Unable to start archiving service(invalid SQL instance) RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everybody,

I installed OCS 2007 on 1 PC running windows server 2003 SP2, and everything is working fine, thanks GOD... the thing is that i installed the Archiving and CDR server on the same PC and while activating the archiving service, the service won't start. It give me a 0xC3EC783D stating that failed to start SQL service or invalid SQL instance.

Microsoft SQL server 2005 is installed by default when i installed the OCS 2007.

So how can i define a SQL instance?

Any help will be hugely appreciated.

Thank you very much.

Elliot Antoine Nehme.

Tuesday, October 14, 2008 12:55 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I am assuming you deployed the OCS 2007 Standard Edition which installs a SQL 2005 Express Edition on your server to
    host the OCS Databases. Unfortunately you cannot re-use that SQL instance for your Archiving server. You will need to deploy an additional SQL instance.

Have a look at this thread for more information:
    http://forums.microsoft.com/unifiedcommunications/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2870655&SiteID=57

Sincerely,
    Tonino Bruno

Tuesday, October 14, 2008 1:21 PM
  • Hello there,

Thanks a lot for your reply.

How can i deploy an additional SQL instance?

Thanks a lot

Tuesday, October 14, 2008 7:00 PM
  • Not something I have done before but supposedly you can run the SQL 2005 SP2 Setup Wizard and install a new named instance which you use for your archiving server.

Sincerely,
    Tonino Bruno
    Tuesday, October 14, 2008 9:04 PM
  • Elliot,

You can [but shouldn't] collocate the Archiving and CDR services on the same box that is also your Front-End Server.  It is also not supported to collocate the Front-End server's backend SQL database and the Archiving/CDR server's database on the same SQL Server [instance] .

And since it appears you are working with a Standard Edition which automatically deploys SQL locally, that is the (free) SQL Server Express 2005 installation which is limited to a single instance per server.

To properly deploy Archiving with a Stand-Alone Standard Edition deployment your best bet is to install both the Archiving/CDR components and SQL Server 2005 on a second, dedicated server.

Post update: Corrections in [red]

Tuesday, October 14, 2008 9:21 PM
  • Let me correct and clarify a few of my previous statements as the updated version of the supportability guide has different statements regarding SQL support.

1. Collocation of the A/CDR and Front-End roles are supported but strongly not recommended.  You could do it in a lab or POC deployment, but I'd never do it in a production deployment.
    2. Collocation of the A/CDR and Front-End databases on the same SQL Server is now supported by Microsoft, but each requires it's own dedicated instance.

Also, this statement in the Supportability Guide might also be cause for some confusion:

Collocation of the archiving database is supported on both Standard Edition servers and Enterprise Edition Front End Servers; however, we do not recommend collocation on Standard Edition servers because of the potential impact on performance. Collocation of the Archiving and CDR Database with the Back-End Database for an Enterprise Pool is not supported.

Microsoft specifically calls out different supported scenario for a database with only Archiving data version one with Archiving and Call Detail Records.  That one had me scratching my head for a couple minutes as well...

And to totally make things confusing, R2 has now seperated Archiving and CDR roles and put CDR toegether with QoE.

Wednesday, October 15, 2008 11:58 AM