Removing and then trying to re-add computers to be backed up RRS feed

• Question

• My new WHS "appliance" is working fine except for one problem I introduced but haven't been able to correct or work round despite hours and hours of effort. 

I spotted a spelling error in the Computer Description field for one of the three computers on my small home network and decided to correct it.  WHS didn't see the correction I'd made after a couple reboots of the computer with the corrected typo, as well as my WHS server.  This bugged me.  Here's when I created my problem:

I thought, why not remove and then re-add the computer involved to WHS.  That's easy (I thought).

While, removing the computer was easy enough!  But how, oh how do I re-add it back again? 

I've tried changing the IP addresses on both computers, hacking the windows registry on WHS server, uninstalling/installing the WHS client and varous other things (some too dumb to mention).  Nothing seems to work.

Anybody know how to do this???

Sunday, December 16, 2007 11:43 PM

Answers

•  Rodger Dodger wrote:

My new WHS "appliance" is working fine except for one problem I introduced but haven't been able to correct or work round despite hours and hours of effort. 

I spotted a spelling error in the Computer Description field for one of the three computers on my small home network and decided to correct it.  WHS didn't see the correction I'd made after a couple reboots of the computer with the corrected typo, as well as my WHS server.  This bugged me.  Here's when I created my problem:

I thought, why not remove and then re-add the computer involved to WHS.  That's easy (I thought).

While, removing the computer was easy enough!  But how, oh how do I re-add it back again? 

I've tried changing the IP addresses on both computers, hacking the windows registry on WHS server, uninstalling/installing the WHS client and varous other things (some too dumb to mention).  Nothing seems to work.

Did you try the following order:

1) Remove the computer from WHS backups

2) Uninstall the WHS software from the client PC that had the typo

3) Reboot both server and client

4) Install WHS software on client PC from network share (not CD)

Monday, December 17, 2007 12:05 AM

All replies

•  Rodger Dodger wrote:

My new WHS "appliance" is working fine except for one problem I introduced but haven't been able to correct or work round despite hours and hours of effort. 

Did you try the following order:

1) Remove the computer from WHS backups

2) Uninstall the WHS software from the client PC that had the typo

3) Reboot both server and client

4) Install WHS software on client PC from network share (not CD)

Monday, December 17, 2007 12:05 AM
  • This worked A-OK.  Problem solved!  Thx very much.

Monday, December 17, 2007 12:32 AM
  • After facing similar frustrations, I can't believe how easy this solution was to implement. Many thanks!

Tuesday, January 8, 2008 7:45 PM