Service Executable has encountered a problem and needs to close. MsMpEng.exe

Question

• I regularly get an error message that says:
    "Service Executable has encountered a problem and needs to close." OneCare virus and spyware monitoring then stops.

The Error signature is:
    szAppName: MsMpEng.exe szAppVer: 1.5.1958.0 szModName MpSvc.dll

Furthermore, the OneCare Visit Online help link errors out with "Server Erro in "/" Application, and I have spent HOURS searching the web, forums and other resources for help!!!!! Cannot seem to get to a help source for One Care at all.

Saturday, February 07, 2009 5:27 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hello Mike, I suggest contacting support for help with this issue. Try deleting your cookies and temporary internet files before attempting to contact support. How to reach support - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90  If you continue to get server errors when attempting to contact support send an e-mail with One Care in the subject line to jrap107@msn.com and I will help you reach support.
    Jim
    Sunday, February 08, 2009 2:03 AM
  •  Support is unable to help, I have worked with several support people in OneCare and Update, meanwhile OneCare has left me vulnerable to attack and is affecting other programs and my productivity and internet access. I have several support cases going: 1093652982, 1092978997, SRX1093660916.

I was told 2 weeks ago the issue was "escalated" and they were working on a solution, but have heard nothing in a week and a half.

I believe the issues are all intertwined: Microsoft Update/Service Executable/OneCare/SQL. ACT!2009 keeps stopping. One care keeps stopping. Updates keep failing.

Some one needs to pay attention to this. If my computer gets attacked after paying Microsoft to protect it, there will be hell to pay.

Several support techs have taken remote control of my computer in attempts to resolve, taking HOURS of my time. I was told to get Professional Support Assistance, but refuse to pay $100 minimum to even start the conversation.

Mike Wills
    Saturday, February 28, 2009 9:24 PM
  • I'm sorry to read of the problems you are encountering. I agree that their may well be a common cause and that cause seems to be a problem outside of OneCare. It is possible that malware has slipped past OneCare and that's causing the issues, but I think that the problem may be deeper and involves corruption or a broken or missing service.
    Your best solution may be to back up your data files (making sure that the backups are good - perhaps using more than one backup process; OneCare backup and also a file copy of your most important files in Windows Explorer). Then format the drive and reinstall Windows per the instructions from your computer manufacturer.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Monday, March 02, 2009 7:36 PM
  • Mike,

Have you found a solution to this yet save for the hard drive format?  I am having the exact same problem, but with two .dll's crashing, mpsvc.dll and mpavrtm.dll.

Most of the time when mpsvc.dll takes down OneCare virus and spyware monitoring it will correct itself within about 30 seconds or so, but when mpavrtm.dll takes down OneCare it doesn't recover.  I either have to go to a command prompt and stop and restart winss, or reboot.  I am about ready to punt OneCare, I just purchased a OneCare site license about a month ago, and am beginning to regret it.
    Wednesday, March 04, 2009 12:32 AM
  • Mike, the crash of those two dll's seem to indicate that there is a problem with the core services for the protection service - the part of OneCare that deals  with the signature database. I suggest trying the following:
    1. Try running the Virus and Spyware repair tool - http://social.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/onecareupdate/thread/a110d77b-6829-4bc6-8a16-8125e7093913/
    2. Try the database reset tool -  http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=4bc2594b-95ab-4235-b5b8-41656b38480f&DisplayLang=en
    3. Consider reinstalling OneCare, running the cleanup tool after uninstall and before install - http://social.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/399071e2-49dc-4767-932d-d261e3965943/

If none of these help, please contact support.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90

-steve

Wednesday, March 04, 2009 6:55 AM
  • I am having this same problem.  Is there a solution?
    Monday, March 09, 2009 9:12 PM
  • Same problem here...solution, please? Started last week.
    Tuesday, March 10, 2009 2:54 AM
  •  If anyone has the solution to the Service Executable issue that started on my computer last week that turns off One Care, please help!!!!  It appears as though Windows Defender and One Care are in conflict with one another.  I have been working on this all day long.  I have searched One Care's Troubleshooting page, have searched forums and have tried every solution  - short of uninstalling One Care.  I am about to Uninstall and buy another anti-virus program. 
    Tuesday, March 10, 2009 3:20 AM
  • OneCare and Defender won't conflict unless you are turning Defender on again. OneCare and Defender use the same engine and OneCare expands upon the protection offered by and signatures used by Defender.
    I realize that an earlier message in the thread indicated that support could not help, but support should help. Contact support and if the front line techs cannot identify the cause and resolve the problem, request that the case be escalated.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90

