Custom field to be used within several entities RRS feed

• Question

• I want to create a field for Company Number.  I want to have it created within the Account Entity but shown on Opportunity Entities as well.  How is that done?
    Thursday, December 5, 2013 3:29 PM

All replies

• If you just want company number of account to be displayed in the views of opportunity then you can do so by adding account's field in opportunity views. You can add fields from related entities. However, if you want that field to be displayed on the opportunity form then you have to create a custom field (or use existing field) of similar type and use mappings (relationship) to get the data filled from account.

HTH

If my response helps you in finding your answer then please click 'Mark as Answer' and 'Vote as Helpful'

• Proposed as answer by Mamatha Swamy Thursday, December 5, 2013 3:46 PM
    Thursday, December 5, 2013 3:46 PM
  • Mamatha,

I've created a custom filed "Company Number" it is within my Account Entity.  I tried to create a relationship, 1:N, to the Opportunity Entity and put the Company Number in the Opportunity Form which worked.  The problem I have is, it is blank, it doesn't display the Company Number I entered within the Account Form.

My goal is to control the Company Number from the Account Form and have it auto populate on the opportunity when the potential customer is chosen.

Thanks,

• Proposed as answer by Anilkumar401 Thursday, December 5, 2013 4:53 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Anilkumar401 Thursday, December 5, 2013 4:54 PM
    Thursday, December 5, 2013 4:00 PM
  • You add the field on account entity and opportunity entity and dont create the relationship between both entities

If you are sure the company number dont change , then create a automap for opportunity to populate the filed from account

If the company number changes then you have to handle it plugin to update the opportunities when ever company number updates

You can also handle using Javascript on opporunity using fireonchange of customer filed which gets the latest data of account, you should also handle the save event as if the field value changes, Save prompt appears

kumar

Thursday, December 5, 2013 4:56 PM
  • Kumar,

I am using CRM Online 2013 and I see how to create relationships but I don't see how to automap to populate the opportunity field with data form the account field..  In the relationships I see a mapping function but I can't find it anywhere else.  I don't code in Java so I was looking for a way to do it using what is available within CRM.

Thanks,

Thursday, December 5, 2013 6:06 PM
  • Couple of things here

1. Using a relationship mapping the field values will be populated when you create the opportunity from account not directly. Also, there will be a OOBrelationship between account and opportunity that can be used for additional mappings.

2. Generally Javascript is used to populated fields from related entity in cases described by you in the earlier post.

If you are not familiar with javascript and prefer to use configuration instead then you can do so using a real-time workflow. Using real-time workflows can hit performance so it is recommended to use script for these kind of requirements.

Have created a quick sample to show how its done. Would recommend that you test it thoroughly and add any conditions that you need.

1. Open the Solution and create a new process for opportunity entity.

2. Create a real time workflow to work on create and field change (account)

3. Update the opportunity to set the company number (in the sample I have set the description field)

If my response helps you in finding your answer then please click 'Mark as Answer' and 'Vote as Helpful'

Thursday, December 5, 2013 7:01 PM
  • If you are using CRM 2013, add Company Number to the Quick Form on the Account and then embed the Quick Form in the Opportunity (if it isn't already).  That will show the data on your Opportunity while keeping it on the Account.

The postings on this site are solely my own and do not represent or constitute Hitachi Solutions' positions, views, strategies or opinions.

Thursday, December 5, 2013 8:22 PM
  • It depends how you are creating the new Opportunity. If you open an Opportunity, then select the Account from the lookup field - it won't map. I don't know why; it's described here: http://www.mibuso.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=54201&view=previous. 

The best way to achieve this is to just simply use a workflow.

Friday, December 6, 2013 10:34 AM
  • If you are using CRM 2013, add Company Number to the Quick Form on the Account and then embed the Quick Form in the Opportunity (if it isn't already).  That will show the data on your Opportunity while keeping it on the Account.

The postings on this site are solely my own and do not represent or constitute Hitachi Solutions' positions, views, strategies or opinions.

this appears to be the way to go.  I decided to use a field that existed Account Number.  I created a Quick form for it in Account and then embedded that form in the Opportunity.  When I populate the Account Number field it doesn't show up in the Opportunity.  The Account Number field is blank on the opportunity.
    Wednesday, December 11, 2013 4:43 PM