Checking product key

Question

• Is there a way to check an Office 2003 product key prior to install the software?

Monday, January 07, 2008 7:24 PM

Answers

• TTEMC,

If you are the original owner/purchaser of the Office Suite there should not be any doubts.  Curious is there a reason why you feel your product key may be non-genuine? Where did you purchase the copy of MS Office Suite? Should you have any doubts please visit How To Tell located @ http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/ . Next you can see genuine and non-genuine products here. Please use this site to help verify if your copy is genuine or not. Should there be any doubts follow the piracy link on this page and file a report.

The best way to validate if your product is genuine or not would be to run the MGA Diagnositc Tool after you have installed the Office Product you purchased. 

Thank you,

STephen Holm ,MS

Thursday, January 10, 2008 11:47 PM

All replies

• No.  Install and activate Microsoft Office, then visit http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/  and click on Validate Office.
    Monday, January 07, 2008 7:30 PM
  • Hello TTEMC,

Curious why do you need this particular key verified?  Did you receive a product key along with a Cetificate of Authenticity (COA) sticker @ the time of purchase? Is there any reason why you may feel this product key is non-genuine and if so please share the details with us so we may provide you with assistance.  Install Office and follow the steps below.

Download and run the utility at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 , then click the Windows tab, Copy to Clipboard, then paste the report into a New Post on this Forum.  This will allow us to see what you are experiencing. Next we will analyze what problems you may be having and formulate a resolution for you.

Step 2 is tell us about the COA. Tell us:
    1. What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center?
    2. Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?
    3. Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?
    4. DO NOT post the Product Key.
    5. Please also provide a short description of the issue you are experiencing.

NOTE: The data collected with the Genuine Diagnostics Tool does NOT contain any information that can personally identify you and can be fully reviewed, by you, before being posted.

Thank you,

Stephen Holm, MS

OGA Forum Manager

Monday, January 07, 2008 7:44 PM
  • I've read some of the problems with changing the product key once the software has been installed, is there some reason that you can't check it first?

Monday, January 07, 2008 7:47 PM
  • I don't necessarily think that the software is not valid, but what if the software key has been used and activated already?

Monday, January 07, 2008 8:00 PM
  • TTEMC,

We really need for you to run the MGA Diag test so we may analyze the situation. Next we can begin a troubleshooting process.

Thank you,

STephen HOlm, MS

Thursday, January 10, 2008 10:34 PM
  • I don't think the software or software key is invalid, my original question was to determine if the key was in use. If I were to install the software and validate the key wouldn't that make it unusable in a new system?

TTEMC

Thursday, January 10, 2008 11:34 PM
  • TTEMC,

If you are the original owner/purchaser of the Office Suite there should not be any doubts.  Curious is there a reason why you feel your product key may be non-genuine? Where did you purchase the copy of MS Office Suite? Should you have any doubts please visit How To Tell located @ http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/ . Next you can see genuine and non-genuine products here. Please use this site to help verify if your copy is genuine or not. Should there be any doubts follow the piracy link on this page and file a report.

The best way to validate if your product is genuine or not would be to run the MGA Diagnositc Tool after you have installed the Office Product you purchased. 

Thank you,

STephen Holm ,MS

Thursday, January 10, 2008 11:47 PM
  • I am a system builder, and this disk is an OEM package with COA. Normally the media goes with the system for recovery and a record of the serial number is kept with the client records. The problem is, this package was not where it was suppose to be stored and I'm not sure if it was installed on a system or not. Maybe I'm not asking my question in the right place, because there really isn't a question of being valid or not just if the key has been used.

TTEMC

Friday, January 11, 2008 1:12 AM
  • Hello TTEMC,

Guess I am confused. The package was not where it was suppose to be stored and you feel this may play a role in the validity of the package? How did you come by the software?  TTEMC was the package opened? If so then I can see your concern. Also do you have any reason why the package may have been compromised? I would recommend for you to contact http://www.microsoft.com/oem/contactus.mspx and pose your question @ Contacts and Useful Links. 

Please reference http://www.microsoft.com/genuine . This will explain the program.  The WGA Forum assists customers based on the Genuine Advantage issues and not necessarily checking individual product keys.