-steve

Tuesday, March 10, 2009 3:44 PM
  • HI Steve,

Thanks for your reply.  But it is definately a problem between Windows Defender and One Care.  I spent 12 hours trying to fix it.  I even completely uninstalled and reinstalled one care.  The day it started, 3-4-09, there was a  definition update for Defender KB915597.  This update, it appears cannot be rolled back.  One care starts green and goes red as soon as I open the MSN browser, I can turn it back on manually.  But it only stays that way for a short time and then I get a message that Service Executable has encountered a problem and needed to close.  It is linked to the MsMpEng.exe folder, which is related to Defender. 

Calling One Care is the last thing I want to do.  Last time I had a problem, I spent at least 8 hours on the phone with a tech from who knows where, who was simply going through all the steps that I have already tried.  Weeks later they discovered a conflict and fixed the problem in 20 minutes!

Any other ideas????

Tuesday, March 10, 2009 4:00 PM
  •  You should not have received a Defender update if your machine is running OneCare as Defender is supposed to be off if it is a Vista machine or uninstalled if it is an XP machine. MSMPENG.EXE is the engine used by both OneCare and Defender for scanning.
    If you do not want to call OneCare support, I suggest disabling or uninstalling Defender, then removing the Defender update from add/remove programs (show updates), and, if needed, uninstall OneCare, run the cleanup tool - http://social.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/399071e2-49dc-4767-932d-d261e3965943/ - and the reinstall OneCare.
    The interesting part of your message about your last support experience is that the conflict was found and resolved on a subsequent call weeks after the first. If a support case begins to drag on longer than you want - 8 hours is excessive - you can immediately request that the tech escalate to a higher level of support. Or, you can call back and work with a different tech if the first is stumbling.
    -steve
    Tuesday, March 10, 2009 4:19 PM
  • I am still having the problem after a session with OneCare support. Has anyone actually solved this issue yet?

William L Oppenheim
    Saturday, March 14, 2009 1:08 AM
  • Nope!  I uninstalled - ran a clean up,  and reinstalled and had the same problem return.  The update for Window's Defender referred to above could not be rolled back.  I even tried system restore and that didn't work either. As soon as someone figures this out, please post the answer!  I couldn't get through to OneCare and Microsoft wanted to charge $139 to fix it and give me MaCafee, "a MUCH better product."  Interestingly, doesn't Microsoft produce OneCare?  Then I installed Norton 360, which messed with my sidebar and put a strange incon on there instead!

As soon as someone figures this out, please post the answer! 
    Saturday, March 14, 2009 6:57 PM
  • Could those of you having these issues please check and confirm if they began after the installation of a Windows Update titled ".NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1"?  Please see if this has installed (or failed to install) on your system by running Windows Update, either through Internet Explorer for Windows XP or directly with Windows Vista.  Then look at the "Review your update history" or "View update history" list and scroll or page back to look for it.

If these coincide, the issue may be related to a problem with the update of the .NET Framework 2.0 portion of  the much larger update mentioned above.  This update began delivering to Windows XP/Vista systems in late January and has had occasional problems with the uninstall process required for the existing .NET Framework 2.0, which can cause the entire update to fail or become corrupt.

The reason I suspect this is that your symptoms are Windows Defender is starting to run, which indicates that the disabling of Defender by OneCare is failing, possibly due to the fact that Onecare itself won't start properly.  Even if OneCare is still installed, if the .NET Framework 2.0 isn't installed properly this can cause portions of OneCare to fail, resulting in failures and errors similar to those you have been seeing.

This is only a guess, so let's not get too far ahead of ourselves, but if any of you can confirm a relationship to the timing of your problems and this update then I'll guide you to the instructions for removing the existing .NET 2.0 installation completely to allow the .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 installation to complete.

