Not many pages indexed RRS feed

• Question

• I've had my site on for some time but I'm not getting much traffic from live.com searches. I have submitted my sitemap some time ago and I have quite a few backlinks. My site has hundreds of pages but only a around 30 have been indexed by live.com.

My blog has over a hundred unique posts and the other part of my site has over 1,000. It's all unique and useful information. I get a good bit of traffic from other search engines and other relevant sites. According to the Webmstaer Center I have over 500 backlinks, many of which have 5 star scores.

Is there something I can do to improve this?

I didn't write the blog software for my site and there isn't a sitemap feature, so only the url to my blog appears in the site map, but I have seen particular posts indexed. I'm planning on building the sitemap functionality in the software at some point but other search engines don't have a problem finding them.
    Sunday, November 16, 2008 8:54 PM

Answers

• Hi Tom,

My apologies. There was a configuration error on our side that has since been fixed. Please send the information to that email address and I will review it ASAP. 

Thanks,

Brett  

Monday, January 5, 2009 6:13 PM

All replies

• Not all bots are created the same. Go to XML Sitemaps and enter your home page. Upload that to your roob directory. Then do it again for your homepage for your blog. Add that to your blog home directory. Then go submit both sitemaps to the search engines. Dynamic links sometimes give bots and sitemap generators problems.

Emo

Affordable SEO Solutions
    Sunday, November 16, 2008 10:48 PM
  • My sitemap is working fine and I have added it months ago. I even added the Sitemap directive to my robots.txt

There are about 1,000 url's in my sitemap, even without the URL's to my individual blog posts. Yet still only about 30 indexed sites.

I did notice this month that the msnbot has been a bit more active on my site. Has visited a few hundred times this month which was much more than in the past, but still FAR less than other search bots.
    Sunday, November 16, 2008 11:14 PM
  •  Tom-NJ wrote:
    My sitemap is working fine and I have added it months ago. I even added the Sitemap directive to my robots.txt

There are about 1,000 url's in my sitemap, even without the URL's to my individual blog posts. Yet still only about 30 indexed sites.

I did notice this month that the msnbot has been a bit more active on my site. Has visited a few hundred times this month which was much more than in the past, but still FAR less than other search bots.

Tom,
    1,000 pages are too many to submit by one sitemap. Try keeping your sitemap to under 250 pages. Include your 1st - 3rd level pages in the site map. Make sure your meta tags on each important page has the robots tag telling it to index and follow.
    Set up your sitemap page sp the top level pages are first, the second level pages are second, the third level pages are third, and after that it shouldnt matter. While it isn't published, it is believed each search engine ignores entries after a certain amount.

Emo

Affordable SEO solutions
    Sunday, November 16, 2008 11:24 PM
  • My sitemap is fine. It's ordered correctly and assigned priorities.

There are pages in my blog that have been crawled, even though they don't explicitly appear in my site map.  Some of the pages that have the most and best quality links don't appear in search results. The two other search engines have no problems indexing sites.

One of my client's sites has only about 100 pages, no sitemap, lower pagerank, lower score, fewer back links and msnbot visits it twice as much as it visits my site which has more content and is updated more regularly. Even Ask.com's bot visits my site more than msnbot and I've never seen that before.

There is some ajax on the page but still plenty of static content as well as alternatives for users that prefer a more traditional style.
    Monday, November 17, 2008 1:00 AM
  • Hi Tom,

I may have missed it, but I didn't see your domain name. Could you post it again for me along with a few of your keywords and I will look into it for you.

Many thanks,

Brett

Monday, November 24, 2008 5:32 PM
  • Brett,

Thank you for your reply. Is there any way that I can send you the domain name without posting it publicly?

Or if as a moderator you can see the email address associated with this forum account, that would be it.

I also noticed that number of pages indexed went down by one today. Less than 50 pages indexed with over 1200 backlinks.

I thought it would go up because I noticed the msnbot hitting my site a little more this month. Not much but a little.

It sucks, what little traffic I do get from live.com seems to like the site and the visitors from there on average have a very high time spent on site.

Wednesday, November 26, 2008 2:43 PM
  • I just thought of something. I don't have conditional get enabled.

Would it help if I did? My site is dynamically generated. If conditional get support will help, can I set it up to return modified for all requests until I put the logic in to handle it more appropriately? It would take some time to implement it the right way.
    Wednesday, November 26, 2008 4:41 PM
  • Hi,

Please send it to me at lswmc@microsoft.com with this same subject line.

Re: conditional get: That might help, but let me check on my side first.

Thanks,

Brett

Wednesday, November 26, 2008 8:42 PM
  • Brett,

Tried to send an email three times throught the day. First one I used "Re: Not many pages indexed" as the subject as that's what I thought you meant. Then I tried "Not many pages indexed" and then the email address.  All three got bounced. First one was sent around 4:15 Eastern.
    Wednesday, November 26, 2008 10:49 PM
  • Hi Tom,

My apologies. There was a configuration error on our side that has since been fixed. Please send the information to that email address and I will review it ASAP. 

Thanks,

Brett  

Monday, January 5, 2009 6:13 PM