Backing up only changed or modified files RRS feed

• Question

• I am having trouble backing up only changed or modified files.  When I first set up my backup with Windows OneCare, there was the option to backup everything or just changed files which it did beautifully.  Now, when Windows OneCare tries to do the scheduled backups, it scans my computer for supposed new or changed files and then comes up with a backup estimate of files that is the equivalent of all my files plus any new or changed ones.  This presents a problem; because what it is doing is more than doubling the size of my backups every time it does a backup and therefore runs me out of memory on my hard drive very quickly.  The only way I have found around this is to delete my old back up and then just do a new one, but that can be very time consuming and just downright annoying.  Any ideas out there on how to fix this?

Sunday, July 20, 2008 6:20 PM

Answers

All replies

• Have you actually let it perform the backup after it provides the estimate? Perhaps it is providing a false estimate?

On the other hand, is there some software on your PC that might be changing the file information to make OneCare think that the files have been revised?

-steve

Monday, July 21, 2008 4:24 PM
  • It will not let me go to that option because it thinks that I do not have enough memory for the backup.  As far as another program changing my files, I have no idea.  I actually thought of that, but I have no idea how to check for that.  There are no programs that I have, that I am aware of, that would do that.  When it begins to check for files to backup it actually states that it is checking for only new or changed files, so I am at a loss as to why it is doing this.

Monday, July 21, 2008 4:57 PM
  • I think your best bet is to reach out to support at this point. Yes, it *should* be only looking at new or changed files. And, based on what you are describing, it thinks all or most of your files have changed.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Monday, July 21, 2008 5:53 PM