OneCareBear
    Windows OneCare Forum Moderator
    Saturday, March 14, 2009 11:34 PM
  • My .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 installation happened successfully on Feb 19. I think we started experiencing this problem the first week in March or so. For us, there does not seem to be a direct timing correlation with the 3.5 SP and my "Service Executable" problem, which turns of my virus/spyware monitoring. This is my wife's Windows XP computer running Onecare (my wife is getting rather annoyed that I can't solve this problem...someone please help save my marriage.)
    Sunday, March 15, 2009 7:03 PM
  •  I checked Windows Update and found that the Service Pac you asked about was successfully installed an entire month before I began having the issue.  I was working on my computer the day One Care went red.  It was March 4th, I believe, late in the afternoon, Mountain time.  It is possible that the Defender Update was installed later that day, perhaps even by me as I was attempting to fix the issue,  and so may not be the cause.  No other upates that day or for several days previous. Here are the details:

Definition Update for Windows Defender - KB915597 (Definition 1.51.1279.0)

Installation date: ‎3/‎4/‎2009 9:12 PM

Installation status: Successful

Update type: Important

Install this update to revise the definition files used to detect spyware and other potentially unwanted software. Once you have installed this item, it cannot be removed.

More information:
    http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/about/overview.mspx

Help and Support:
    http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=52661

Monday, March 16, 2009 6:31 PM
  • Not_a_geek said:

Thanks for your reply.  But it is definately a problem between Windows Defender and One Care.  I spent 12 hours trying to fix it.  I even completely uninstalled and reinstalled one care.  The day it started, 3-4-09, there was a  definition update for Defender KB915597.  This update, it appears cannot be rolled back.  One care starts green and goes red as soon as I open the MSN browser, I can turn it back on manually.  But it only stays that way for a short time and then I get a message that Service Executable has encountered a problem and needed to close.  It is linked to the MsMpEng.exe folder, which is related to Defender. 

bobponcha and Not_a_geek,

Thanks for checking, I think you've confirmed that the .NET 3.5 update wasn't involved in your issue.  However, reading your synopsis of events was revealing Not_a_geek, since you appear to have the timing nailed down.  BTW, I'm sorry to have to let you know that 'you are a geek', since only geeks would be that aware of what's happening to their PC, but that's a good thing in this case ;-)

Though it doesn't appear a Windows (or Defender) Update triggered this, I'd suspect that some other porgram update may have been involved.  Another thing Not_a_geek mentioned an an earlier post which I've quoted above was that you can trigger the problem by opening the 'MSN Browser", by which I assume you mean the MSN Explorer which is most commonly used for dial-up?  If so, it's possible that there was a silent background update to this browser which might have been involved.  I used to have this software on a PC myself to support a PC using dial-up, so I'm familiar with it's operation.

Though it's still just a guess, the fact that you can trigger a OneCare failure by running the MSN browser is quite interesting and thus worth pursuing.  If anyone else here is using that browser and/or can similarly trigger their OneCare failure by executing some program that would be just as potentially useful to determine the root cause.

OneCareBear
    Windows OneCare Forum Moderator
    Monday, March 16, 2009 7:15 PM
  • I contacted Microsoft and asked that this be looked into. I did get a response from one person who suggested that past experience with this error was that a file was being scanned causing the engine to crash. THis was typically revelaed through analysis of the support logs. You may be contacted for logs (the post with the case numbers) to check this out. Often, I'm told, that the problem file is in the \Temporary Internet Files or the \Temp directory. If you clear Temporary Internet Files and run disk cleanup and allow it to dump your temp folder contents, you may luck out.

-steve

Monday, March 16, 2009 10:02 PM
  • I don't have dial up.  I have DSL.  I cleared all my temp folders in my attempt to solve the issue.  It was one of OneCare's several steps toward a solution.  Nothing worked!

As a review this is what happened. 

On 3-04, I was working at my desk when OneCare went red. (Don't remember whether I was using a browser at the time since I have a constant internet connection, that may not matter.) I opened the OneCare program and "fixed" it.  It stayed green for about 3-5 minutes and then suddenly went red again.  After much investigation and attempts to fix, I discovered the information stated (above) in other posts.  Simply that the MsMpEng.exe folder is where the problem resides. And that opening a browser is a trigger to go red., and that "Service Executable encountered a problem and needed to close." 

After trying ALL the fixes posted on the OneCare site, the problem persists. 

How would I find out if a "background update" caused it?  And could it have been an update for something else, like my keyboard?  (See,this question may indeed proove that I am Not_a_geek.)
    Tuesday, March 17, 2009 1:45 AM
  •  HERE ARE THE RELATED LOGS FROM THE DATE IT ALL BEGAN!!!!!
     DOES THIS HEP??? (eeeK DOES THIS MAKE ME A GEEK?)

