New Features Suggestions RRS feed

• Question

• I've used Sync Toy for a few years and I have a short wish list based on my experiences.  I'm using Sync Toy 2.1.

1. I'd like to be able to control the order in which folders are synchronized so that I can first synchronize Folders A and B and then synchronize the results between Folders A and C.  Currently, Sync Toy will miss some of the updated files in one of the folders and I have to run it twice in order to ensure that all folders have the same files.  I could avoid this if I could force A and B to run before A and C get synchronized.

2. While the Sync Toy command line argument "-R" allows me to schedule one folder to run at at specific time, I'd like to be able to include multiple arguments to run more than one folder on a schedule.  For example, I'd like to update all of my finance folders at 2:00 pm every day.

Similarly, I'd like to exclude folders in a task schedule such as run all folders except for A, C, G, and X.

3. Finally, I'd like to be able to resize the UI the way I want it.  Currently, it takes way too many clicks and drags to be able to see all the information in all my folder pairs.  I have to maximize the screen and then click on each of the columns to maximize them as well.

Strangely, if the window is not maximized, I cannot increase the width of the UI in order to see all of the folder pair information even though my monitor has enough room to see it all.  I just can't drag the UI further than about 2 inches.  I'm forced to either maximize the window or use the horizontal scroll bar until it makes me a raving alcoholic.  What's that all about?  Poor design should have adverse consequences for the programmer; not the user--well, I guess the programmer could be dealing with his own lost weekends as well.

Monday, November 23, 2009 11:38 AM

Answers

• HI FMB501,

Thanks for the great feedback! I have some recommendations for your first suggestion. For the other suggestions, I will add them to the wish list for next release.

Q1. I'd like to be able to control the order in which folders are synchronized so that I can first synchronize Folders A and B and then synchronize the results between Folders A and C.  Currently, Sync Toy will miss some of the updated files in one of the folders and I have to run it twice in order to ensure that all folders have the same files.  I could avoid this if I could force A and B to run before A and C get synchronized.

[Nina]: on the left panel, when you select "All Folder Pairs", you will see all folder pairs list one by one in the main window with checkbox on the left side of each item. You can control which folder pair to sync by using the checkbox.

For example, in your case, I assume there are only two folder pairs.

A <--> B
    A <--> C

If you want to force A and B to sync before A and C, all you need to do is to uncheck the checkbox of A<-->C and keep the checkbox of A<-->B checked, then do sync, which will only sync between A and B. Once it's done, you can then do the same for A<-->C.

Thanks,
    Nina
    • Proposed as answer by Danish Wang Friday, November 27, 2009 5:37 AM
    • Marked as answer by Nina H Tuesday, December 1, 2009 1:30 AM
    Tuesday, November 24, 2009 2:37 AM