Windows Home Server can not be access via Windows Home Server Console RRS feed

• Question

• Unfortunately I can't access my WHS anymore thru the Windows Home Server Console from any of my clients (3 active clients).

Error: this computer can not access to your home server. Check your network connection and make sure the home server is powered on. If your homeserver .......

Shares are all available and can be accessed via the clients.

Home Server Conector (little Icon) seems to be connected to the WHS as the status colour is changing and notifications/popups are showing up.

The Home Server can be accessed via Remote Desktop internally and via Internet.

The Home Server is not reachable via https://<servername>.homeserver.com/remote

There are no open software updates for the server nor for the clients. The clients all running on win 7 ultimate 32 bit Service Pack 1.

The Home Server has PP3 installed.

Windows Home Server Console: 6.0.2423.0

Any suggestions?

Thanks Jens

• Edited by jenslb Tuesday, January 17, 2012 7:52 PM
    Tuesday, January 17, 2012 3:39 PM

All replies

• Once you access WHS through a Remote Desktop Connection, can you open the WHS Console from the WHS desktop?

BullDawg
    In God We Trust

Unfortunately I can't access my WHS anymore thru the Windows Home Server Console from any of my clients (3 active clients).

Error: this computer can not access to your home server. Check your network connection and make sure the home server is powered on. If your homeserver .......

Shares are all available and can be accessed via the clients.

Home Server Conector (little Icon) seems to be connected to the WHS as the status colour is changing and notifications/popups are showing up.

The Home Server can be accessed via Remote Desktop internally and via Internet.

The Home Server is not reachable via https://<servername>.homeserver.com/remote <https://&lt;servername&gt;.homeserver.com/remote>

There are no open updates for the server nor for the clients. The client are all running win 7 ultimate 32 bit Service Pack 1

The Home Server has PP3 installed. No open Software updates.

Windows Home Server Console: 6.0.2423.0

Any suggestions?

Thanks Jens

BullDawg
    Tuesday, January 17, 2012 4:19 PM
  • Yes and with all functionality.
    MS WHS Issue
    Tuesday, January 17, 2012 7:24 PM
  • From each client computer, search for and run discovery.exe.  On my Windows 7, it is located at

C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server

BullDawg
    In God We Trust

Yes and with all functionality.

MS WHS Issue

BullDawg
    Wednesday, January 18, 2012 4:12 AM
  • Did it. With 2 clients. Both can't connect to the Windows Home Server.

I start the discovery.exe. It starts searching the Home Server, then I will be asked for the password, which I enter and then I get an error message similar to (as my system is in German): "this action can't be completed. Please try again later....)

MS WHS Issue
    Wednesday, January 18, 2012 11:00 AM
  • First,something we should have checked first.  Check your time zone, date, and time in WHS to ensure they are correct and match the client machines.

I don't think you have a network or connectivity problem.  The problem lies within WHS.  Have you installed anything on WHS that was not done through the Add-Ins tab in the WHS Console?  Have you changed the administrative password on WHS or renamed WHS?  Have you installed any updates that were NOT done through the WHS Console?

Does Event Viewer show any errors that may give a clue?  Access Event viewer by Start/Programs/Administrative Tools/Event Viewer.  Double click on any error (red circle with white x) to view the error message.  Most likely looking for a service or device that didn't start properly.  Look for errors in System, Application, and Home Server in Event Viewer.

Also, since your system is German, perhaps this link can provide some help:

http://www.home-server-blog.de/hilfe/howtos/installation/howto-tipps-fur-die-installation-des-whs-connectors/

Please report back on the results.  If you find a solution elsewhere, please post it here also.

BullDawg
    In God We Trust

Did it. With 2 clients. Both can't connect to the Windows Home Server.

I start the discovery.exe. It starts searching the Home Server, then I will be asked for the password, which I enter and then I get an error message similar to (as my system is in German): "this action can't be completed. Please try again later....)

MS WHS Issue

BullDawg
    Wednesday, January 18, 2012 1:15 PM
  • 1. I checked the time zone -> all 3 clients and WHS are in the same time zone.

2. No I actually do not install anything on this machine as this system is running super stable since 4 years now, except the updated via windows update which is done automatically.

3. I have installed the community edition of lightsout. It is running without any issues since month.
    4. I have installed the Whiist, which I never used actually
    5. I have installed Windows home server toolkit. Also never used actively

6. The admin password (shame on me) I have never changed so far.

7. The name of the server never changed in the last 4 years.

8. There are quite some error in the event viewer. Some are related to missing printer driver, some are related to failed backups of clients (which is because I cancled them) but some  errors I don't understand. Means I don't understand the content and what it means. Unfortunately it is in German so I tried to translate or describe the error message. Please the two attached txt filed.

I've also included 2 jpg. The windows update site shows that the update kb2656352 failed, the event viewer is showing the same but the windows software page (controlpanel->software->change or remove programs) shows the update as installed. Please see attached jpg. Does this help you?

MS WHS Issue
    Thursday, January 19, 2012 4:19 PM
  • And here the 2 error messages

Ereignistyp: Fehler
    Ereignisquelle: crypt32
    Ereigniskategorie: Keine
    Ereigniskennung: 11
    Datum: 18.01.2012
    Zeit: 16:56:08
    Benutzer: Nicht zutreffend
    Computer: SERVER
    Beschreibung:
    Die Extrahierung der Drittanbieterstammlisten aus der automatischen Aktualisierungs-CAB-Datei bei <http://www.download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/v3/static/trustedr/en/authrootstl.cab> ist fehlgeschlagen mit dem Fehler: Ein erforderliches Zertifikat befindet sich nicht im Gültigkeitszeitraum gemessen an der aktuellen Systemzeit oder dem Zeitstempel in der signierten Datei.

