Unable to delete Deployment Administrator RRS feed

• Question

• Some contractors that were working on our CRM 2011 installation have left and I am attempting to remove their accounts as Deployment Administrators.  When I try to remove an account, I get an MMC error:

This snap-in performed a non-valid operation and has been unloaded.  To continue working with this snap-in, restart MMC or try loading the snap-in again.

Exception Type: System.Runtime.Serialization.SerializationException

Exception Message: Type is not resolved for member 'Microsoft.CrmArgumentException

Any idea what might be causing this?

Monday, October 8, 2012 9:11 PM

Answers

• I have found the problem and resolved it.  The user accounts in AD had been disabled (which doesn't really make any difference) and they had been renamed, which was the problem.  I renamed them back to their original names and was then able to delete them.  I guess Deployment Manager does some kind of check against AD, not just when you add an object, but also when you delete an object (which fits with doylej's issue with being unable to delete the name from Deployment Manager if the user is no longer in AD). 
    • Marked as answer by JWGage Thursday, October 11, 2012 2:28 PM
    Thursday, October 11, 2012 2:27 PM

All replies

• Are you able to perform other actions in Deployment Manager such as adding another deployment administrator?  I wonder if the problem is with the contractor accounts (are they still in AD?) or with your account?
    Wednesday, October 10, 2012 10:01 PM
  • I am also having the same issue. 

In my case the user that i am trying to remove from deployment administrators group have already been deleted from AD.

I have no issues adding and removing other users to the deployment administrators group. 

Thursday, October 11, 2012 12:09 PM
  • I'm not sure what the supported solution is to removing users that have been deleted from AD.

If you are prepared to delve into the SQL tables, then look at systemuser in the MSCRM_CONFIG database. I believe that deployment administrators are listed in this table and show a defaultorganizationid of 00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000. But please be careful when editing this table!

It seems as if you have also have to remove the relevant row from SystemUserRoles in MSCRM_CONFIG.

Thursday, October 11, 2012 1:05 PM
  • I have found the problem and resolved it.  The user accounts in AD had been disabled (which doesn't really make any difference) and they had been renamed, which was the problem.  I renamed them back to their original names and was then able to delete them.  I guess Deployment Manager does some kind of check against AD, not just when you add an object, but also when you delete an object (which fits with doylej's issue with being unable to delete the name from Deployment Manager if the user is no longer in AD). 
    • Marked as answer by JWGage Thursday, October 11, 2012 2:28 PM
    Thursday, October 11, 2012 2:27 PM
  • Well done you!

Thursday, October 11, 2012 2:28 PM