Partial Crash - OneCare gone, cannot reinstall, internet gone, want to restore from Ext HD----Duh??? RRS feed

• Question

• Partial crash, OS (XP) lost on C: Replugged cables, System switched drives. Second drive had old OS (XP). One Care partially gone, cannot uninstall so that I can reinstall. Switched C: and D: back using regedit. Internet gone -trying to reconnect. Hoping to get internet working. Anyway to reinstall OCare without internet? Want to restore system from external HD.
    I might have to reformat HD, reinstall OS & OCare then hope BU works - don't want to do that till all else fails.
    Thanks for reading this.
    Jack
    Wednesday, December 2, 2009 12:46 AM

Answers

• If your only backups were created by One Care you will have to reinstall the operating system, applications, and One Care. One Care only backs up your data and does not back up the operating system or your programs.
    Jim - MVP Windows Live - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh - Microsoft Security Essentials
    Wednesday, December 2, 2009 3:18 AM
  • You will need to check with Norton/Symantec on that, though I suspect that a valid Ghost image will be able to be restored with a paid copy of Ghost even if that image was created earlier with a demo version.
    -steve
    ~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Wednesday, December 2, 2009 12:56 PM

All replies

• If your only backups were created by One Care you will have to reinstall the operating system, applications, and One Care. One Care only backs up your data and does not back up the operating system or your programs.
    Jim - MVP Windows Live - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh - Microsoft Security Essentials
    Wednesday, December 2, 2009 3:18 AM
  • Jim

Thank you for looking at this.

I did run a Norton Ghost backup on a demo (whick has expired) a few months ago. Do you think a subscription now will get back my stuff without reloading all the programs??

Thanks
    Jack
    Wednesday, December 2, 2009 3:37 AM
  • You will need to check with Norton/Symantec on that, though I suspect that a valid Ghost image will be able to be restored with a paid copy of Ghost even if that image was created earlier with a demo version.
    -steve
    ~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Wednesday, December 2, 2009 12:56 PM
  • Thank you both, Jim ans Stephen, for looking at this.

I think a good lesson from this is to suggest people download the 60 day demo of Norton Ghost and make a copy of your drive. Should you have a crash then you can buy a version of Ghost and recover everything. Otherwise I have to reload Office, priinters, Turbocad, Photoshop, etc, etc... Will try this Ghost recovery next week

Thanks again
    Jack
    Wednesday, December 2, 2009 2:09 PM