Log Name:      Application 
    Source:        Application Hang
    Date:          3/3/2009 9:40:43 AM
    Event ID:      1002
    Task Category: (101)
    Level:         Error
    Description:
    The program msn.exe version 9.60.53.2200 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. Process ID: 564 Start Time: 01c99b947f52fce0 Termination Time: 661

Log Name:      Application
    Source:        Application Error
    Date:          3/4/2009 11:09:37 AM
    Event ID:      1000
    Task Category: (100)
    Level:         Error
    Description:
    Faulting application MsMpEng.exe, version 1.5.1958.0, time stamp 0x4875514e, faulting module MpSvc.dll, version 1.5.1958.0, time stamp 0x4875514d, exception code 0xc0000005, fault offset 0x0000da7f, process id 0x3f0, application start time 0x01c999bc8dabdb4c.

Log Name:      System
    Source:        Service Control Manager
    Date:          3/4/2009 11:11:16 AM
    Event ID:      7031
    Description:
    The OneCare AntiSpyware and AntiVirus service terminated unexpectedly.  It has done this 1 time(s).  The following corrective action will be taken in 15000 milliseconds: Restart the service.
    (THIS WAS THE FIRST of MANY!!!!!!)
    Tuesday, March 17, 2009 5:34 AM
  • eeek! Yes, you may actually be a geek since you knew where to find the system Event Logs. :-) LOL!

The first entry appears to refer to a crash of MSN Explorer 9.6...

No, the logs referred to are the support logs that can be created by OneCare.
    http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecaregeneral/thread/e9794ec0-7bf4-49ce-9326-2b1983fb03a1

You can send the zipped logs to wloc@live.com and/or sboots@mvps.org (make sure you type "OneCare Logs" in the subject line and paste a link to this forum thread: http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareanti-virus/thread/890f1127-da45-4f01-b664-614a4f796857 in the message body. I'll forward the log on for review.

You won't be able to view or decipher the logs (nor I), but support can (and should!) do this to determine what is causing it to crash.

It is interesting to note that opening the web browser seems to trigger the crash in your case. I would anticipate that it might be a downloaded add-in or something in the Temporary Internet Files that is not being deleted that is causing the crash.

-steve
    Tuesday, March 17, 2009 3:17 PM
  • Thank you for sticking with me on this.  But your suggestion above is a bit more complicated than I am able to accomplish.
    Tuesday, March 17, 2009 6:41 PM
  • Not_a_geek said:

Thank you for sticking with me on this.  But your suggestion above is a bit more complicated than I am able to accomplish.

Which part? Creating the support log zip file or sending the email? You can contact support and ask for your case to be escalated. Post the case number here and I'll ask for someone to follow up if support can't resolve it directly.
    -steve
    Tuesday, March 17, 2009 8:38 PM
  • ...Creating the log/ zip file. 

Also, I don't have a case number.  I could not reach OneCare; honestly I didn't try very hard because last time - many months ago I called them they took over my computer for 8 hours.  The issue was resolved later on with an update to the product.  I get OneCare through my account with MSN Premium, and had to contact my phone company, who gave me a number for techs at Microsoft, thinking it was a number for OneCare. The guys from Microsoft wanted to sell me a remote clean and repair service and  a different product - MaCafee.  This is getting frustrating when companies are not able to support their products! UGH!
    Tuesday, March 17, 2009 9:31 PM
  • Sorry that you had a prior poor support experience. If you are getting OneCare from your phone company (DSL provider) with MSN Premium, *they* are your support contact, not Microsoft. The DSL providers have a partner deal in that they give you the subscription for free and they handle the support. If they cannot resolve the problem they need to contact Microsoft to escalate the problem, not you. Unfortunately, that makes things more difficult. If you were sent to MSN Premium subscriber support, they don't provide OneCare to subscribers, they provide McAfee as part of the subscription for paying MSN Premium or Dialup subscribers.I'm not aware of any remote clean and repair service that costs money from Microsoft, nor would Microsoft sell you McAfee protection, so I'm not sure where you were sent for help by your ISP.
    In any event, the support log zip file really isn't hard to create at all. The steps are clearly outlined in the post I linked to. Give it a try and send the zip file through and we'll try to circumvent the support process that requires that you go through yoru DSL provider.
    -steve

Wednesday, March 18, 2009 12:37 PM
  • In addition to One Care's difficulty keeping the anti-virus and anti-spyware features running, prior to the error message msmpeng.exe grabs hold of most of the CPU(s) bandwidth and won't let go even when trying the strong-arm move of opeing Task Manager.

