WHS IP address reset to 0.0.0.0 after couple hours RRS feed

• Question

• I am using a Wireless router as DHCP server to automatic assign IP address to all PC behind it.
    But after couple hours (not sure how many?), the IP address of WHS has been reset to 0.0.0.0

At first I figure that's because it's power saving which caused this.
    I un-check the selection "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power"  but still don't know why.

I will try to set fixed IP addres to WHS to see what happens.

Sunday, September 6, 2009 2:30 AM

Answers

• Some onboard NICs have been known for have weaknesses in driver support for Windows Server 2003.
    This had performance and stability effects, but it still could be something else like a bad connected network cable.
    If the server has multiple network adapters, disable the not used adapter(s) in device manager to reduce the causes for trouble and improve the chances to narrow down the cause.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    • Marked as answer by WenYi Chen Wednesday, September 9, 2009 6:56 PM
    Tuesday, September 8, 2009 7:49 AM

All replies

• This sounds to me like there is more than one DHCP server on your network.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, September 6, 2009 4:07 AM
  • 0.0.0.0 is a rather strange address - since in a usual DHCP configuration the machine will either receive a valid IP address from any of the attached DHCP servers or get an address via APIPA.
    So it could be, that there is some misconfiguration (i.e. as described in KB822123) or an issue with the cabling (although you talk about a wireless router - is your server connected wireless, which is not supported?).

If you use a fixed address, dont forget to put in the DNS server address as well (usually your router) and enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP on the WINS tab in the Advanced dialog).
    Olaf
    Sunday, September 6, 2009 11:50 AM
  • Yes, The wireless router is behind another DHCP server.  But I think that should not matters, all other PCs on the same router does not have this problem

My Home server is connected wired not wireless. 
    But the DNS server address is still the IP address from ISP (assigned by the wireless router)

Yesterday I configure a static IP address outside the DHCP IP range (by mapping MAC address to one fixed IP address)
    Today, I found the IP address of WHS is still there, but loosing connection with other computers.  That is, other PC cannot see it or connnect to it.  And from the WHS, if I ping the router and get no response.

What I did today is to change the DNS server address to my router and enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP on the WINS to see what will happen.

So it's loosing connection, IP address became 0.0.0.0 is just one situation, I think
    Monday, September 7, 2009 6:07 PM
  • I would check the physical connection - bad cable, NIC or port on the switch could all be broken and cause this behavior. Can you check also the event viewer on the server, if there are related errors in the logs (assuming mainly the system log)?
    Olaf
    Monday, September 7, 2009 10:03 PM
  • Olaf,

You remind me that I was using Wireless connection for a day or two before wired.  I did not have the problem then.
    My Home Server Hardware is the ACER Revo mini PC, which is a Intel Atom 230 + nVidia ION platform.  I was told today that the nVidia NIC is not that stable

Tuesday, September 8, 2009 1:58 AM
  • Some onboard NICs have been known for have weaknesses in driver support for Windows Server 2003.
    This had performance and stability effects, but it still could be something else like a bad connected network cable.
    If the server has multiple network adapters, disable the not used adapter(s) in device manager to reduce the causes for trouble and improve the chances to narrow down the cause.
    Olaf
    • Marked as answer by WenYi Chen Wednesday, September 9, 2009 6:56 PM
    Tuesday, September 8, 2009 7:49 AM
  • I had wirelss running for two days without problem, then I switched back to wired.  I got disconnected again. Checked the event log.
    I saw the following error.  don't understand what it saying.

source: MRxSmb

The master browser has received a server announcement from the computer WENYICHEN
    that believes that it is the master browser for the domain
    on transport NetBT_Tcpip_{0E15AAB8-05AA-400D. The master browser is stopping or
    an election is being forced.

0000: 00000000 004e0003 00000000 c0001f43
    0010: 00000000 00000000 0000000a 00000000
    0020: 00000000 00000000  

Thursday, September 10, 2009 4:42 PM
  • This message happens to appear, if NetBIOS over TCP/IP is enabled, and it can't see the Master Browser for NetBIOS names (not for DNS names).
    Usually these messages point to the fact, that either there is no current master browser (maybe NetBIOS over TCP/IP is disabled on the server) or due to a connection loss the new election is initiated (which could point to driver or hardware issues again or a blocking behavior of some software or hardware).
    At least this has nothing to do with DNS any more, so we seem to be back on the physical or driver layer.
    Would be interesting, if that also happens, if you use a separate switch to connect the machines with each other instead of the routers network ports. (And again, how is the quality of your network cables?)

Best greetiings from Germany
    Olaf
    Thursday, September 10, 2009 10:46 PM
  • The PC and Server connects to the same wireless router.  I have changed the netowork cable to a CAT-5 one, this one should OK, but still connection lost.

The network configuration for wireless and wired on the server is the same.  If driver issue, what is the closest driver to be used on WHS, Windows XP or Windows Vista.   nVidia does provide provide network driver for Windows server 2003.

I am also curious to know what is the master browser and what does it do, and what is the link to NetBIOS names.
    Sunday, September 13, 2009 10:03 AM
  • The network configuration for wireless and wired on the server is the same.  If driver issue, what is the closest driver to be used on WHS, Windows XP or Windows Vista.   nVidia does provide provide network driver for Windows server 2003.

I am also curious to know what is the master browser and what does it do, and what is the link to NetBIOS names.

best driver choice would be Windows XP, since the architecture changed with Windows Vista.

KB188001 explains the role of the Computer Browser (which includes master browser for a network segment), which is an oldstyle method of name resolution for NetBIOS names (the short names with up to 15 chars).

Another question comes into my mind - do your clients have additional network protocols besides TCP/IP installed? While this should not be a cause for WHS loosing its IP address totally, this might also be a reason for connection troubles in LAN environment.

Olaf
    Sunday, September 13, 2009 6:51 PM
  • Thank you for the explanation.

No other protocols were installed besides TCP/IP. 

BTW, do you know if and how WHS support DLNA connection?

Monday, September 14, 2009 6:38 PM