault, but a "no-escape" screen, i.e. a UI bug, which I would pin on Microsoft. But should I be surprised that I have had no follow-up on this - perhaps just to tell me that they were checking this with Pearson VUE - after my query re: missing question numbers had gone nowhere?

Let's see what this Patrick guy says/does. 

• Edited by Demyan1 Tuesday, January 20, 2015 9:46 AM
    Tuesday, January 20, 2015 9:46 AM
  • Chasing Pearson VUE...

• Edited by Demyan1 Tuesday, January 20, 2015 11:00 AM
    Tuesday, January 20, 2015 11:00 AM
  • This is really exhausting. I'd like to move on, but it just keeps getting worse. I call up Pearson VUE, and they tell me that no incident report has been filed by the test center. This is insane. Did the test-center employees (hello, Synergy Networxx of London) go ahead and destroy the CCTV tape too?
    • Edited by Demyan1 Wednesday, January 21, 2015 12:11 PM
    Wednesday, January 21, 2015 12:11 PM
  • ... Just to follow up re: Patrick the Manager. As you can see here

https://borntolearn.mslearn.net/b/weblog/archive/2014/12/11/new-mcp-mct-program-manager-patrick-thomas

Silence.

• Edited by Demyan1 Saturday, January 24, 2015 11:32 AM
    Saturday, January 24, 2015 11:32 AM
  • As I have told here,

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/74b04cb9-779e-4711-9985-d7bf8e893def/microsoft-learning-and-pearson-vue-please-get-your-act-together?forum=CertGeneral

when my Microsoft certification test was aborted by what looked like a software bug - with the problem compounded by the test proctor sleeping on the job and not available to help - I e-mailed mcphelp@microsoft.com to ask if the aborted attempt would count towards the total. (This is important because a long-term freeze kicks in after fifth failure, and this was my attempt 4).

"Tough luck", responded mcphelp@microsoft.com. The only break they could offer was to waive the two-week freeze before attempt 5 - but I would have to request it. So I did. That was on Jan 14; the two weeks since my attempt 4 would be up on Jan 26.

It's Saturday, Jan 24. Do the math.

• Edited by Demyan1 Saturday, January 24, 2015 11:46 AM
    • Merged by Mr. WhartyModerator Saturday, January 24, 2015 11:12 PM Same topic
    Saturday, January 24, 2015 11:45 AM
  • Hi Dimitri,

I was hoping Patrick would make a first impression here. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for now. Reading the posts i do see that you are not the only one who had som issues with this exams. I know doesn't mean anything but does give some reassuring feeling that you are not the only one out there. What bothers me is the fact that the other story did not resolve into an satisfying result either. Gets me worried!

Maurice

Saturday, January 24, 2015 10:51 PM
  • Can anybody point me to the manager in charge of Microsoft Learning, or suggest to which division of Microsoft ML belongs?

Thank you.

Wednesday, January 28, 2015 9:56 AM
  • Hi Dimitri,

Actually you know the person already :-) Unfortunately he is not responding as quickly as you would like to..

Did you post this question also on BTL? (borntolearn)

Maurice

Wednesday, January 28, 2015 10:27 PM
  • Hi Maurice,

If you mean Patrick Thomas, MCP Program Manager, then I doubt that, two months into that job, he has been promoted to the head of Microsoft Learning in general. Where does your info come from?

I also doubt that his silence - here, for example

https://borntolearn.mslearn.net/b/weblog/archive/2014/12/11/new-mcp-mct-program-manager-patrick-thomas

is temporary. Do you want to bet on a response showing up in the next month? ;) So it's not a matter of not responding as quickly as I would like, but of not responding at all - which, in my opinion. should be escalated (politely and factually) up the management chain.  

(Speaking of "not quickly as I would like". That petition to waive the two-week-wait before retake 5 I submitted on Jan 14? Still no response. Maybe Pearson VUE have been in touch to apologize for an aborted test and crooked employees, and offer a retake voucher? Nope. Is that something that "MCP Program Manager" should be interested in? Yup).

I did not ask the question on the Born To Learn blog, but I did ask it on Microsoft Learning's LinkedIn group page. One day later, the post has not been cleared. As the group is run by a PR person, I don't expect that to change ;)  

Microsoft Learning: you work, we don't need to.

