none
BCM on WHS RRS feed

• Question

• We have a three person business and all use BCM.  Since we travel we want to be able to update our common Business Contact Manager Database.  I was told that a reasonable soultion is to use Windows Home Server.  We have purchased a WHS server but cannot see how to put the shared BCM database on it.  I presume many others want to do the same, but see very little discussion about running BCM on a WHS.  Is it possible to do this?  Any suggestions where to find instructions?  Thanks.

Monday, September 28, 2009 12:42 AM

All replies

• It's not a supported use of Windows Home Server. That's why you don't see much discussion.

That said, what you will want to do (in general) is to simply install the database on your server. You'll need to log in using Remote Desktop, and if our server doesn't have an optical drive you may need to share the drive from some other computer and run the installation from that share, but if I recall the database is tiny and so you shouldn't have any trouble leaving it in the default location. If the database were likely to grow very large you would want to move it from the default location (on the C:\ partition) to a different drive which is not in the Windows Home Server storage pool. That's a much more involved process.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, September 28, 2009 12:53 AM