Backup failed, now cannot connect to WHS. System Restore? RRS feed

• Question

• Had a dreadful few days with this. First, a backup error reported on one laptop; somehow it left the laptop seeing one drive partiton as empty space when it was not. A backup of that partiton failed with (what I now know is) the "81%" problem many have had for several years. This morning, the other laptop started reporting backup errors. (I din't know if the existing bacups are okay - I really hope so...)

I tried the Connect site - registered, etc. - but when I installed the Toolkit on the server, it froze. Now I cannot connect to the server at all. If I do a system restore on the server, will that keep the existing backups intact and, crucially, is that likely to sort all the problems out?

I just need the simplist solution - three days of anguish is already too much!

Cheers,

Chris

P.S. Running WHS v1 with all updates on all machines and all on automatic.

Monday, November 7, 2011 11:04 AM

All replies

• Don't worry about it - I just got a message saying the 'Primary' hard drive has failed. Humph. My WHS Unleashed book says I'll loose the tombstones which identify the backups when I put in a new drive. I hope I can sort a work-arround as this is not an option!

Also, we've got lots of video & photo files on the server. If we loose any of those I'll be right upset...

Anyway, it means another tedious weekend of computer mending when I could have been living a life (says Mr Angry)!

Cheers,

Chris

Tuesday, November 8, 2011 2:27 PM
  • Regarding possible data loss: you should read this FAQ.

Also, the "81% issue" you mention is a single file restore issue; 81% is the point at which the client side is trying to start up the pseudo-disk driver for the backup (which is displayed in read-only mode as a drive).

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, November 10, 2011 6:06 AM
  • Thanks for your advice Ken (again). :-) (Not that it seems very reassuring...)

The FAQ answers many questions, so thanks for that too. One thing I saw you post in another thread is that a system may not boot from a 2TB drive (BIOS issuses). Is that common? I've just ordered a 2TB drive to repalce the dead 1.5TB unit...

I also saw the same guy in that thread said it was impossible to do a system re-installation to a brand new (unformated) drive. I thought WHS setup formated the drive at the start?

I'm really not looking forward to this weekend!

Cheers,

Chris

Thursday, November 10, 2011 9:11 AM
  • Incidentally, I forgot to mention about the MS Connect site. After I enrolled, etc., I did sumbit a feeback form, minus the cab files since I couldn't get Toolkit to work. (I did include some 'talq' logs though, whatever they are.)

Anyway, I got a reply a couple of days later saying that WHS v1 is not supported anymore and that I should spend money on upgrading to WHS 2011. Not impressed!

Cheers,

Chris

Thursday, November 10, 2011 3:22 PM
  • Link the Connect bug, please?

Also, support information here; whoever said it's not supported any more is misinformed.

Thursday, November 10, 2011 10:05 PM
  • Morning Ken - thanks again for your attention.

The Connect 'bug' (?) is linked here: https://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/feedback/details/699763/drive-missing-81-restore-failure-cannot-mount-drive-etc-now-cannot-connect. (It required me to Sign-In so I'll copy the relevant post here).

'Thank you very much for submitting feedback to us via Connect. Your input is very valuable to us. Now that we have released WHS2011RTM, support for WHS previous visions including v1,RC will no longer be available on the Connect site. Pls try the WHS2011 RTM instead and report to us if you run into similar issues.

Thanks
    Windows Home Server team'

I note that it says support from Connect, not MS - maybe there's a distinction there?

Anyway, there it is. I'll post about how I get on with the restore. I installed two add-in programs on the server (not inculding Toolkit): Mezzmo media file thing and SyncBack. I'm laying a great deal of hope on SyncBack (since the backups seem to be doomed)!

Cheers Ken,

Chris

Friday, November 11, 2011 9:37 AM
  • What I think they're saying is that they're no longer accepting bug reports through Connect for V1. And they never really "supported" V1 through Connect in the sense most people mean.

In any case, you don't have a bug. You have a failing/failed system drive. You'll need to replace the drive, then go through the server recovery process.

Edit: regarding SyncBack, don't pin your hopes on it. Backup software other than the server backup feature built into Windows Home Server is unlikely to work correctly.

Friday, November 11, 2011 12:08 PM
  • A bit of a disaster: server re-installation failed. Though it's failed, I do have a partially working system but Windows Update fails every time (KB950193) which, on searching, is yet another problem many users have found (Update will not progress past this failed update).

Since the most important reason I got a server was to backup our laptops, this is rubbish. I've lost all the data on one partition of my laptop - even though it still exists on backups on the server. Now I've got a dreadful job to manually pull all the shares information off each drive (as per Olaf's thread: http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whsfaq/thread/cf354b5d-b37b-4b7f-a0d5-8e573697777f).

Really angry & disappointed with MS here - and having to rely on diligent (& brave!) volunteers like Ken & Olaf after spending so much money with MS is dreadful. And, of course, there is nothing I can do about it!

Grr.

Chris

Monday, November 14, 2011 8:51 AM
  • Strugglin' on (as they say around here)...

I've had to do a new install onto the new 2TB drive. (No problems there but it's a lot of hassle and massive amounts of time-wasting.) Finished the first laptop backup just after 10 p.m. last night, the second this morning. I had to order a SATA-USB adapter (£3.60, though I saw another (nicer!) for £2.60...) which still hasn't come so I'm stuck and can't transfer the shares yet. Still, at least I have a backup process in place which is reassuring.

However, still chugged-off with MS: everything would be okay if they allowed the server to back itself up (i.e. system disk backup - but I'm not the first to complain about that!). I can't believe I've lost data with all this 'saftey netting' in place...

But it got me thinking. Would Server 2008 back itself up? (Or 2003, or something else?) While we do use the (rubbish) media sharing of WHS, it's backing up that's the really important feature for us. Would Server 2008 do that? Or would it but it'd cost a £gazzilion?

(I did a quick search on this but got no definitive answer. There must be someone who switched from WHS to something else and was happy, or sad, about that.)

Cheers,

Chris

Tuesday, November 15, 2011 11:18 AM
  • Didn't sleep much last night so can't concerntrate on proper work this afternoon. Solution? Fanny-about looking at server information. Obviously!

Found a helpful post from Nick Asseloos in this thread. (I can't access the Server 2011 PDFs because, as it turns out, I need to renew my MS partner membership - anually, by the looks of it. Is there an open access link to these PDFs anywhere?)

If not, the UsingWHS website has a great looking article comparing WHS with Server 2008 & 2011: plenty of reading for me there! On first sight, it looks like the Small Buisiness Server 2011 would be good but I don't know about functionality yet (or price)! (Not sure of the difference between Server 2008 R2 & 2011 yet either.)

Lots to investigate. Still, it' better than working...

Cheers,

Chris

Tuesday, November 15, 2011 3:41 PM
  • The most helpful information is on Paul Thurrott's site - I should have gone there first! Windows Small Buisness Server Essentials is a very good article comparing WHS 2011 with SBS Essentials. (It seems that SBS 2011 is a very powerful, complicated beast. And, he says, it's about $400/£250.)

A bit too much dosh for us, I fear.

Cheers,

Chris

Tuesday, November 15, 2011 4:31 PM