Thank you,

Stephen Holm

Friday, January 11, 2008 7:02 PM
  • I bought a NEW laptop from a local store and the laptop looks USED (scratched, microsoft sticker is torn) - is there anyway I can check to see what date the windows product key was registered? I just bought the laptop and it was supposely assembled two weeks ago, but I have a feeling the laptop is almost a year old, so I would like to see if the windows was registered before I bought it. The laptop is currently with my daughter, so I was unable to download the link you provided to run the exe to check it.
    Monday, January 28, 2008 9:34 PM
  •  trick408 wrote:
    I bought a NEW laptop from a local store and the laptop looks USED (scratched, microsoft sticker is torn) - is there anyway I can check to see what date the windows product key was registered? I just bought the laptop and it was supposely assembled two weeks ago, but I have a feeling the laptop is almost a year old, so I would like to see if the windows was registered before I bought it. The laptop is currently with my daughter, so I was unable to download the link you provided to run the exe to check it.

1. Click on the Start button and in the Start Search box type in:  CMD

2. The Command Prompt will appear at the top of the Start Menu.

3. Right-click on the CMD icon and select Run as administrator.

4. In the Command Prompt window type: systeminfo and press the Enter key.

5.  Look under Original Install Date.

Monday, January 28, 2008 10:16 PM
  • Stephen, 

I have a similar question.  I just assumed the “IT”, I use this lightly, responsibilities but I have most of our office computers have a designated pouch with the software that is installed on them.  I have one pouch that say’s this software not used or installed.  I would like to verify this.

Thursday, February 14, 2008 4:18 PM
  • There are several reasons one might want to check a product key - in fact, I'm rather appalled at the snippy  responses questioning validity in this case.  For example, I bought a copy of XP Home Edition, and think an ex-friend of mine may have copied down the product number and used it.  If so, it would be nice, and save a lot of time and trouble, to find out BEFORE starting to install it, since the machine is running a perfectly valid copy of Windows 2000 right now.

There are many people out there who would like to purchase copies of Windows via eBay or craigslist - it would be extremely useful to know if the product key is valid BEFORE purchasing it, or if the seller used it first on a computer of his/her own.

Just as an observation, I participate in forums on other subjects, such as kayaking and books and music editing to name just a few.  But only on computer forums do I encounter consistent rudeness and personal insults.  As an example, computer forums are full of users who insult people simply for posting tips that they personally already know.  Why?  Just because you know something doesn't mean there aren't thousands of new users who don't.  Why does someone feel compelled to write in and say, "Hell, that's nothing new, I've been doing it for XX years, what a stupid tip."  What is it about computer experts that makes them so lacking in basic courtesy? 

Oh well, if anyone out there knows of good forums and information sources where users know how to be polite and helpful, please let me and everyone else here know....'cause this one is obviously a loss.
    Sunday, March 16, 2008 1:11 AM
  • Thank you for your comments. I agree completely. There are many reasons why one would like to know whether a product key is genuine before installing software. As the Microsoft site expressly notes, counterfeit programs may be tainted with viruses or Trojans, and one might like to know if the software disk is genuine before installing the program. As a litigating attorney, I do not think Mr. Holm's second-rate attempts to cross-examine someone with the insinuation of wrongdoing provides any help (although it apparently makes Mr. Holm feel superior).Putting up little campaign ribbons apparently does not guarantee any helpfulness. It should. And for the record, Mr. Holm, I bought Office 2007 on Ebay, which was represented as a full retail sealed version, and compared it with the Rogues Gallery on Microsoft, and it meets all the Microsoft tests as to a genuine product. Last time I reviewed California (Ebay's headquarters), Washington (what do I need say about Microsoft), and federal statutes, it is not a crime to buy products on Ebay, nor is there any prohibition on a bulk sales purchaser trying to sell a failed store's inventory. In these economic times that there is unsold, sealed retail software products is not a surprise. I prefer to assume that a Ebay seller is trying a legitimate and not fraudulent sale. Nonetheless, I still want to be certain the product I bought is genuine.I have also in the past been in contact with Microsoft as well as the Ebay legal department to report sellers whom I thought were selling pirated software versions. As both Ebay and Microsoft will tell you, better fakes are made every day.I do not need generalities or platitudinous remarks, just a response to the question whether there is a way to determine whether a product key is genuine. It is not a response simply to state buy only from Microsoft.
    Tuesday, October 05, 2010 11:27 PM
  • Hello mcharles,

Please do not piggyback on someone else's post, especially if it has been dormant for almost 2-1/2 years.  Please click on the Ask A Question link to start your own post, and then follow these instructions:

In order to receive the best support, we request all users initially download and run the Genuine Diagnostics tool at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012. Click "Run" several times to download and start the Utility.  When asked, click the "Continue" button.  When the utility completes its run, click the "Copy" button, then come back here and paste the report into your post.

Buy Office 2007 Now, Get Office 2010 Free http://office2010.microsoft.com/en-us/tech-guarantee/microsoft-office-2010-technology-guarantee-FX101825695.aspx?CTT=97
    Wednesday, October 06, 2010 4:25 AM