none
WHS Asking for Activation ahead of the 120 days trial period RRS feed

• Question

• I downloaded the 120 trial period copy from Microsoft.com and have been using it for about 20 days now more or less but I started getting a box asking me to activate WHS. with less than 100 days in it. Why is this happening and has anyone else experienced this?
    Tuesday, March 17, 2009 12:12 AM

Answers

• damian_i15 said:

I downloaded the 120 trial period copy from Microsoft.com and have been using it for about 20 days now more or less but I started getting a box asking me to activate WHS. with less than 100 days in it. Why is this happening and has anyone else experienced this?

You need to activate it in order to get the full 120 day eval (otherwise you only get 30 days).  You need to request a key through Connect.
    Tuesday, March 17, 2009 12:17 AM

All replies

• damian_i15 said:

I downloaded the 120 trial period copy from Microsoft.com and have been using it for about 20 days now more or less but I started getting a box asking me to activate WHS. with less than 100 days in it. Why is this happening and has anyone else experienced this?

You need to activate it in order to get the full 120 day eval (otherwise you only get 30 days).  You need to request a key through Connect.
    Tuesday, March 17, 2009 12:17 AM
  • I tried but this is what im getting:

Unknown Error

An unknown error occurred while processing your request. This is most likely due to a connection failure. Please try again.
    Wednesday, March 18, 2009 2:28 AM
  • damian_i15 said:

I tried but this is what im getting:

Unknown Error

An unknown error occurred while processing your request. This is most likely due to a connection failure. Please try again.

Are you getting that when you try to request the key, or are you getting that message when you try to put the key in the Console (or opening the Console)?
    Wednesday, March 18, 2009 2:45 AM
  • ok so I go into the connect.microsoft.com website and then I sign on to my live account. I then click on register for connect today and thats when i get the error. which sucks cause now is telling me that today is the last day to register. 

Unknown Error

Wednesday, March 18, 2009 9:50 PM
  • Hi,

I am also having trouble with this. I downloaded and installed the 120 trial version from microsoft.com and been using it for about 2-3 weeks now. I requested a key from Connect and I put the key in. That went all well and it showed in  settings->resources page that the evaluation period will expire some day in june (2009-06-14  i think it read) or atleast somewhere around that time.

Yesterday the homeserver icon showed that network was at risk and I clicked it and it said that I have 28 days left on my evaluation copy. Now when I look on the setings->resources it reads that evaluation period will expire 2009-04-18.

Anybody know why this is happening and is there something i can to do fix this?
    Saturday, March 21, 2009 7:25 AM
  • I would guess that you installed in mid-January? There is a known issue with the eval version where it reports an incorrect expiration data in one location. The correct expiration date is 120 days from when you installed Windows Home Server, so if you installed in mid-January, the mid-April date would be correct.

When your evaluation period finishes, a time bomb will be activated in the operating system, which will progressively disable your server. This time bomb is not tied to the product key, and can't be circumvented by changing system dates, etc. Reinstallation with a full version of the software is your only option if you want to continue using Windows Home Server.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, March 21, 2009 2:10 PM
  • Ken Warren said:

I would guess that you installed in mid-January? There is a known issue with the eval version where it reports an incorrect expiration data in one location. The correct expiration date is 120 days from when you installed Windows Home Server, so if you installed in mid-January, the mid-April date would be correct.

When your evaluation period finishes, a time bomb will be activated in the operating system, which will progressively disable your server. This time bomb is not tied to the product key, and can't be circumvented by changing system dates, etc. Reinstallation with a full version of the software is your only option if you want to continue using Windows Home Server.

Actually Ken, it would have been installed in mid-December (not mid-January) in order for the time bomb to kick in in mid-April.
    Saturday, March 21, 2009 6:07 PM
  • Ken Warren said:

I would guess that you installed in mid-January? There is a known issue with the eval version where it reports an incorrect expiration data in one location. The correct expiration date is 120 days from when you installed Windows Home Server, so if you installed in mid-January, the mid-April date would be correct.

No i did not install in mid-january. I downloaded the trial verion on March 1st and installed it maybe a week later when i got my hardware. I then looked at the expiration date and it said mid June somethin which would be correct with a 120 days from March. That's why I got so confused then it said that I only have 28 days left on the evaluation period.

EDIT: I even checked the install date by running systeminfo in a commandprompt and it says:
    Original Install Date:     2009-03-08, 21:40:02
    Saturday, March 21, 2009 8:15 PM
  • No i did not install in mid-january. I downloaded the trial verion on March 1st and installed it maybe a week later when i got my hardware. I then looked at the expiration date and it said mid June somethin which would be correct with a 120 days from March. That's why I got so confused then it said that I only have 28 days left on the evaluation period.

EDIT: I even checked the install date by running systeminfo in a commandprompt and it says:
    Original Install Date:     2009-03-08, 21:40:02
    Umm... Strange thing. My WHS server is still up an running even though on the settings->resources it says that the trial expired 2009-04-18. The WHS connector icon still says sometimes that i have 0 days left till WHS will expire but it seems keep working.
    My guess/hope is  that it will keep working to the original expiration day that i got first (2009-06-14) or something. Have any of you guys any idea why it is behaving this way?
    What is supposed to happen when the trial copy expires? cause my copy still takes backups and i can use it like normally.

Wednesday, April 22, 2009 6:12 AM