How to manually inspect the DAT files? Recovery gone wrong. RRS feed

• Question

• So my boot disk on my WHS died, on the 24th of sept, I returned home on the 29th, replaced and re imaged from the USB back up of my WHS. Everything looked good, I then decided to restore a client PC that was giving me some issues. Tried BMR, and during the process, I ended up wiping both my boot and secondary drive which was WinXP with lots of personal data like pictures/music ect. (Primary disk was win7 and had 2 raid 0 ssd's)

Anyways, fast forward though hours of trouble restoring, and I have been unable to restore the "system reserve disk" due to an error 0xc0000025. I believe the backup could be corrupt some how, as the boot drive D partition of the boot drive was part of the pool where the WHS backup's were stored. 

I only see two backup's now for that machine since I restored instead of the 30-40 that should have been there. I want to know if there is any way I can mount the DAT files and extract the files on the WHS to a network share.

I tried re installing windows 7 and reconnecting that machine to the connector, but when I access the dashboard and the recovery options in windows it gets errors opening the backup and crashes. I want to know if there is a way that I can manually mount the dat files to recover what I can from my backups?

Please help! I've lost all my data other than what is contained in the backup files on the server! There is over 1 TB of data in dat files. 

Saturday, October 5, 2013 12:35 AM

Answers

• ... I want to know if there is a way that I can manually mount the dat files to recover what I can from my backups? ...

In a word, no. Some reverse engineering of the backup database format was done several years ago, but no tool which would let you browse and extract the contents was ever developed as far as I know.

You can try restoring everything except the system reserved partition to another disk (or even just restore one partition at a time to another disk); I don't know if that will help you, though, since it seems you have a corrupt client backup database. If the backup database has been damaged, it's almost certain that you will lose some backups, and it's not uncommon to lose all backups.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

• Marked as answer by Andy Qi Monday, October 21, 2013 4:30 PM
    Saturday, October 5, 2013 1:04 AM

All replies

• ... I want to know if there is a way that I can manually mount the dat files to recover what I can from my backups? ...

In a word, no. Some reverse engineering of the backup database format was done several years ago, but no tool which would let you browse and extract the contents was ever developed as far as I know.

You can try restoring everything except the system reserved partition to another disk (or even just restore one partition at a time to another disk); I don't know if that will help you, though, since it seems you have a corrupt client backup database. If the backup database has been damaged, it's almost certain that you will lose some backups, and it's not uncommon to lose all backups.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

• Marked as answer by Andy Qi Monday, October 21, 2013 4:30 PM
    Saturday, October 5, 2013 1:04 AM
  • I was successful in recovering my XP disk, and my Win 7 OS partition, however the win 7 would not boot and i even copied a system reserve from another machine to try to get it to boot but no dice. 

What has got me up in arms is my XP recovered successfully but still will not boot as there are missing files. I don't understand how that can be since I selected every directory for back up...

This WHS is driving me mad, all these backups and when you need it the most it doesn't work. Makes me wish I was an apple user with time machine... honestly it does.

How has microsoft slipped so far so fast...

Saturday, October 5, 2013 5:44 AM