re-install VS re-format all ?!? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi to all of you,

I was just wondering if I should go for a re-install or for a full reformat of all my hard disk (I have a backup copy of all my files on a USB drive). I have issues with Volume Shadow Copy that prevents me from restauring any backup using "previous version". I want to re-install everything but what is the best option?

Does the re-install option "format" the SYS partition or does it simply tries to "repair" WHS ?

Thanks for your help

Dag

Sunday, November 25, 2007 6:11 PM

Answers

• Server Reinstallation = SYS partition formatted and all data left intact. Setup rebuilds storage pool, and previous versions (VSS) is kept.

New Installation = All data is lost and all drives are formatted. Useful if you want to start with a clean slate.

Monday, November 26, 2007 12:44 AM

All replies

• Esentially it "formats" the partion and installs a fresh copy as I understand it.

Andrew

Sunday, November 25, 2007 7:10 PM
  •  

What happens then to the snapshot of previous version, are they kept or not ?

Sunday, November 25, 2007 7:27 PM
  •  daghood wrote:
    What happens then to the snapshot of previous version, are they kept or not ?

I'm not sure, but I would guess that they are kept (since they are not on the same partition as the OS).

Sunday, November 25, 2007 8:26 PM
  • Server Reinstallation = SYS partition formatted and all data left intact. Setup rebuilds storage pool, and previous versions (VSS) is kept.

New Installation = All data is lost and all drives are formatted. Useful if you want to start with a clean slate.

Monday, November 26, 2007 12:44 AM