Weitere Informationen über die Hilfe- und Supportdienste erhalten Sie unter http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Means:

Type: Error

Source: crypt32

Category: no

Description: There must be an error with the CAB file. the automated refresh with the CAB file failed with the error that a certificate is missing or out of date.

Second:

EventType visualstudio8setup, P1 microsoft .net framework 2.0-kb2656352, P2 1031, P3 1603, P4 msi, P5 f, P6 9.0.40215.0, P7 install, P8 x86, P9 w2k3, P10 1920.

Weitere Informationen über die Hilfe- und Supportdienste erhalten Sie unter http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Might be understandable....?

MS WHS Issue
    Thursday, January 19, 2012 4:23 PM
  • I'm running out of ideas, but reference number 2

"2. No I actually do not install anything on this machine as this system is running super stable since 4 years now, except the updated via windows update which is done automatically."

Have you ever visited Windows Update through the Start Menu on WHS? (Start/Windows Update) or have you used Control Panel and clicked on Automatic Updates?  Updates done in this manner have been known to offer updates than can break WHS.  The supported way is through the WHS console (WHS Console/Settings/General/Update Now)

I ask this because in your follow on post, you mention an error (error 2) with a .Net Framework ver 2 update.

This thread on another forum may give some insight and solutions. Hopefully, you won't have to do a server reinstallation, but it is beginning to look that way.

http://forum.wegotserved.com/index.php/topic/7281-whs-connector-broken/

Also, take a look at this thread, especially the last post.

http://forum.wegotserved.com/index.php/topic/4727-installing-microsoft-net-framework-3-5/

and another, and once again, take a look at the last comment by Ken, a server reinstallation may be your only fix.

BullDawg
    In God We Trust

1. I checked the time zone -> all 3 clients and WHS are in the same time zone.

2. No I actually do not install anything on this machine as this system is running super stable since 4 years now, except the updated via windows update which is done automatically.

3. I have installed the community edition of lightsout. It is running without any issues since month.
    4. I have installed the Whiist, which I never used actually
    5. I have installed Windows home server toolkit. Also never used actively

6. The admin password (shame on me) I have never changed so far.

7. The name of the server never changed in the last 4 years.

8. There are quite some error in the event viewer. Some are related to missing printer driver, some are related to failed backups of clients (which is because I cancled them) but some errors I don't understand. Means I don't understand the content and what it means. Unfortunately it is in German so I tried to translate or describe the error message. Please the two attached txt filed.

<http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/getfile/56528/><http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/getfile/56529/>I've also included 2 jpg. The windows update site shows that the update kb2656352 failed, the event viewer is showing the same but the windows software page (controlpanel->software->change or remove programs) shows the update as installed. Please see attached jpg. Does this help you?

MS WHS Issue

BullDawg
    Friday, January 20, 2012 12:24 AM
  • I'm having the exact same issue, my computers and servers are in English. What do I do now?

Thanks!

Wednesday, January 8, 2014 8:42 PM
  • I too have same problem.

WHS been up and running for a couple of years, no problems, now cannot add new PCs to network, and also cannot get onto WHS Console from known good PC. Can access via RDP.

I need to restore a laptop for one of the kids, but cannot attach from this 'new' laptop following re-install of Windows 7 on client PC.

Have also tried known good home router (have two DSL circuits, and one has changed) just in case but no difference.

Icon on system tray does reflect red for critical (one of the laptops has not been backed up) but when I try to open console, it just fails with same error above. Can PING WHS and can see its folders, its just the re-install and console not working.

Monday, January 20, 2014 12:17 PM
  • As a follow up, I am getting regular backup failures on WHS, but they date from 2013 !

szAppName : whsbackup.exe     szAppVer : 6.0.2423.0    

szModName : whsbackup.exe     szModVer : 6.0.2423.0     offset : 00063604  

Plenty of HDD, and system resources.

I have also tried discovery.exe (almost connects, asks for password, but then same error)  and just tried from another laptop but again that cannot connect to WHS with same symptoms

• Edited by WPecker Monday, January 20, 2014 12:49 PM
    Monday, January 20, 2014 12:34 PM
  • SO Ive had enough of WHS and have spent the best part of two days trying to fix this console error, I really feel that the product and support is never ever going to put me in this situation again, I have lost my kids data and really feel let down by yet another technology that does not work.

Im tempted to rip the server out and just pay to have carbonite on each of the laptops and kids PCs.

not a happy bunny :(

Monday, January 20, 2014 10:53 PM
  • Hi,

can you launch the console from within the remote desktop session? Did you install any .NET Framework versions via Windows Update?

What do you mean with "lost data"? If it's data from backup - does ClientRestoreWizard.exe offer to restore volumes or doesn't it find the server either? If its from Shared Folders, you could check the FAQ How to recover data after server failure to regain access to the data.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Tuesday, January 21, 2014 8:58 AM
  • Did anyone find a solution to this? 
    Monday, December 28, 2015 8:24 PM