can i view the WHS backup files from a list and recover some files? RRS feed

• Question

• hi i lost some pictures and i have some backups of my computer but i dont wanna receover everything how can i view the individual files out of the backup copies from the whs console or is there another program i need to run to view the files so i can pick and choose what to recover?
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010 9:12 PM

Answers

• You'll find the exact information you need in the Windows Home Server console help, under the topic "Learn how to restore files from a backup".
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010 9:21 PM

All replies

• You'll find the exact information you need in the Windows Home Server console help, under the topic "Learn how to restore files from a backup".
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010 9:21 PM
  • ok thanks sorry i guess that was a dumb question
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010 9:39 PM
  • Heh. "There are no stupid questions, only stupid answers. Possibly including this one."

But the help files are part of the product documentation, as is the Windows Home Server section of the Microsoft web site. There's a lot of excellent information in the documentation, and I honestly do recommend that people attempt to find the answers to questions themselves first, then come here if that fails (as it inevitably will; there's a lot that's not in the documentation too). I'd much rather teach a man to fish, rather than give him a fish...

Tuesday, January 19, 2010 9:47 PM
  • ya i hear ya  and now the connector software isnt working tells me to reboot and stuff i did that  and i uninstalled the connector software and reinstalled it but it cant connect to the server ugh  but i can remote desktop in but cant get the backup serivces or anything running
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010 9:53 PM
  • i cant get connector to work

but i like to know if i move the backups of the computers to different hard drive  and reinstall homeserver with the reset button  and copy back the files will i be able to see the backups  or do i leave the files in place and reinstall windows back on top again  cuz the connector software will not work and my shared files dont show anymore
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010 10:09 PM
  • You can't just move the backup database. It requires that WHS is running correctly. If you cannot get your shared folders or backup service working, your server software needs to be reinstalled.

Use the "server reinstallation" option to get it running again
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010 11:24 PM
  • ok  i was just wondering if i could just copy it and stuff i didnt wanna resinstall server and loose the backups  so it be totally safe?
    Wednesday, January 20, 2010 12:12 AM
  • ok  i was just wondering if i could just copy it and stuff i didnt wanna resinstall server and loose the backups  so it be totally safe?
    Server Reinstallation should only wipe the OS partition, leaving the rest of the data (both in the shares as well as the backup database) in tact.  However, if you want to backup the backup database, it can be done.  Please see the WHS Backup and Restore Technical Brief for details (or you can use the BDBB add-in).
    Wednesday, January 20, 2010 2:56 AM