This thread has been very helpful. I've been getting the sense that One-Care is becoming an orphaned product. I love the concept, but the execution is a big problem. I will uninstall it and replace it with something else. I will continue to monitor updates. But it's necessary to protect my system.

- Greg
    Wednesday, March 18, 2009 6:43 PM
  • gregdmiller2000 said:

In addition to One Care's difficulty keeping the anti-virus and anti-spyware features running, prior to the error message msmpeng.exe grabs hold of most of the CPU(s) bandwidth and won't let go even when trying the strong-arm move of opeing Task Manager.

This thread has been very helpful. I've been getting the sense that One-Care is becoming an orphaned product. I love the concept, but the execution is a big problem. I will uninstall it and replace it with something else. I will continue to monitor updates. But it's necessary to protect my system.

- Greg

If you are encountering the Service Executable crash, then, based on your description of msmpeng spiking, that lends credence to the opinion that the engine is crashing when scanning a specific file as mentioned a few posts back in the thread.

-steve
    Wednesday, March 18, 2009 6:47 PM
  • I followed the steps to create the zip file.  Only one problem I have uninstalled the program while I l try to resolve the problem, so the OneCare support file is not there, although there are other OneCare files and folders, including a log file!  Not sure I want to reinstall unless it is VERY likely that they know what to do about it.  I was told by Qwest (the phone company) that they will no longer offer OneCare starting in June.  So, I am not sure it is worth the effort. 
    Wednesday, March 18, 2009 7:15 PM
  • It is up to you as far as worth. If you've moved on to another security product, I'd personally not continue to troubleshoot the OneCare issue. You're correct  - if OneCare was uninstalled, there's no point in creating the support zip file.
    Interesting that the Qwest support person noted June, since the actual end of OneCare availability for new activations has not been announced. All we know right now is that new activations and renewals will no longer be allowed some time prior to the end of 2009.
    -steve
    Thursday, March 19, 2009 12:57 PM
  • I have just read (most) of all of the above on the OneCare product, which I bought a couple of days' ago, on a 'suck it and see' basis. I have previously used Norton, McAfee and am currently in and out of AVG.

It is astonishing that Microsoft sell you a product which cannot cope with one of its own operating systems (XP SP3 in my case). AVG worked and did not cause crashes. I suspended it for reasons not to do with its efficiency and, by the look of things, will be going back to it (€45-odd lighter). (It is fully uninstalled as I write, before anyone suggests lingering AVG components are causing OneCare to crash.)

Event Viewer advises that my "Service Executable has encountered a problem..." message is rooted in some .dll media files, whether with Quick Time, WMP or whomever.

I am going to have a look at Windows Update (something OneCare was supposed to do as part of its Tune Up... but it never got that far) to see if there's anything there to instal which might fix the problem, download same, then see what happens with my new, troublous OneCare.

But, this sort of thing is extremely annoying. Computers are for working with, not fixing. Ordinary users should not have to spend hours poking about inside their system to make a virus scanner supplied by the same people who devised the basic operating system work.

Wilks,
    Ireland,
    0817GMT, 29vii09.
    Tuesday, July 28, 2009 8:17 AM
  • The vast majority of people using OneCare do not encounter the problem that you are seeing. I recommend contacting OneCare support as it would seem that something on your system may be in conflict with OneCare or your install of OneCare was not 100% successful.

-steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Tuesday, July 28, 2009 2:30 PM
  • WWilks,

I am sorry to read about your issues.  I went through the same thing, so I know how you feel!   I was also told that this crash was rare.  I started to think that it might relate to the type of computer.  I have a Dell Dimension E520.  Please post if you find a solution. 

