What privileges are required for update RRS feed

• Question

• Once Onecare is properly installed using an administrator account, what privileges are required to support the 'update' feature of Onecare?   Can a standard user be logged on yet get the latest updates installed?   Does Onecare use a system account when running so the logged in user is irrelevant?

To be more specific, I'm referring to the updates to the operating system that made available by Microsoft --- not the updates to Onecare.

Thanks 
    Monday, December 15, 2008 9:52 PM

Answers

• It would help if I read the second paragraph first.
    OneCare only monitors the status of Windows Automatic Updates and also verifies that all offered critical updates have been installed, otherwise reporting the PC to be at risk. OneCare does not download or install the updates, so any restrictions on installation are set by the AU process, not OneCare. In my experience, most updates will be installed at the scheduled check for updates/install (default AU setting, 3 am nightly) no matter who is logged on, if anyone.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare Forum Moderator
    Tuesday, December 16, 2008 1:51 PM

All replies

• Yes, OneCare will update the virus and spyware definitions with a Limited User logged on.
    When a major program update is offered, you may need to log in as an administrator, but I believe that is now a moot point as OneCare will only receive patches and definition updates for the remainder of it's life cycle.
    -steve
    Tuesday, December 16, 2008 1:49 PM
  • It would help if I read the second paragraph first.
    OneCare only monitors the status of Windows Automatic Updates and also verifies that all offered critical updates have been installed, otherwise reporting the PC to be at risk. OneCare does not download or install the updates, so any restrictions on installation are set by the AU process, not OneCare. In my experience, most updates will be installed at the scheduled check for updates/install (default AU setting, 3 am nightly) no matter who is logged on, if anyone.
    -steve
    Tuesday, December 16, 2008 1:51 PM