none
Defragmenting problem? - picture metadata will not display correct after defragmenting WHS RRS feed

• Question

• I suspect that the defragmenter destroys/changes some file information in the metadata of my image (jpg) files. My story is:

I have  5 300 images representing 23 GB stored in my Photos shared folder. Approx 2000 of these images are geotagged with GPS in the Exif metadata. I have recently used Microsoft Pro Photo Tools 2 to get location information and save it to image metadata. After working some time, I experience that saving images to my WHS became extremely slow. Two examples:

-          66 images took 18min 36 sec to save =>              average 17 sec per image

-          10 images took   1 min 41 sec to save =>              average 10 sec per image

A few days ago I installed PerfectDisk 2008 for WHS and defragmentet my WHS - the WHS was 37% defragmentd! During defragging I saw that some image files were heavily defragmented. Most of the files had between 3 and 13 fragments, but quite a lot had between 20 and 49 fragments per file.

After running PerfectDisk 2008, the file fragmentation disappeared - as expected, and the save operation in Pro Photo Tools 2 was again up to normal speed.

But unfortunately the defragmentation had some side effects. Parts of the GPS file information (ie the Longitude info) became unreadable by some programs. I have more than 2000 images that are geotagged, and all these files are affected.

The error results in that some programs cannot read parts of the metadata GPS info, whilst other can:

·         Pro Photo Tools 2 can read all data.

·         Microsoft Expression Media 2, Nikon ViewNX and Nikon Capture NX2 cannot read the Longitude data whilst Latitude and Altitude data is displayed correct.

Anybody else that have experienced this problem or have suggestions on what might be the problem?

Sunday, December 21, 2008 10:06 AM

All replies

• jostrav said:

I suspect that the defragmenter destroys/changes some file information in the metadata of my image (jpg) files. My story is:

I have  5 300 images representing 23 GB stored in my Photos shared folder. Approx 2000 of these images are geotagged with GPS in the Exif metadata. I have recently used Microsoft Pro Photo Tools 2 to get location information and save it to image metadata. After working some time, I experience that saving images to my WHS became extremely slow. Two examples:

-          66 images took 18min 36 sec to save =>              average 17 sec per image

-          10 images took   1 min 41 sec to save =>              average 10 sec per image

A few days ago I installed PerfectDisk 2008 for WHS and defragmentet my WHS - the WHS was 37% defragmentd! During defragging I saw that some image files were heavily defragmented. Most of the files had between 3 and 13 fragments, but quite a lot had between 20 and 49 fragments per file.

After running PerfectDisk 2008, the file fragmentation disappeared - as expected, and the save operation in Pro Photo Tools 2 was again up to normal speed.

But unfortunately the defragmentation had some side effects. Parts of the GPS file information (ie the Longitude info) became unreadable by some programs. I have more than 2000 images that are geotagged, and all these files are affected.

The error results in that some programs cannot read parts of the metadata GPS info, whilst other can:

·         Pro Photo Tools 2 can read all data.

·         Microsoft Expression Media 2, Nikon ViewNX and Nikon Capture NX2 cannot read the Longitude data whilst Latitude and Altitude data is displayed correct.

Anybody else that have experienced this problem or have suggestions on what might be the problem?

My suggestion would be to contact Raxco and ask them (since it's their app that caused the problem).
    Sunday, December 21, 2008 4:06 PM
  • I have contacted Raxco this weekend and are waiting for their response :-).

If the problem I experience is a defragmenting problem - which I'm not quite sure of yet - then it is a serious issue, and therefore I'm interested to hear if anybody else have experienced similar issues.
    Sunday, December 21, 2008 4:24 PM