Tuesday, July 28, 2009 5:38 PM
  • I will do that. But, I've been here before! KB951847 was a monumentally problematic (taking into account the unnumerable blog posts on it) .NET update - again, a Microsoft component refusing to intergrate with pre-existing Microsoft items. The problem (here) was solved via Microsoft Support, over five days, by email. The support was thorough. The problem lay in a previous .NET update which was corrupt and failed to uninstal properly. A special tool was supplied which finally got rid of all of it. The point is that the rogue update was corrupt before it arrived here. (After this long procedure, KB951847 was finally installed successfully, to much rejoicing.)

Indications are that various (non-Windows) media components are making OneCare crash. But, my bet is that OneCare was imported here in a corrupt state, or is being caused to crash by another Windows component with which the various media applications correlate. Its crashing also coincides with a Windows Live update failing to instal, this - apparently - on account of the update being unable to uninstal the previous (barely used) Messenger application on this computer.

I'm afraid all of this reeks of there being too many cooks in the Microsoft kitchen! As regards the laudably loyal idea that most OneCare customers have no issues, how does MS know that? I can still run my computer without using the 'Tune Up'. Most customers, I would suggest, having maybe found a problem with the Tune-Up device, simply would cease to incept it, as it is the firewall which people are buying. Other gadgets can do sweeps.

My empirical evidence is that the vast majority of computer-savvy people I know, e.g. software writers, et al, have very distressingly dumped Windows lock, stock and barrel, because of the non-stop BUGS! I'm not a geek, so I'm holding firm and will no doubt sort out with Support's help the current two issues (OneCare's Tune-Up and the Windows Live update). Then, for a few weeks, I may be able to get a bit of work done, before the next onslaught.

Wilks,
    Ireland. 
    Tuesday, July 28, 2009 6:56 PM
  • Surely will!
    Tuesday, July 28, 2009 6:56 PM
  • WWilks,

I am sorry to read about your issues.  I went through the same thing, so I know how you feel!   I was also told that this crash was rare.  I started to think that it might relate to the type of computer.  I have a Dell Dimension E520.  Please post if you find a solution. 

It isn't the computer, it's simply something on it, in fact it might not even be the same thing for each of you.  You are simply having a severe crash of the core services within OneCare that results in the specific error message you've all seen.  By the small number of posts found here it's quite clear that this complete failure is also very rare, but unfortunately you've been affected.

So though usually it's valuable to look for others with your symptom, in this case it hasn't resulted in a solution.  That's why Steve has consistently asked each of you to provide the logs to OneCare Support, since that's the only way they can trouble-shoot it.  Without that everyone is simply grasping at straws.

Rob
    Tuesday, July 28, 2009 7:03 PM
  • I will do that. But, I've been here before! KB951847 was a monumentally problematic (taking into account the unnumerable blog posts on it) .NET update - again, a Microsoft component refusing to intergrate with pre-existing Microsoft items. The problem (here) was solved via Microsoft Support, over five days, by email. The support was thorough. The problem lay in a previous .NET update which was corrupt and failed to uninstal properly. A special tool was supplied which finally got rid of all of it. The point is that the rogue update was corrupt before it arrived here. (After this long procedure, KB951847 was finally installed successfully, to much rejoicing.)

Indications are that various (non-Windows) media components are making OneCare crash. But, my bet is that OneCare was imported here in a corrupt state, or is being caused to crash by another Windows component with which the various media applications correlate. Its crashing also coincides with a Windows Live update failing to instal, this - apparently - on account of the update being unable to uninstal the previous (barely used) Messenger application on this computer.

I'm afraid all of this reeks of there being too many cooks in the Microsoft kitchen! As regards the laudably loyal idea that most OneCare customers have no issues, how does MS know that? I can still run my computer without using the 'Tune Up'. Most customers, I would suggest, having maybe found a problem with the Tune-Up device, simply would cease to incept it, as it is the firewall which people are buying. Other gadgets can do sweeps.

My empirical evidence is that the vast majority of computer-savvy people I know, e.g. software writers, et al, have very distressingly dumped Windows lock, stock and barrel, because of the non-stop BUGS! I'm not a geek, so I'm holding firm and will no doubt sort out with Support's help the current two issues (OneCare's Tune-Up and the Windows Live update). Then, for a few weeks, I may be able to get a bit of work done, before the next onslaught.

Wilks,
    Ireland. 
    OK, you were writing this as I wrote my last response.

Finally we're getting to the root of your actual problem and it has nothing specifically to do with OneCare.  The fact that you have been having severe update problems with all sorts of different Windows and third-party programs (MSN is Microsoft, but an entirely separate development group, as is OneCare), indicates that your own problem is much deeper in the operating system.

