Need to reset password RRS feed

• Question

• I am using Microsoft Money Plus Deluxe version 17.0.120.3817.  I have a password saved to the program so I can sign in.  The problem is I have forgotten what the password is.  I want to reset or recover the password but don't know how.  Under File - Password Manager it requires the old password to set a new password.  How can I reset this password or turn off the password?  Thank you.
    Wednesday, August 1, 2018 7:09 PM

All replies

• You will need the credentials in effect at the time the file was saved, if you are to  change or remove the password.

For experimenting, I would copy the *.mny file to a different computer to do your trials. If you try stuff on your current computer, then Money would forget how to let you into your file. This sounds like a very precarious situation.

Write down what you remember. Keep paper and  pen next to the bed in case it comes to you.

Try the various permutations on the other computer. The password is case-sensitive.

Does it ask for just a password or does it ask for an email address plus a password? If an email address, the email account does not have to be active. It just has to be the same as was used when you entered it into Money.

One thing you may want to consider is to export all of your accounts to loose QIF files. Give each a meaningful name. These files could be imported into a new file with no password. However not everything gets carried into the new file.

Wednesday, August 1, 2018 8:09 PM
  • Cal, You seem very knowledgeable in this area.  Here's my situation.  I'm trying to import my MS Money Deluxe Sunset version file into Quicken.  Quicken  won't recognize the password,  so now I'm trying to remove the password from my MS Money file.  When I go to the Password Manager, it doesn't give me that option, but it does ask if I want to remove or change my Windows Live ID.  When I try Remove, a dialog box comes up indicating that it was not removed.  When I try to change the ID, I type in a new LiveID (I've tried the same one as well) and a password, but then a dialog box comes up saying that the email and password are incorrect.  Also, I don't see an option to simply remove the password from the account.  Very frustrating.  Is my only option the QIF approach?  If so, is there a way to export more than one account at a time?   I simply want to get over to Quicken and be done with Money, as I'm concerned about problems arising and eventually being totally hosed.  Thanks for any advice.
    Wednesday, August 22, 2018 11:31 PM
  •  Quicken  won't recognize the password,  so now I'm trying to remove the password from my MS Money file.  When I go to the Password Manager, it doesn't give me that option, but it does ask if I want to remove or change my Windows Live ID.  When I try Remove, a dialog box comes up indicating that it was not removed.  When I try to change the ID, I type in a new LiveID (I've tried the same one as well) and a password, but then a dialog box comes up saying that the email and password are incorrect.  Also, I don't see an option to simply remove the password from the account.  Very frustrating.  Is my only option the QIF approach?  If so, is there a way to export more than one account at a time? 

1. Any attempt to change your LiveID is not going to work. You will need to use the credentials that were in effect for the last several years. I don't have a file with a Live ID on it. But try this.

Disconnect from the Internet.  Pull your ethernet cable or turn off
    your modem -- whatever it takes.  Start Money, click below the
    password field to select "I want to sign in to Money directly,
    without access to all online services." then click Next etc.

To remove the Live ID, go to File-PasswordManager, and choose to
    remove your LiveID.

2. When exporting QIF, you must export each account separately. Use a meaningful filename. For investment accounts, if you track cash, you will have to export the investment part and the cash part separately.

Export all accounts to Loose QIF  files, one at a time.  I would suggest this: start the name of the QIF file for the investment
     accounts with an number, and start the name of QIF files for the cash
     accounts associated with the investments with a letter.  Thus you might have
     1BrownInvestment.qif and BrownInvestmentCash.qif.  This would cause the
     investment account to be processed prior to the associated cash account.  When
     the BrownInvestment got created, you would specify that you want to track the
     cash transactions.  Then specify that the cash transactions account for
     BrownInvestment was where the BrownInvestmentCash.qif transactions get sent.

:
    Create a new Money file with
    File->New->NewFile.
    Name it something like Try2018.mny.

Click Next.

Select (*)I don't want to use a password.
    Next.
    On page titled "Add your accounts", click "Skip account setup." if you want to wait until the

QIF import to create the accounts. Alternatively you could create empty accounts at this point,

and then you will have those to choose from during the QIF import.
    On page titled "Congratulations" click Finish.

Then you could try your same import. Money should then ask about an account. Let Money

create an account, and see what shows up.

To switch back to your regular file, Click File and select your real file from the list at the bottom

of the drop-down list.

Then
     File->Import->RecoverAccounts using Ctrl+<click> to select each and all of the
     QIF files that you made. Make sure that you understand and follow this step. Then click Import.

Money should then ask about an account as the files are processed. Let Money create an

account that you will provide the name for. Since you gave the QIF files meaningful names, you

should know what to name the account. Since you started the filename for any investment

accounts with a '0`, I expect them to come in first.

Take notes. The above description was based on a particular version of Money, so there could

be some variation. Let us know how it goes.

Wednesday, August 22, 2018 11:49 PM
  • Phew! That's a day's work.

One does wonder why move from MSMoney (free) to Quicken (not free) especially as it seems such a pain. I confess I have not used Quicken. There was a lot of understandable anxious chatter at the time MS ceased supporting Money that it would stop working; together we have worked out that will not happen suddenly.

Dr AS

Thursday, August 23, 2018 5:28 PM