Reactivation not allowed after BIOS upgrade - please help RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I installed Vista Ultimate a few days after its release here in the UK. However, I had a problem with any streaming media - jumps seemed to be caused by a bad BIOS driver for ACPI so I upgraded my BIOS and had to then reinstall Vista. I want to activate it again but it says the product key is already in use. What do I do now?

Thanks,

Simon

Tuesday, April 3, 2007 9:51 PM

Answers

• Please go to your System Properties panel (which you can access by right-clicking on Computer in the start menu and choosing Properties) and click on the blue "Change product key" link at the bottom of that window.  Then try entering your product key there.

If that doesn't work please try the following:

1. Run an elevated Command Prompt:

You can do so by finding the Command Prompt icon in Start Menu, right-clicking on it and selecting “Run as Administrator”.

OR

You can also type “command prompt” in the search box, right-click the Command Prompt icon and select “Run as Administrator”.

Click "Continue" in the User Account Control (UAC) pop-up if you have UAC turned on.

2.  In the command prompt window, type the following command and press Enter:

slmgr.vbs -ipk <insert your product key here>

3. Then type the following command in the command prompt window and press Enter:

slmgr.vbs -ato

Tuesday, April 3, 2007 10:46 PM

All replies

• Please go to your System Properties panel (which you can access by right-clicking on Computer in the start menu and choosing Properties) and click on the blue "Change product key" link at the bottom of that window.  Then try entering your product key there.

If that doesn't work please try the following:

1. Run an elevated Command Prompt:

You can do so by finding the Command Prompt icon in Start Menu, right-clicking on it and selecting “Run as Administrator”.

OR

You can also type “command prompt” in the search box, right-click the Command Prompt icon and select “Run as Administrator”.

Click "Continue" in the User Account Control (UAC) pop-up if you have UAC turned on.

2.  In the command prompt window, type the following command and press Enter:

slmgr.vbs -ipk <insert your product key here>

3. Then type the following command in the command prompt window and press Enter:

slmgr.vbs -ato

Tuesday, April 3, 2007 10:46 PM
  • Hi,

I've had trouble in changing the vista key - after having tried it your way and ensuring to right click and 'run as administator' on command prompt I'm still told that I haven't sufficient privilages to change the key....?! Could you please let me know as to why?

I am currently the administator and their aren't any other user accounts on this machine..
    Wednesday, December 26, 2007 10:56 PM