how do i chaange my back up configuration??? RRS feed

• Question

• I try to change my back up config. and it says it is already done and i cant change it.... it is my account and it tells me i cannot make mine a hub pc.

Tuesday, May 13, 2008 6:01 PM

Answers

• The following should help for the backup settings:

Open OneCare

Click Change Settings

backup tab

Click change settings in the lower left

Make sure that the first screen for Centralized Backup has "No Centralized backup" selected

Click your PC on the left.

Uncheck the selection for "Turn on backup for this PC."

Click Next and save the revised plan.

Go back to the backup tab and click Change Settings in the lower left once again.

Select your PC and click.

Click Turn on backup

Select the change location link and select the drive you want to use for backup

Modify the schedule as desired for "When"

Select the file types as desired for "What"

Click next and save the revised plan with the new selection.

As for the fact that OneCare says you can't make your PC a hub, where are you getting this message? In the backup settings or from the OneCare Circle link from the main interface of OneCare?

-steve

Tuesday, May 13, 2008 6:17 PM

All replies

• The following should help for the backup settings:

Open OneCare

Click Change Settings

backup tab

Click change settings in the lower left

Make sure that the first screen for Centralized Backup has "No Centralized backup" selected

Click your PC on the left.

Uncheck the selection for "Turn on backup for this PC."

Click Next and save the revised plan.

Go back to the backup tab and click Change Settings in the lower left once again.

Select your PC and click.

Click Turn on backup

Select the change location link and select the drive you want to use for backup

Modify the schedule as desired for "When"

Select the file types as desired for "What"

Click next and save the revised plan with the new selection.

As for the fact that OneCare says you can't make your PC a hub, where are you getting this message? In the backup settings or from the OneCare Circle link from the main interface of OneCare?

-steve

Tuesday, May 13, 2008 6:17 PM
  •  

I too want to change my backup configurations....(I simply wish to backup to a different external HD)...BUT the "change settings" link will NOT do anything....have tried a number of times
    Thursday, July 31, 2008 6:39 PM
  • You mean that clicking change settings in the main OneCare program interface doesn't do anything? Is your logon user for Windows a limited user or do you have administrative rights for that ID?

-steve

Thursday, July 31, 2008 6:53 PM
  • I have admin rights....nothing happens when I click "settings"

When OC first opens....I can see the link on the right under the backup heading that says "configure backup", but then it disappears as the program is set for use. Then my choices include view last backup report, start  backup, and restore files. The "change settings" link is clearly visable on the left, but....just for looks.

Thursday, July 31, 2008 8:23 PM
  • Sorry for the extreme delay in replying. I was away for a few days and it has taken until now to get this far into the forum posts.

Since the link for Change Settings is not doing anything at all, I recommend that you contact support or consider reinstalling OneCare.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Wednesday, August 6, 2008 4:43 PM
  •  

Oi!!! That fixed my onecare back-up in a snap!  Good answer and thanks a million!
    Wednesday, October 1, 2008 10:06 PM