Again, this isn't surprising based on the severe error coming from OneCare, but in the case of OneCare it's actually a symptom of the deeper problem.  Unless the PC that OneCare is installed upon is stable to begin with, OneCare will assuredly stress anything that's weak and cause it, or itself to fail.  Scanning applications (antivirus, antispyware, defragmentation) are some of the most stressful that operate on a PC, so they commonly find the weak points.  For example, the Spybot Search and Destroy product that I help support in a different forum is well known to overheat a PC with an ineffective cooling system including bad fans, and even simply too much dust in the PC.

In your case though, something is likely corrupt deep within your operating system software.  The instability this causes makes you believe that Windows itself is badly written, though in actuality 100's of millions of other PC users don't experience the problems that you have.  However, even I had several severe crashes shortly after acquiring a Dell Inspiron with Windows Vista, not because of Windows itself but due to conflicting out of date drivers included on the PC by Dell.  When I finally removed all of these the PC settled downand hasn't had an issue in over a year.

In some cases, a complete operating system re-install from the ground up is the simplest method to remove such issues.  However, as in the case of my laptop, sometimes the only solution is to find the offending software and remove it.  This is what OneCare Support can try to help you find.

Rob
    Tuesday, July 28, 2009 7:24 PM
  • Very interesting, Rob - and I am not saying that glibly.

Here's a wee report I put onto a Nokia blog very recently - the blog's address is:

http://discussions.europe.nokia.com/discussions/board/message?board.id=pcsuite&thread.id=14295&view=by_date_ascending&page=4

Here's the report:

"I am not sure if this is completely relevant, but I have had trouble from a Nokia portable device entry under Hardware in Device Manager (XP). My 'phone's name appears accompanied by a red 'X'. This apparently indicates that the thing the entry refers to has been disabled because of a device conflict. This phenonomen coincided with repeated 'blue screen' crashes. Uninstallation of the 'thing' (whatever it is) fixed it, and had no effect on ordinary use of PC Suite. I see an earlier post, referring to advice from Nokia in Germany, suggests this also. This cured my crashes. Yet, after a while - and with no relation to PC Suite use - the beast returns. So, I now regularly check the hardware section in Device Manager. The entry with its red 'X' is always obvious, as that part of the tree is automatically expanded."

And, to show that I was following your and Steve's advice, here's the submission I made to Support a few hours' ago:

"I installed the full (ie paid for) OneCare just several days ago.

Tune-Up repeatedly crashes, when the virus scan section is reached.

Event viewer suggests problems with various media components on this computer.

I'm afraid I am stuck as to precisely which item is in fact causing the crash, so help is needed, please.

By the time you read this, I will have run Tune-Up again and so will have here some completely fresh results.

Please note that the virus scan, when initiated on its own, has also crashed, though this did NOT occur with the free product. The scans in that instance ran to completion.

With regards,

William Lambton,

Ireland"

I forget the exact sequence, but I am pretty sure I uninstalled the Nokia driver referred to above some time earlier today (in fact yesterday, as it is past midnight here). Having been uninstalled a good while ago, it had reappeared as 'disabled' (as described above), but proved susceptible to being 'enabled' (whereas, when first encountered some time back, it proved susceptible to nothing other than uninstallation). So, I tried it in its 'enabled' state for 24 hours or so. Thus I think I am right in saying that for most of the time since OneCare was integrated into my system that driver has either been in a 'disabled' or 'enabled' state. Then today, when I again checked it, it had reverted to 'disabled'. Without a blink, I uninstalled it (as I had done some months ago). Tonight, I ran another OneCare Tune-Up, the first I think since the Nokia 'thing' was uninstalled (I don't actually really and truly know what a driver is, although I purport to be one behind the wheel of my car) and, lo and behold, it ran right through smoothly, even alerted me to a fresh IE8 update.

Previously - when I first encountered this Nokia device (which occured entirely by accident; I was doing something in its territory, but not with it, via Version Tracker) - it was causing a blue screen error/crash repeatedly during attempts to download a considerable quantity of Garmin data (3GB @ 1Mbps; I am now 7Mbps). This time it looks like it was causing lesser disruption, as only OneCare crashed, not the computer (would that be a case of OneCare offering itself as a sacrificial lamb?).