• Edited by Demyan1 Thursday, January 29, 2015 9:13 AM
    Thursday, January 29, 2015 9:05 AM
  • Hi,

How far up the ladder would you aim for? Of course there ar people above Patrick but let me ask you a honest question. Do you think that 'someone' would really dive into your escalation? I think they should, don't get me wrong, but i doubt it. Anyway in knew a name a while back but since there have been a lot of changes going on in the workforce at MS i would not be able to specify a specific name for the general manager. For that reason i hoped that Patrick would answer and he would provide you with another name and assistance.

Regards,

Maurice

Thursday, January 29, 2015 10:36 PM
  • I don't really have any insider leads, so I think I will pick a couple of names from this list

http://news.microsoft.com/microsoft-senior-leaders

Yeah, I know...

• Edited by Demyan1 Thursday, January 29, 2015 10:54 PM
    Thursday, January 29, 2015 10:53 PM
  • Credit where credit is due: Pearson VUE responded on Jan 29 (i.e. 8 days after I called them), with an apology and a retake voucher.

Nothing from Microsoft.

• Edited by Demyan1 Friday, January 30, 2015 8:37 AM
    Thursday, January 29, 2015 10:58 PM
  • I work with Patrick on the MCT and MCP Program. We are working on many things for the MCT and MCP program and we may not always be able to give a response as quickly as you'd like. If you are having trouble or issues, please contact us at MCTPM [at] Microsoft [dot] com is an email account that I monitor very closely. We encourage communication via this email channel because it allows us to address everything closely and loop in the appropriate teams to solve the problem.

I read your posts on Pat's Program Manager video regarding the issues you are facing, please email me at MCTPM [at] Microsoft [dot] com and we can work with you to determine the next course of action.

Thank you for being part of our community.

On behalf of Patrick Thomas,

Saphy

Friday, January 30, 2015 5:30 PM
  • Hi Saphy,

Is it a coincidence that your boss decided to respond – via you – after I indicated that I want to escalate? J

... But to respond to your request – I have written a lot of stuff already, this should be plenty to get Mr. Thomas started. I am going to e-mail to you now so that you have my address.

Thank you.

• Edited by Demyan1 Friday, January 30, 2015 5:50 PM
    Friday, January 30, 2015 5:49 PM
  • There you go :-) just keep triggering them... As you can see the BTL will get you there eventually. Keep us posted how you are doing.

Maurice

btw check this thread as answered so it can be flagged and no one has to redirect you to other persons anymore!
    • Edited by Maurice Ausum Friday, January 30, 2015 11:24 PM addition
    Friday, January 30, 2015 11:22 PM
  • It's really none of my business Demyan1 but is the test taken on line or is there a Pearson VUE facility that you have to go to in order to take this test?

Maybe the issue is specific to a facility although it certainly sounds, from reading other threads you posted, that the test itself is rather vague as if it's being written by people that read and are not actually capable in the areas the test covers. As it seems from what I read that the test is kind of convoluted for no apparent reason.

Maybe the issue is with a specific Pearson VUE facility. Perhaps you can find reviews on that facility.

La vida loca

Saturday, January 31, 2015 12:35 AM
  • The question is still un-answered, actually. It is nice that MCP Program Manager materialized - by proxy - after ten days of silence, but I am looking for actions, not easy-to-make, no-obligation reassuring noises. 
    • Edited by Demyan1 Saturday, January 31, 2015 1:51 PM
    Saturday, January 31, 2015 1:37 PM
  • Hi Demyan1,

That is absolutely not the case. We both know the high-ups and we were all working an internal item that consumed a majority of our work time. As I stated on several threads, if you need to reach us and we have not responded as quickly as you would like, you can email me MCTPM [at] Microsoft [dot] com and I will work with you to find a solution. We also receive hundreds of emails a day so it takes time for us to read the emails and we appreciate follow up emails too.

As with any troubleshooting, it takes time to find the root cause and solution.

Also, I just received your email and all it does is link to this thread. I have sent you a respond requesting more information so as to troubleshoot in the most effective way possible.

Saphy

Monday, February 2, 2015 8:32 PM
  • What exactly is "not the case"? That Mr. Thomas took 10 days to respond - by proxy - or that I don't know who heads up Microsoft Learning? Well, he did, and I don't. 

Please do point me to ML's big boss, because I am not enthused by our communication so far. After the sh*load of detail I have provided in my posts - including my candidate ID (and can't you look it up from my e-mail anyway?), and a proper snail-mail letter I wrote to a Microsoft regional center - you are telling me, in your e-mail, "You mentioned suffering from several issues. Please explain what issues you faced"? Really? How about putting in a just a tiny bit of effort yourself?

