MSF vs. SQL Server Replication RRS feed

• Question

• I'm looking for a white paper discussing the trade-offs of using MSF vs. SQL Server Replication.

I am building a solution using VSTO - a Word 2007 template with databound widgets on a winform action pane. The customer has a requirement for the data changes to be made in a locally and synchronized on demand with the remote data store.

My notion on the architecture to solve this is to run SQL Server on all clients and use SQL Server Replication with merge replication, where all clients are subscribers to the remote database publisher. But I was poking around today and found MSF, something I had never heard of, and looks like solves the same problem as SQL Server Replication.

So - I need help understanding why was MSF built when SQL Server Replication exists - why did SQL Server team introduct SQL Server change tracking, etc.?

Should I be using MSF for my solution or SQL Server Replication?
    Saturday, October 10, 2009 6:11 PM

Answers

• yeah, that is the one I meant to share -- sorry for the miss. yes, this paper stays high and gives users a high level review of the sync techonogies. more details can be found in sync FX BOL and sql server BOL ( about merge replication ). if you have questions in details and also at the individule features for sync service and replciation, you are welcome to post it in this forum and we will be glad to discuss them provide suggestions.

thanks

Yunwen

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Monday, October 12, 2009 9:27 PM

All replies

• Hi Michael,

both Merge Replication and Sync Services can be used for sync-ing offline data to the central backend Server. they just target to different scearios and users can choose to best fit their business logic and needs. The below whitepaper can give you a high level introduction for using Sync Service and Merge replication. Hope this helps.

thanks
    Yunwen

Sunday, October 11, 2009 4:15 PM
  • Hi Yunwen, the white paper link is missing.

If the white paper discussed the different scenarios targeted by Sync Services vs. SQL Server merge replication, in order to inform a decision-maker as how busienss logic and needs are served differently by the two technologies, and why one might choose one or the other, then I look forward to reading it.

Thanks for your attention on this.

Monday, October 12, 2009 1:36 PM
  • I found this paper: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/sync/cc470041.aspx.

It is helpful, and confirms the MSF solution is more flexible, at the price of more coding required and without administrative tools provided in SQL Server to facilitate things like merge conflicts. It is extremely high-level - ideally there is a more in-depth architecutural paper facilitating this decision.
    Monday, October 12, 2009 8:34 PM
  • yeah, that is the one I meant to share -- sorry for the miss. yes, this paper stays high and gives users a high level review of the sync techonogies. more details can be found in sync FX BOL and sql server BOL ( about merge replication ). if you have questions in details and also at the individule features for sync service and replciation, you are welcome to post it in this forum and we will be glad to discuss them provide suggestions.

thanks

Yunwen

Monday, October 12, 2009 9:27 PM
  • marked this as answer - this means a detailed white paper or best practices comparison does not (yet) exist.

I appreciate ability to follow up with specific questions in the course of researching the best practice I will recommend to my customer between these two solutions. I intend to follow up as such. (The above white paper was helpful to set high-level expectations to inform the research.)
    Tuesday, October 13, 2009 5:06 PM