I'll run another Tune-Up when heading away from here later tonight, to make sure. When Support get back to me, assuming tonight's Tune-Up runs through properly, I'll see if I can get them to tell me how to get rid of the Nokia 'thing' completely. If you read the end of page one of the Nokia blog (my link takes you to page 4) you'll see some quite old advice from Nokia in Germany just, basicly, to get rid of it.

My next mission now is to get the Windows Live update, referred to in passing in one of my other posts here, to work. That probably is a Windows/Windows problem.

If tomorrow reveals Nokia definitively to be the OneCare villain, not Windows/Microsoft/BillGates/MSN/OneCare/MrsOgdenOfWoolhampton, then I owe all six of them an apology.

Regards,

Wilks,
    Ireland,
    0055GMT, 29vii09.

PS One other thing. In the Nokia blog, there is talk of the Nokia device conflict having to do with various media players, which may explain the media player entries (I referred to these earlier) in Event Log. 
    Wednesday, July 29, 2009 12:54 AM
  • Hi again.

As you will see from the rather long entry I made just now, my problem here is probably a Nokia driver problem. Whether that may make any sense your end, I cannot tell, however.

Best regards,

Wilks.
    Wednesday, July 29, 2009 1:03 AM
  • Yikes! I just read today's posts and have to say it is all too complicated for me.  Thanks for the answers.  I hope you find that the solutions are sucessful and lasting.
    Wednesday, July 29, 2009 5:07 AM
  • Hello again, Rob!

I have now had considerable dealings with OneCare support (from China). As previously, I am obliged to commend MS for its direct support services.

The "Service executable has encoutered a problem and needs to close" issue, here, was almost certainly caused by a disabled Nokia driver, as stated. However, we are also examining issues with Windows Deskop Search's Index Service and left-over AVG files. Coincidentally, the Index Service was got going by me only a short while before installing OneCare. Hitherto I used Search Companion, a companion I am keen to return to.

You seem no longer to be posting here, though your ideas would be welcome. I hope Not_a_geek isn't still too 'fazed'!

Wilks,
    Ireland,
    31vii09, 12.54GMT.

Friday, July 31, 2009 12:55 PM
  • Hi wwilks,

I haven't gone away, I just don't have anything specific to contribute to your situation at present.  You appear to be running down the specific problems with Support, so they are much better informed at present than I am of what remains to be resolved.

I'm happy to see you may have found a key issue with the Nokia driver.  Though I did take a quick look at that thread, I really don't have a specific opinion of whether that was the key cause of your issue or not, though I can see how a driver that is misbehaving could contribute.

All I can say is you've taken the correct path and possibly helped to resolve future issues for others as a side effect.  This is all we had asked and though it doesn't always go as well as your case appears to be, it's the only way to truly get a resolution with the potential to fix the problem permanently for everyone.

Thanks for taking the time.

Rob
    Friday, July 31, 2009 2:22 PM
  • Noted!
    Friday, July 31, 2009 2:47 PM
  • I am still reading the stream and hoping that it soon contains an answer that is applicable in my situation.  No Nokia driver here.  As far as I know I had not initiated any changes to hardware or software before the issue began for me.  The only thing I could find was a potential conflict with Windows Defender updates, which I was told was not even supposed to happen. It is obvious that it is not a universal problem, or there would have been a solution by now.   
    Monday, August 03, 2009 11:05 PM
  • i have found that one care does not work on my vista 32 computer and have stopped using it. I have found avast very good at solving problems.
    nipsy
    Monday, September 14, 2009 12:13 PM
  • I dumped One Care also. 
    Thursday, September 17, 2009 8:48 PM
  • Since all of those posts at the end of July, I have not had in fact a proper firewall in place here at all, just Windows' and the one on the router. However, once I get my act together in that department again, I'll probably return to AVG, which gives you the option to allow as a one-off any internet activity not initiated by the user (eg by a programme), whereas OneCare only gives you the option to allow permanently or block. So, with AVG you know each time there's any non-user activity. Meanwhile, I put in a gadget called BitMeter (http://codebox.no-ip.net - it's free) which shows any web activity (if not with whom), in or out. But, before going back to AVG, I'll likely run OneCare for a short while, to prove it is usable without glitches. 
    Thursday, September 17, 2009 11:22 PM