Ok, let's take the "I request the waiver of the two-week wait, and it goes nowhere" issue - by far the most trivial of the ones on offer. On Jan 14, I sent an e-mail to MCPHelp@microsoft.com, saying

Hi Kristine, 

Yes, I would like to request removal of the waiting period. 

Thank you.

My candidate ID is MS 0429483108. I'll even give you the case reference - KMM31730060V94758L0KM.

Let me wait and see how you crack this case.

• Edited by Demyan1 Monday, February 2, 2015 10:03 PM
    Monday, February 2, 2015 9:43 PM
  • Aha - the request for a waiver of the two-week waiting period between attempts granted ... 3 weeks later. (And three days after I provided the customer-service case number to the mighty MCP Program Manager).

Hello,

This is a follow up e-mail regarding your request to remove the waiting period to take an exam.

We appreciate your patience throughout the entire process.

We received a response from the Microsoft Security team about your request, please see the reply below:

" Please let [My name, misspelled] know that we have approved this request to retake Exam  70-467 and will notify Pearson VUE.

The candidate needs to call Pearson VUE to schedule the exam appointment with an IT Program Coordinator".

-Microsoft Learning Security Team

If there is anything else we can do for you, please let us know. Thank you for choosing Microsoft.

Kristine
    MCP Customer Service Representative
    Our hours are- Monday through Friday
    6:30am to 5:30pm Pacific Time

<sarcasm> Well done, Microsoft! </sarcasm>

• Edited by Demyan1 Thursday, February 5, 2015 9:13 AM
    Thursday, February 5, 2015 9:13 AM
  • ... Let's pursue this.

Hi Kristine,

My previous exam attempt was on January 12, so my request to waive the two-week waiting period, submitted on January 14, would have to be granted before January 26 to have any meaning. It is February 5. 

Can you please comment on why the resolution took so long? Were you aware of the timing when you wrote to me yesterday?

Thank you.
    • Edited by Demyan1 Thursday, February 5, 2015 9:15 AM
    Thursday, February 5, 2015 9:15 AM
  • ... mcphelp@microsoft.com has not come back, but there is an update on the communication with Saphy.  Having received no follow-up after three days, I wrote to mctpm@microsoft.com to request an update and ask about the planned next steps. The response offered no details or commitments:

We take all incidents seriously and are currently investigating the matter. I will provide a cohesive feedback via this email once we have completed investigating all the concerns you raised.

I informed Saphy that I was not satisfied with the "no-commitments, no-ETAs approach", and that I would try to escalate without waiting - for god knows how long - for their "cohesive" response. (If that sounds abrupt, recall the preceding communication - which yielded exactly zero).  

Escalate I did - to the executive-vice-president-of-Microsoft level - and I will update this thread if I get any response.
    • Edited by Demyan1 Friday, February 6, 2015 10:09 AM
    Friday, February 6, 2015 10:08 AM
  • More on my communication with Microsoft Learning here:

https://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/97a2a97d-b5ee-48fc-a204-4455ed66c02c/who-is-in-charge-of-microsoft-learning?forum=CertGeneral

• Edited by Demyan1 Friday, February 6, 2015 10:12 AM
    Friday, February 6, 2015 10:12 AM
  • More on my communication with Microsoft Learning here:

https://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/97a2a97d-b5ee-48fc-a204-4455ed66c02c/who-is-in-charge-of-microsoft-learning?forum=CertGeneral

• Edited by Demyan1 Friday, February 6, 2015 10:13 AM
    Friday, February 6, 2015 10:13 AM
  • Hello <>

Thank you for writing back to us about the Exam Retake Request.

I appreciate you time and apologize for the inconvenience caused to you.

Please be advised that the expected turn around time for escalation process is normally 3 - 5 business days.

However, for certain cases specially for any exam related issues it may take longer for our Support team to review the request.

Your request to remove the removal period to re-take the exam has been reviewed by the Microsoft Security team, which is the highest Support for any exam related cases.

We sincerely apologized for the delay of providing an update from them.

If there is anything else we can do for you, please let us know. Thank you for choosing Microsoft.

<>

• Edited by Demyan1 Friday, February 6, 2015 3:19 PM
    Friday, February 6, 2015 3:19 PM