none
using pairing names bewteen computers RRS feed

• Question

• I am wanting to sync files between home and work using a usb. I have set up a pair name for use between my home folder and usb (home to work backup) and have another pair (work to home backup) that links the usb to my work folder. Should both these pairs have the same name or is it ok to use different pair names? What would happen if I used the same pairing name at home and work?Thanks

Thursday, May 6, 2010 11:49 AM

Answers

• Obviously for one SyncToy instance it does not support to have same name folder pairs.

But for your case, it seems you have two instance installed one on your work machine, the other on your home machine, you use the USB key as transfer. If this is exactly what you do, it dose not matter to have same folder pairs name on your home machine and your work machine.

Just you can distinguish what exactly they means for you.

Thanks,

Ping

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Marked as answer by wheatjef Friday, May 7, 2010 10:15 AM
    Friday, May 7, 2010 4:05 AM

All replies

• Obviously for one SyncToy instance it does not support to have same name folder pairs.

But for your case, it seems you have two instance installed one on your work machine, the other on your home machine, you use the USB key as transfer. If this is exactly what you do, it dose not matter to have same folder pairs name on your home machine and your work machine.

Just you can distinguish what exactly they means for you.

Thanks,

Ping

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Marked as answer by wheatjef Friday, May 7, 2010 10:15 AM
    Friday, May 7, 2010 4:05 AM
  • Thank you Ping. Your answer helps clear up my concerns

Cheers

Friday, May 7, 2010 10:15 AM